• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Discovering Another Mad Dash (Oct 14): Heading Home and Finally finishing this TR #1523 (05/03)

Anaheim Arrival Day

Thanks to franandaj, we have a booking for lunch at Club 33 (yes, THAT Club 33). :yay: :yay:

I’ve googled the lunch menu and it looks fantastic; particularly the dessert cart! Needless to say, I hope that I don’t embarrass our hosts by the fact that I’m planning on taking as many photographs as possible in the establishment.

Lunch promises to be THE highlight of this trip; and I am so looking forward to it, not just because of the special location but particularly because this will be my first DisMeet with franandaj. I’m really pleased to be able to meet her in person, as she has become such a special, lasting friend on the Boards.

I figure that the DS will probably be full and bored with food after about 45 minutes; and that he will probably want to depart and hit more rides. We might resort to bringing an electronic babysitter for DS so that DH can stay a bit longer to enjoy the food and locale. The alternative will be that DH will head out with DS and I’ll stay chatting with franandaj over a longer lunch and coffee.

princess::upsidedow

Take pictures away! I always do when I'm there, as to the other guests, it is such a destination that we should make sure our waiter takes a picture of our party with both our cameras! I always go crazy with pictures when I go there. Ask the waiters about the fixtures and furnishings and they are thrilled to give you a tour of the place, the bathrooms (especially the ladies) are not to be missed! They do serve a leisurely lunch in that they give you plenty of time to enjoy the seafood salad bar before necessarily placing your order that DS might become quite impatient!

I'm looking very forward to it! It will be so much fun to share sarcastic comments via voice as to boards! :lmao:

Yay!

Take pictures away! I always do when I'm there, as to the other guests, it is such a destination that we should make sure our waiter takes a picture of our party with both our cameras! I always go crazy with pictures when I go there. Ask the waiters about the fixtures and furnishings and they are thrilled to give you a tour of the place, the bathrooms (especially the ladies) are not to be missed! They do serve a leisurely lunch in that they give you plenty of time to enjoy the seafood salad bar before necessarily placing your order that DS might become quite impatient!

I'm looking very forward to it! It will be so much fun to share sarcastic comments via voice as to boards! :lmao:

Yay!

:yay: Yes. It will be nice to add facial expressions to the sarcastic voice!

The day looks like fun! I'm sure you guys will have a good time and get along well :teeth:

:hug:

This year, I have discovered amateur photography....and it's all thanks to the Dis.

We bought a dSLR camera in March this year and I found out that the DisBoard photography subforum was running a photography scavenger hunt over summer. So, I figured it would be a bit of harmless fun for me, I would learn to use the camera and it would also push me out of the house during the southern hemisphere winter months. Needless to say, I don't go anywhere now without carrying my camera.

My new found calling in life?

I am convinced that I would make the perfect food photographer....not because I take good shots; but because I would be happy to eat good food (and take some shots beforehand).

Since picking up the camera, the majority of my shots are pictures of food and drink. And last night's dinner excursion ending up being no different!

I had the opportunity to go the one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants for dinner last night. Maze opened in Melbourne in March this year and I'd been meaning to go visit since then. It seems appropriate to post this here as there is a sister Maze in Los Angeles.

This is the signage for the restaurant.

MazeDinner002.jpg

(Yup…that’s me)

We waited in the lounge for the rest of our dining party to arrive.

MazeDinner003.jpg

DH and I had agreed that I was going to be the Designated Driver for the night; so I had a lime and soda. DH chose the Apple Isle. I wished I had paid more attention to what it was made of, but I didn’t.

MazeDinner004.jpg

It was delicious (I only had a sip).

Our dining party had booked the private dining room at Maze for the night. I didn’t realize until now that most of my shots inside the room consisted of people in them, so I won’t be posting any of those. But here are a couple that were just of the surrounds.

The light fitting…

MazeDinner005.jpg

The centerpiece…

MazeDinner006.jpg

The sideboard in our room….

MazeDinner011.jpg

Looking out of the dining room….

MazeDinner013.jpg

Our waiter placed warm bread on the table with seaweed butter and sea salt.

MazeDinner014.jpg

The seaweed butter was salty enough and no extra sea salt was required! It added that ‘sandy’ flavour to the butter and was really mor’ish.

MazeDinner015.jpg

Our menu – 6 courses, although our waiter told us 7.

MazeDinner010.jpg

The first course was artichoke and it was fantastic. The leek and truffle mayonnaise really worked well together and the artichoke was beautifully cooked.

MazeDinner019.jpg

And because my dining companions were who they are, some of them didn’t eat artichoke, so they got a cold seared tuna instead.

MazeDinner020.jpg

And because my dining companions were who they are, one of them didn’t eat artichoke and is an anti-pescatarian; so he got a green pea soup, garnished with smoked eel, instead.

MazeDinner022.jpg

I did mention this particular diner is anti-pescatarian? Well, he didn’t like the smoked eel either…so it was farmed out to the rest of us. The smoked eel was wonderful.

The marinated beetroot with goat cheese was another highlight of the meal. For my taste, the goat cheese was too mild and mellow; and it needed just a little bit more bite to elevate this dish. And surprisingly, the Cab Sav vinaigrette was sweet. But it was another great dish.

MazeDinner024.jpg

For my money, the pan-seared scallops were THE highlight of the meal. The scallops were perfectly cooked and the kelp and champagne foam were perfect against the softness of the scallops.

MazeDinner026.jpg

I chose the duck for my next course. A wonderful, unctuous duck – pink on the inside and crispy skin. The sweet corn and cracked wheat accompaniment was lovely; and the cherries provided the extra sweetness required.

MazeDinner038.jpg

Others in the party chose the lamb. It was nice; but the duck was unanimously voted the better of the two picks.

MazeDinner037.jpg

My DH is vegetarian; so he ended up with a snapper. It was well cooked; but not a patch on the duck.
MazeDinner030.jpg

Did I mention the particular diner that is anti-pescatarian? Well, he doesn’t eat lamb nor duck either. So, he got a beef dish. I managed this snap of the dish but never found out if it was good or not.

MazeDinner036.jpg

The unpronounceable French cheese and quince toast was lovely. The cheese was particularly bitey and wonderful. The quince paired really well with the cheese and elevated it beyond the humble offering it appeared to be.

MazeDinner039.jpg

Another highlight for the meal was dessert. I didn’t care much for the bayleaf sorbet. It sadly lacked any flavour and for my taste, the dish would have been better balanced if the sorbet had been of a soft citrus flavour. Otherwise, the orange jaffa was brilliant! And the black rice? Just like having rice bubbles in the dish....Superb...and crunchy.

MazeDinner043.jpg

Sadly, it really was only 6 courses – turns out the waiter couldn’t count – but we sat there until the very end, slightly disappointed that there wasn’t a complimentary amuse bouche or additional palate cleansers.

We had 3 french wines to complement the meal (I only had a tiny sip of each) and I wish I had paid more notice to the labels….but I was at the other end of the table, too busy enjoying the meal instead.

That looks like a fantastic meal! I'll have to get to the one in LA! I've wanted to go there since I found out it was opening.

What was your occasion for having the private room?

That dinner at Maze looks amazing! All too fancy for me though, I'm a simple-food person (but I do like watching Gordon Ramsay on telly).

I'm enjoying this PTR, and am so excited that you will be going to Club 33!

I'm really looking forward to (hopefully) meeting up with Chesire for dinner our first night at DL, although Aust is extremely shy and likely will be embarassed by it all :rotfl2: I take after my Mum, what can I say? I think you and I would get on well IRL, Princess!

Back to sunbaking by my pool now...

Wow, that really is a mad dash trip, you are sure going to be tired after this holiday. But if the opportunity is there to go to Disney even for one day you have to take it. Especially if you get to go to Club 33 (so jealous):banana: I am sure that it will be an experience of a life time and something that not many Disney fans get to experience.

You need to add Indiana Jones to your must do list, In my mind this is my favourite ride! Even if I only went on it '97 :laughing: I have great memories of it.

I really hope that you enjoy World of Colour, it looks spectacular.

Can't wait for more updates.

That looks like a fantastic meal! I'll have to get to the one in LA! I've wanted to go there since I found out it was opening.

What was your occasion for having the private room?

Our party for the night consisted of 11 adults. Maze offered us the private room as it was the only room with a table big enough and we took it. The catch? We had a minimum spend to meet for the night....$$$$

That dinner at Maze looks amazing! All too fancy for me though, I'm a simple-food person (but I do like watching Gordon Ramsay on telly).

I'm enjoying this PTR, and am so excited that you will be going to Club 33!

I'm really looking forward to (hopefully) meeting up with Chesire for dinner our first night at DL, although Aust is extremely shy and likely will be embarassed by it all :rotfl2: I take after my Mum, what can I say? I think you and I would get on well IRL, Princess!

Back to sunbaking by my pool now...

Heidi - If you're ever in Melbourne, let me know. We can do a DisMeet here; and afterwards, we can definitely say that we get on well IRL! I'm convinced that we would too.

Wow, that really is a mad dash trip, you are sure going to be tired after this holiday. But if the opportunity is there to go to Disney even for one day you have to take it. Especially if you get to go to Club 33 (so jealous):banana: I am sure that it will be an experience of a life time and something that not many Disney fans get to experience.

You need to add Indiana Jones to your must do list, In my mind this is my favourite ride! Even if I only went on it '97 :laughing: I have great memories of it.

I really hope that you enjoy World of Colour, it looks spectacular.

Can't wait for more updates.

Thanks for posting on my PTR! Another update coming up shortly.

I didn't add Indiana Jones to my must-do list in the first instance because DS and I put the list together. I told him it was like the Dinosaur ride at AKL....sadly, he didn't really enjoy that ride. So, he wasn't keen on IJ and didn't want to add it to the list; although I'm pretty sure he will change his mind when I get him on. :)

On Anaheim Departure Date, we have a number of possible options that could serve as stopping points along the way:
  • Catch up with Shushh, potentially at Santa Monica pier.
  • Head to Farmer’s Market/Grove for some shopping and lunch.
  • Head out on the road and find a nice little town to stop at.
  • Shopping…potentially head towards Camarillo Factory Outlets.
  • A combination of the above

We have no definite fixed plans for this day, other than to head towards Solvang.

Solvang

images

For those of you that have not been to Solvang, it is a little taste of a Danish town in the middle of the Californian Central Coast. I swiped a couple of pictures of the net for visual effect and hope to have my own set of photographs to put in the TR section of this thread. (Apologies for the size of the pictures.)

From the moment you drive in, you’re pretty much transported to Europe, complete with Danish pastries and paved/cobbled paths.

images

images

DS has never been to Europe and we figured this might be a way of getting him to think about a trip in an opposite flying direction.

There were a number of accommodation options in Solvang that we considered; but in the end, we settled on one where the rooms were individually decorated. We did consider a couple of the big chain hotels; but really, we figured that we were heading into a country town so a breakaway from mainstream seemed in order. The room does include continental breakfast.

Our check-in is at 3 pm and after settling in, we will head out for some exploration and find somewhere for dinner.

DH and I have been to Solvang once before…and I think it was in 2000 when I was pregnant. So, technically, DS has also been to Solvang as well.

DH remembers a shop in Solvang that sold Tiffany lamps. He specifically remembers a lamp that was shaped like a musical instrument and wants to head back there to see if it is still available. Yes, I know….If you see the massive hole in this train of thought and feel strongly about it, by all means…you can tell DH for me.

I know better.

I would like to hit the Elverhoj Museum in Solvang, one of only a few museums outside the home country that focuses on Danish culture. There is also the Nojoqui Falls County Park that has a 164 foot waterfall, hiking trails and playgrounds. DH and I really like the sound of the Nojoqui Falls.

images

Alternatively, we could go to the Santa Ynes Mission.

images

Up to Monterey Peninsula

After our continental breakfast, we’ll continue our road trip up PCH. There are a number of possible stops on this route:
  • Pismo Beach Monarch Butterfly Grove
  • San Luis Obispo
  • Mission Trail (San Miguel, San Luis, San Juan, San Antonio, San Carlos)
  • San Simeon/Hearst Castle
  • Morro Bay
  • Big Sur
  • Carmel

I would personally love to get back to Hearst Castle and take another tour. But DH isn’t that keen. So, there is only a remote outside chance of us stopping there.

images

If the Pismo Beach Monarch Butterfly Grove is opened, I’ll be making DH stop there, even if I have to open the car door and jump out! We once caught the tail end of the MB’s up in Pacific Grove and I would love to see these Butterflies in the Eucalyptus trees.

images

I suspect that we will be stopping practically every 10 minutes on this road to take photographs; but as we have the whole day to get from Solvang to Monterey (normally a 2 – 3 hour drive at the speed limit), the only issues will be avoiding traffic and watching out for mudslides.

Monterey

Our stop for the night is a hotel in Monterey.

My original preference was Clint Eastwood’s Mission Ranch in Carmel. The website indicated that there was a 2-night minimum stay at the weekend and when I called them up, reception confirmed the same thing. The only option was to wait until the Wednesday before the weekend when they would be likely to release rooms for one-night stays. I would have liked to wait but figured that I would have very limited opportunity to call from the plane to secure a booking.

So, I asked some ‘Old Fogies’ Dis-ers that live in NorCal about recommendations and the hotel of choice seemed to meet with their approval. The hotel isn’t in the heart of Cannery Row; but it is within walking distance. There is also a chance that one of the Old Fogies and I would do a mini Dis-Meet, either here or in Silicon Valley during the week.

There are a number of things to do in Monterey and I’m interested to visit California’s First Theatre, which unfortunately seems to be undergoing renovations. Still, it might be interesting just to walk past and take a look at the structure from the outside.

images

The Monterey State Park seems like it contains a number of historic houses that might be worth taking a look at. And then there is always the beach to visit!

images

Alternatively, there are a couple of chapels and cathedrals that might provide some architecture interest on this visit. Failing all else, we can always take a look at the artsy shops in Carmel..

images

or the touristy shops in Cannery Row...

images

I suspect that we will not have enough time on our drive-through visit to Monterey to explore the area properly.

Heading towards Silicon Valley

After our 2 nights on the road along Pacific Highway, we will make our way to Silicon Valley and our home away from home. DH will need to start work the day after we arrive and that leaves DS and myself with 5 days worth of exploration. We are hoping to catch up with family during this stay. I have a cousin that lives in San Francisco and DH has an uncle and cousins in the area. It will be a bittersweet visit with DH’s uncle and family, completely tinged with sadness. My FiL (his uncle is a brother to FiL) passed away just before Christmas and the San Francisco family will want to catch up on all the news.

On Anaheim Departure Date, we have a number of possible options that could serve as stopping points along the way:
  • Catch up with Shushh, potentially at Santa Monica pier.
  • Head to Farmer’s Market/Grove for some shopping and lunch.
  • Head out on the road and find a nice little town to stop at.
  • Shopping…potentially head towards Camarillo Factory Outlets.
  • A combination of the above

We have no definite fixed plans for this day, other than to head towards Solvang.

Let me offer you a hint. GET OUT OF LA COUNTY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!! :lmao:

Rush hour has become longer and longer, the window in the day that used to have light traffic has become very small. If you don't get out of LA County before 2 or 3PM you run the risk of hitting the Vetura County commuter traffic. I know it was the Christmas Holidays, but it took us six hours to drive about the same distance that you will be going. We took the I5 to the Ventura Freeway. If you plan on taking the 405 (Santa Monica), well the locals don't call the the 4 or 5 hour freeway for nothing! :rotfl2:

I'd place my money on going lickety split to the Camarillo outlets for some shopping and have a nice Seafood lunch at the Ventura Harbor Village. Then you can move along to Solvang and hopefully arrive before dark! If you're on the road by about 9AM most of the traffic should be overwith, not gone, but at least not stopped.

Sounds like fun the rest of the trip, I've never been anywhere you're considering except Hearst Castle, so I can't comment on any of those!

That all sounds like a great trip, you're so lucky to have so many Disney opportunuties. And you make me feel less weird for going to DL for a week! You had me worried on the APIS thing, I thought I had to fill something else out but then I checked the website and realised I'd already done it through Qantas. And Heidi I'm not 'extremely' shy, just not good at making new friends or talking to people I don't know...but you'll break the ice for me!

That all sounds like a great trip, you're so lucky to have so many Disney opportunuties. And you make me feel less weird for going to DL for a week! You had me worried on the APIS thing, I thought I had to fill something else out but then I checked the website and realised I'd already done it through Qantas. And Heidi I'm not 'extremely' shy, just not good at making new friends or talking to people I don't know...but you'll break the ice for me!

Hey Aust! Thanks for stopping by. Good that you already did the APIS thing....it was completely new for me! It might have been something that we should have been doing all this while but I never realised until now. :rolleyes:

And you do quite well by yourself at breaking the ice! :goodvibes

Let me offer you a hint. GET OUT OF LA COUNTY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!! :lmao:

Rush hour has become longer and longer, the window in the day that used to have light traffic has become very small. If you don't get out of LA County before 2 or 3PM you run the risk of hitting the Vetura County commuter traffic. I know it was the Christmas Holidays, but it took us six hours to drive about the same distance that you will be going. We took the I5 to the Ventura Freeway. If you plan on taking the 405 (Santa Monica), well the locals don't call the the 4 or 5 hour freeway for nothing! :rotfl2:

I'd place my money on going lickety split to the Camarillo outlets for some shopping and have a nice Seafood lunch at the Ventura Harbor Village. Then you can move along to Solvang and hopefully arrive before dark! If you're on the road by about 9AM most of the traffic should be overwith, not gone, but at least not stopped.

Sounds like fun the rest of the trip, I've never been anywhere you're considering except Hearst Castle, so I can't comment on any of those!

Alison - that is very sound advice. I would love to run to Camarillo as quickly as possible (I have very fond memories of shopping there once); but we really didn't do justice to the Farmer's Market the last time because DS was asleep. We might decide to get there early (I expect we would be there before 10 am), look around have lunch and leave the area around 1 pm.

I'll mention it to DH and see what he thinks.

One of the unwritten divisions of duties in my household is the booking of car hire when we travel.

Afterall, I end up researching, organising and booking the flights, DFAT, ESTA, APIS, hotels and excursions; so it only seems fair that DH gets the pleasure of organizing the cars. Besides, DH usually hires a car on his business trips to the US; so he has Hertz gold member relationship, the hire company of choice for his work.

Sometimes…okay…most times….er……all times; I’ll encourage DH to book the car hire earlier rather than later. I also admit that I do keep an eye on the special offers from the car hire companies from time to time.

One such offer cropped up for Alamo…a mid-sized rental for 1 week, pick up LAX drop-off SFO, with NO drop-off fee…was available in early December. I pointed out the deal to DH. And yes, I realize that Alamo is NOT Hertz. But this part of the trip was pure holiday and where holiday car hire is concerned, my preference is clear….whichever company has the best value deal gets my business. Would you believe that the price came to about $250 including all taxes and insurance?

I think I reminded DH about the deal…oh…at least twice if not thirty times a week. DH finally got round to booking the car hire yesterday. Turns out that there are no cars available from Alamo for a LAX pick-up and SFO drop-off for that special price. There were cars available from John Wayne Airport in Orange County for SFO drop-off and DH contemplated taking a taxi between airports to get the deal. He started the booking process and in between start and end, the on-line price jumped to $1000.

DH is normally a very patient man. But the one thing that really annoys him is on-line booking systems (which is why I end up doing the bulk of things) and he was so ticked off with what he called “gross rip-off” that he went on to Hertz and booked a car for about $400 :sick:. Pick up from LAX, drop off in Silicon Valley (close to where we are staying) and easy transfer across to the work car hire booking.

I know we’re all thinking that he should have moved on the Alamo deal earlier; but there are reasons why he didn’t move quicker.

And one other thing – we recently found out that one of our credit cards was being used in Las Vegas. Neither DH nor I have been in Vegas in a number of years. The bank called us up and asked if the transactions were kosher. The card was immediately cancelled and we have been re-issued with new ones.

The interesting thing is that this particular card is only used when we travel overseas or for on-line purchases. The card was last used in our October trip and we only pulled it out twice. Once at the CSR reception and the second time at a restaurant in Silicon Valley. Both times, the card did leave our line of sight. Food for thought, isn’t it?

And one other thing – we recently found out that one of our credit cards was being used in Las Vegas. Neither DH nor I have been in Vegas in a number of years. The bank called us up and asked if the transactions were kosher. The card was immediately cancelled and we have been re-issued with new ones.

The interesting thing is that this particular card is only used when we travel overseas or for on-line purchases. The card was last used in our October trip and we only pulled it out twice. Once at the CSR reception and the second time at a restaurant in Silicon Valley. Both times, the card did leave our line of sight. Food for thought, isn’t it?

That is so scary, what could you do to avoid this? Just use cash for everything? Except I wouldn't like to carry that much cash around with me.

I am not brave enough to hire a car in America, and Adam isn't too keen either. When I was little and went to America my father crashed the hire car we were in. When he turned into another road he went to the wrong side of the road. I am now too traumatized to try on my own. I have no problem driving at home, just in a country that drives on the wrong side of the road :goodvibes

I take a combination with me - cash, Traveller's Cheques, Travel Card, Credit cards and my normal ATM cards.

I'm happy to use the Credit Cards where I can see them swiping the card e.g., usually shopping; but most of the time we pay with Traveller's Cheques. I know it's pretty old-fashioned; but TCs are quite widely taken in the US and they give the change in cash.

DH will now never hand over his CC in places where he can't see them swiping it and handing it straight back to him.

And we've always driven in the US; so it's almost like an automatic thing now for us to drive on the other side of the road. The hardest bit is getting out of the car hire parking lot!

I thought I was the only person around who still uses travellers cheques!

Very jealous of all the scavenger hunt opportunities you will get!

I thought I was the only person around who still uses travellers cheques!

Very jealous of all the scavenger hunt opportunities you will get!

They'll mostly be of the Disney and food ones! I've given up on all the snow and de-icing pictures; but am hoping to get the breath in cold air, bird feeding and mad bomber hat....

They'll mostly be of the Disney and food ones! I've given up on all the snow and de-icing pictures; but am hoping to get the breath in cold air, bird feeding and mad bomber hat....

You beat me to the Nutcracker window display. May still do that if it is still up. We were going into the city tomorrow, but this damn rain! I am also hoping to get to Seaworld these school holidays. Maybe able to find something icy at the polar bear and penguin displays. DH works in commercial refrigeration, so hoping he may come across an icicle.

Do you have any idea what a po' boy is? I was wondering if it is like Subway, but then I was going to use that for a deli sandwich.

A Po' Boy is a type of (New Orleans) sandwich...bread stuffed with deep fried crumbed shrimp. They serve them at Bubba Gumps and also at Ralph Brennar's Jazz Kitchen.

ICY! :idea: I think I remember seeing icicles at the Aquarium...penguin display.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter