Discovery Cove on a Stormy day! (A quick Trip report)

Stinasmom

DIS Veteran
I posted a trip report on the DCL boards that included our day at Discovery Cove. It was truly one of the highlights of our trip! We traveled to Florida and on the cruiseline in December 2008. This is the link to the whole report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1998164

And here is what I posted about DC:

I had heard that Discovery Cove is worth every penny, but really, it is a lot of pennies for a family of 4. We did go on a discounted day... saved a few bucks but still, the cost for one day is comparable to a 5 day park hopper pass to WDW.
Given the choice, I would DEFINITELY go back to Discovery Cove for one day and skip WDW altogether! Yes, it is that good.

StockPhoto01.jpg

This is a stock shot that came with our CD of pictures from around the park and the dolphin experience. It was NOT sunny that day... until 3pm or so.
In fact, we were still on the look out for severe thunderstorms. Any sign of lightening and we would all be pulled from the water. That would have been a serious bummer considering the cost!

The park officially opens at 9am, but we got there at 8:15 and were about the 6th family to be checked in. They couldn't have been nicer with the checkin process. They did NOT make us wait until 9am; the whole process was leisurely, easy, and cheerful. This is when you get your dolphin time. Ours was 10:15am... just what I wanted!

After touring you through the lush landscaping into the park they have you pose for your first picture... which turns out to be the only "dry" picture you're likely to have all day! Unfortunately I forgot to scan this one, and it didn't appear on the CD. If I remember right, there is not an extra charge for this picture.

Then they tour you in very small groups around the major areas of the park to orient you. You also have a park map on your lanyard with your ticket. The ticket is the size of a credit card and the park map, same plastic, is a bit longer. Very convenient!

Breakfast is next:
DCP_3528.jpg

Which is included. Everything is included. All food, beverages (including beer, but I heard today that this has been discontinued at all Anheuser-Busch parks... darn InBev!), towels, snorkel gear (you keep your snorkel), wet suit, soaps, shampoo, etc. All you need to do is show up on street clothes and bring a swim suit.

After changing into the wet suits, I put the camera in the locker, so many of these next pics are from their photographers.

StockPhoto02.jpg

This is a favorite picture... it gives you an idea of what it is like. When I tell people about it, it is hard to call it a water park because then they picture all those gaudy plastic slides. This picture shows the coral reef lagoon, a bit of the sting ray lagoon, some of the pool (fresh water and warm!) and in the foreground, part of the 25 minute lazy river (also fresh water and warm!)

The coolest thing is that the lazy river flows right through the aviary! You get in by floating through these waterfalls as seen behind us:
M121108_00_0216.jpg
You can then just look up and all around or actually get out of the water and walk through sections.
StockPhoto03.jpg
StockPhoto14.jpg

Up next... DOLPHINS!

It has been so hard to find time to work on this trip report! It seems like a luxury I have to earn. I think I can spare some time today... so here is more on our FAVORITE day of our vacation.

Discovery Cove!

Does this look like a happy family??!!
M121108_00_7696.jpg

Our dolphin's name is Thelma. We got 30 minutes with her and the trainer... lots of "touch" time. She felt like a firm hot dog, I guess. The experience was really special. Dolphins seem so happy all the time.
We fed her fish, tossed out hand signals that made her do tricks, and got to be in the water when all the dolphins put on a little show.
StockPhoto17.jpg

Best of all, though were the kisses and the rides we individually got to have with her. Here are our pics:

M121108_00_7668.jpg
M121108_00_7674.jpg
M121108_00_7676.jpg
M121108_00_7680.jpg

The rides take place out in the deep part of the lagoon back into the shallow. You hold onto the left fin with your left hand and the dorsal fin with your right then just let her swim you back in! Best ride of the trip!
M121108_00_7720.jpg

DD even showed her braces in this smile!

M121108_00_7727.jpg

Ha! Look at his little legs dragging behind him. Fun to be small sometimes!

M121108_00_7735.jpg

And another big smile!

Here is DD at the Sting Ray Lagoon:
M121108_00_9792.jpg

Can you tell how hard it was raining at the time?

I think it rained the hardest during lunch but it was still warm enough to eat outside under covers. We, and most everyone else just wore our wetsuits and flip flops to lunch.
Luckily, despite the heavy, and I mean HEAVY rain from about 11:30am to 2:30pm, there was not lightening. Heck, we were wet anyway, the rain was kind of refreshing!
The best part of the weather scare, was that there were only 300 guests in the park that day! Discovery Cove limits admission to 1000, but 300 was such a luxury, especially after the unusually crowded Disney parks.

By 3:00pm the rain stopped and we actually saw some peaks of sun!
DCP_3536.jpg

Here I am enjoying the last of the free beers. The kids played in the sand...
DCP_3531.jpg

We used every minute of our day here. The kids and I floated the lazy river a few more times, back into the coral reef area to swim with the huge coral fish and eagle rays.
Although the park closes at 5pm, they were very nice to let people get showered and changed at their own pace and even had the snack bars open past 5pm.

On the way out you stop at the pavilion where you order the photo packages, if you want them. We, of course did. How could you not? These pictures are priceless, OK, they cost about $150. We didn't get the video. But, as I have said, this day was worth every penny!!!

Thanks for the post, Love thos photo's. We can't wait for are trip to Discovery Cove in April :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: Glad to hear you had a great time even thou it rained :sad2: , I was wondering about what happens when it rains :confused: ,and praying it doesn't when we are there :beach: Thanks again !!! :thanks:

Thanks so much for posting this, your enthusiam about your expierence finally got the rest of my family to say yes we're going to go (everyone was very iffy about the cost). I'm glad you had a great time, even in the rain!

Can i ask when you went? (maybe you mentioned it and i missed it) We're going in march and while I remember the weather being great when I went last year, I'm hoping it won't be too chilly if it rains

Great report and photos - thank you for sharing them. :goodvibes

It's a while away yet, but we've decided to do DC after our DCL vacation in September 2010. :thumbsup2

THANK YOU!!!

This was an excellent trip report, and I was able to show the kids what a day at Discovery Cove would be like, and what the swim with the dolphins would be like. They could then make their choices of whether or not they wanted to do the dolphin part. I was suprised that my 12 year old boy said nope, but the 10 year old daughter said 'you bet' (I thought it would be vice versa)

Thanks again
:thumbsup2

Thanks so much for posting this, your enthusiam about your experience finally got the rest of my family to say yes we're going to go (everyone was very iffy about the cost). I'm glad you had a great time, even in the rain!

Can i ask when you went? (maybe you mentioned it and i missed it) We're going in march and while I remember the weather being great when I went last year, I'm hoping it won't be too chilly if it rains

We were there on December 11, 2008.

We don't remember ever being cold. You can get the full wet suit, the short sleeve/short leg one, or just wear a vest with your swimsuit if it is hot out. (Yes, you wear a swimsuit under the wet suit).
Remember, the salt water pools where there is wildlife (coral reef, sting ray lagoon, and dolphin areas) are cold water... like the ocean.
That is relative to the fresh water heated pool and lazy river which felt really warm in comparison.

Unless it is unusually cold in Orlando (like a day or two recently), you are warm enough in the wet suit even in the rain. If you chill some, there are towels to wrap in or just go in the regular pool water.

Enjoy!!

Thank you. These are the best pictures I have found. I will be taking my daughter in 4 weeks. I just noticed you are from Ellensburg so I doubt you were very cold when you were in Orlando. I attended Central years ago and Ellensburg was the coldest place I've ever lived. Still remember chasing my hat across campus on the windy mornings. Thanks for the great report.

Thank you. These are the best pictures I have found. I will be taking my daughter in 4 weeks. I just noticed you are from Ellensburg so I doubt you were very cold when you were in Orlando. I attended Central years ago and Ellensburg was the coldest place I've ever lived. Still remember chasing my hat across campus on the windy mornings. Thanks for the great report.

Hello Fellow Washingtonian! Yep, it's cold here in E'burg... lightly snowing too.:cold: DH teaches at CWU (music)

You will have a blast at DC! I wish I was going again! (hopefully in 2011)

Here are a few more pictures:

DCP_3532.jpg

It was so not crowded that day; frankly, there are tons of chaise lounges, enough even if it is full, but the ones here in front of the pool are limited.

DCP_3530-1.jpg

In front of the coral reef lagoon... there much more to this water area behind the rock island you see.

StockPhoto13.jpg

There was a big eagle ray like this in the coral reef pool that I would swim above with my arms out to see if his wing span was bigger than mine... YEP! I will never forget swimming with these huge rays!

DCP_3537.jpg

By the end of the day the rain had dried up, we changed to dry clothes, and enjoyed a last snack and beverage.

I actually have pretty limited pictures as I kept the camera in a locker for the majority of the day... since I was IN the water for the majority of the day. Really great fun!!!

Your trip report made me book DC in 10 days, had debated and debated with the price and the economy! Then along came your report/pics and of course the $50 off per ressie, and my hubby and I jumped on it. Thanks so much. My youngest daughter (7) has been asking to do this forever, and just last week asked if we had enough money to do DC yet, and we said "not yet" she actually cried, and cried. Now we have booked it and not told eithier one of them, we are going to video tape them when we tell them eithier the night before or that morning. It is very hard for me to keep this a secret! It will be memories forever!

Are you allowed to keep a camera with you if you want?
Sure. You could have a beach bag with personal stuff and just stake out "your" spot or chairs. It's one of those things like at any beach where you decide if you are comfortable leaving your stuff when you're not there. But, then it is there when you come by and want to take pictures.
I do suggest having an underwater camera... I left ours back at the condo. I hate to think about the pictures we could have gotten with one:sad2:

They do have a souvenir stand with cameras, flip flips, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc... all that stuff you may have forgotten or need. Don't bother bringing your own sunscreen if you will be in any of the waterways. They have this special bio-safe stuff they give you. You can get more at the little shop.

I am so excited to hear from those of you who are going and excited by my report! It was just the perfect thing for my family. We did try to make it a surprise from the kids... they'd kinda figured it out by the night before when we told them:rolleyes: . It was their Christmas present... not that the rest of the trip and cruise weren't :thumbsup2

I just got done with your trip report and it is great. I had been thinking about taking my daughter on a Disney Cruise and your report has made me want to do it even more.........26 days and counting until we get on the Alaska non stop from Seattle. Sorry to hear you were one of the many stuck in Seattle in the snow.......I was forced to miss the last Seahawk home game because I couldn't get out of my driveway so I suffered a little. Thanks for the great report and great pictures.

Your trip report and pictures are amazing! It sure does look like you had a wonderful time! And you have answered so many questions!!

We were suppose to go on the DCL in July for the 3 night cruise with our friends and then a week at WDW afterwards. We decided that the cruise was going to be to much for us so we cancelled it. We are going to WDW in April and still going to do the 10 days in July. I was trying to think of something to surprise my DS since we had to cancel and was originally thinking of the Behind the Seas Tour at Epcot and then just yesterday I thought about Discovery Cove!!!

Did you also get a ticket to Sea World with your Discovery Cove ticket?

Thanks again for sharing your awesome day!!!:)

Thanks for sharing, I just might have to start saving for our 2011 trip! It really is amazing...

Your trip report and pictures are amazing! It sure does look like you had a wonderful time! And you have answered so many questions!!

Did you also get a ticket to Sea World with your Discovery Cove ticket?

Thanks again for sharing your awesome day!!!:)

My pleasure! And yes! Admission to Sea World is definitely included... even more than I thought....
They tell you when you book DC to decide what park you want your additional 7-day admission to.... Sea World, Aquatica, or Busch Gardens - Tampa Bay. We chose Sea World. For up to 7 days prior to your DC visit, you can show up to the Sea World offices just to the left of the ticket booths (there is a sign for Discovery Cove guests), enter the building and go to the window and get a one day pass for each in your party. It seems you need to do this each day you come... we only went one day.
But, after you actually go to DC, your ticket from there (which resembles a credit card on a lanyard) will get you into Sea World for an additional 14 days! (expiring 14 days after that date). That surprised me. We didn't plan any additional time for Sea World and could not take advantage of this.

Frankly, Sea World is a 2 day park at best... it just isn't that big, but is great to move slowly, see it all, relax about the crowds knowing you can come back. They get you with the $12 to park each day, the food, drink and souvenirs you might buy.

Still, it all is a great deal if you have animal lovers in your family!

My pleasure! And yes! Admission to Sea World is definitely included... even more than I thought....
They tell you when you book DC to decide what park you want your additional 7-day admission to.... Sea World, Aquatica, or Busch Gardens - Tampa Bay. We chose Sea World. For up to 7 days prior to your DC visit, you can show up to the Sea World offices just to the left of the ticket booths (there is a sign for Discovery Cove guests), enter the building and go to the window and get a one day pass for each in your party. It seems you need to do this each day you come... we only went one day.
But, after you actually go to DC, your ticket from there (which resembles a credit card on a lanyard) will get you into Sea World for an additional 14 days! (expiring 14 days after that date). That surprised me. We didn't plan any additional time for Sea World and could not take advantage of this.

Frankly, Sea World is a 2 day park at best... it just isn't that big, but is great to move slowly, see it all, relax about the crowds knowing you can come back. They get you with the $12 to park each day, the food, drink and souvenirs you might buy.

Still, it all is a great deal if you have animal lovers in your family!

Wow..that is great!!! Except I just priced it out for the 3 of us. :sad: I am reeeaaaallly going to have to work on selling this to my DH. And selling everything I own LOL. It sounds so much fun. I have to show him your pictures and maybe he will be sold on it. :)

Thanks for such a great report! I have been saving for 3 years to take my girls to DC..we are finally going in March....I cannot even begin to tell you how excited we are...my oldest dd (14) has been asking to go for sooo long....

I loved your pics & your report...thanks :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter