Discovery Cove on a Stormy day! (A quick Trip report)

What if you don't want to swim with the dolphins? Is your price of admission reduced?

How far in advance do you have to book?

I'm thinking about sending my dh and ds, and spending the day at the resort pool. I am not much of a swimmer, so I'm wondering if this would be too intense for me?

I know absolutely nothing, I just stumbled on this thread. Please be patient with my questions if they are too simple...

TIA!
Maria

What if you don't want to swim with the dolphins? Is your price of admission reduced?

How far in advance do you have to book?

I'm thinking about sending my dh and ds, and spending the day at the resort pool. I am not much of a swimmer, so I'm wondering if this would be too intense for me?

I know absolutely nothing, I just stumbled on this thread. Please be patient with my questions if they are too simple...

TIA!
Maria

Hi Maria!
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your questions... you know, life and all happening around here.:rolleyes:
Maybe you have already found some answers, but here is what I know...

Yes, there is a lower price for a non-dolphin package.... it is $100 less!

There are discounts to be had... one for booking this spring before 3/31 - $50 less per person, or other select dates through out the year are discounted similarly as an "early booking discount."
I would suggest picking a range of dates and seeing if any of them qualify for a discount.

As far an not being much of a swimmer.... are you a floater? Sorry, not trying to make that sound bad, but really, there is little actually swimming involved.
The warm (fresh) water pool doesn't get all that deep and you can use the noodle floats... we did this in the lazy river. You can also use a life vest (they look like the ones people wear water skiing).
The coral reef lagoon is very deep in parts but many people like me don't like to go under with snorkel gear... we just float along the surface and look around.
The sting ray lagooon is meant to walk through.

The only swimming we really did was out to the middle of the dolphin pool so the dolphin could pull us back in.

I remember seeing people there who obviously didn't get in the water at all but wanted to be there with their families. The probably paid the non-dolphin rate.

There are also MANY lifeguards everywhere.

I say GO! If nothing else, try the lazy river! It goes through the aviary! And you can take priceless pictures if you are not in the water as much.

Check out their website, and/or call them. They couldn't be nicer!

Thanks Stinasmom!. I went to the website and found a ton of information. It does sound like it could be a very peaceful day, and I am indeed a floater! I can swim, I just don't have much technique, and I wouldn't put me up against any ocean current!

I can see why you had a wonderful time!

Wow ur pics were so great and beautiful I actually almost cried (you can see we're in bad need of a vacation up her in the Northeast lol). I hate the idea of wetsuits tho. Do you only use them for the animal swims and then take them off to do the others? Thanks for the info. You were great :thumbsup2 . :yay:

Wow ur pics were so great and beautiful I actually almost cried (you can see we're in bad need of a vacation up her in the Northeast lol). I hate the idea of wetsuits tho. Do you only use them for the animal swims and then take them off to do the others? Thanks for the info. You were great :thumbsup2 . :yay:

Aww... Thanks. It was such a relaxing, beautiful (despite the weather), and exciting day.

Great question about the wet suits... We wore ours all day because it didn't get above 64 degrees or so. They keep you pretty warm when you are out of the water too. The water where there are fish or dolphins is much colder than the pool & lazy river, but if it was a summer day, you would not need the wet suits at all... just a vest. So, depends on weather and you. You can certainly switch back and forth...
:)

aww thanks for posting pics! im going to swim with the dolphins in may...and i really want to buy a picture with my boyfriend and i with the dolphin! u said its about $150?:goodvibes

aww thanks for posting pics! im going to swim with the dolphins in may...and i really want to buy a picture with my boyfriend and i with the dolphin! u said its about $150?:goodvibes

thanks! We really are cherishing these pictures.

I went back and looked at my visa statement and found a $167 charge from Discovery Cove. I don't remember buying any souvenirs so I think that was likely the picture package plus tax.

Now, we did buy a bigger package that included several prints as well as the CD so we could make our own prints of various sizes. The CD also had so many great stock shots of the grounds.
You can pay a lot less if you just want a specific picture. They also take a photo of you at the very beginning... before you get wet. This picture is included with park admission.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but they have photographers around the park like IN the lazy river, at the sting ray lagoon, and likely other places like the aviary. They are like photopass people... let them take your picture and scan your card so you can view them later and see if they are worth gettng. If you buy the package that includes the CD, these pictures will be on there too.
I liked this because we were in the water so much, I left my camera in a locker for the majority of the day.
Have fun!!!

Here is the new Photo Price List :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,
I just got this from Discovery Cove and I wanted to share with everyone

Dear Peggy, Thank you for contacting Discovery Cove. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with planning your adventure.
Your dolphin interaction will automatically be photographed and videotaped and you needn't worry about asking anyone for this service. Following the interaction, your photographer will accompany you to a viewing cabana where they will show you your photos and a DVD segment and explain the packages available. The DVD includes the entire 30 minute interaction of the group of 8. You may see random photographers in the Aviary or Tropical River and these photographs can be added to your CD as well.

The photo package prices and individual prices are:

Adventure Photo Package - $139.00 / $148.04 including tax

(5) 6 x 8 Prints

(2) Key chains with choice of print

(1) Digital Photo CD

Basic Photo Package - $59.00 / $62.86 including tax
(3) 6 x 8 Prints

(2) Key chains with choice of print

Additional Items With package / With Tax or A la carte /With Tax

4” x 6” and Wallets $10 $10.65 $20 $21.13

6” x 8” Print $10 $10.65 $20 $21.13

16” x 24” Poster $25 $26.63 $35 $37.28

24” x 36” Poster $35 $37.28 $45 $47.93

Interactive DVD $50 $53.25 $75 $79.88

Digital Photo CD $75 $79.88 $125 $133.13

Marble Tiles $39 $41.55 $59 $62.84

* All prices are in USD.

Thank you for your interest in Discovery Cove and we look forward to having you visit us in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any ad di tional questions.

Best Regards,
Cheryl Rutherford
Guest Relations
Discovery Cove

I hope this well help everyone, Peggy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter