Discovery Cove review 12/6/15

Ann Marie McDonald

Earning My Ears
My husband, son and I went to Discovery Cove on Sunday, 12/6/15. We loved it!! It costs a fortune I know but was totally worth it. By the time all was said and done (admission, dolphin swim, SeaVenture, picture/CD package and a couple of souvenirs) we spent approx. $1150 We did the Dolphin Swim around 9:30 a.m. with a small group consisting of three families including ours. Our dolphin was LaToya and she was adorable. The interaction was short overall but excellent hands on interaction and experienced trainers who answered all the questions. We did purchase the pictures and CD. There were 3 packages offered and we went with the second one which was $169 and included six 6x8 prints, a frame and a CD with all of the pictures. We also did the SeaVenture dive. This was an additional $60pp. I am glad I did this and my son and husband really enjoyed it as well. Not sure if I would do it again. This lasts about 45 minutes with about 25-30 minutes in the water. These photos are not included in the other picture CD. These would have been $60 extra if we wanted to purchase. They do give one member of each party an underwater camera to take photos and that was pretty cool.
An area that really stands out as my favorite was the aviary. It was unbelievable! We went right away in the morning and go the opportunity to feed and interact with the birds a lot. At one time, my son had three birds on outstretched arm and one on his head. We went back to the aviary several times throughout the day. Going first thing in the morning will guarantee the most interaction. I highly recommend this.
The facilities are wonderful. Great food and snacks. Way better than I expected. The showers were clean and very organized. The entire park is so peaceful and it is really a great relaxing day. It was a bit chilly in terms of weather but the lazy river is heated and felt like a bathtub.
We would consider going again but during a warmer time of year. I would do the Dolphin Swim but skip SeaVenture. We are considering taking our daughter in May 2016. She will be participating in the Disney College Program and we are going to go visit her over her 21st birthday.

Sounds wonderful! We went last April and it was, by far, the highlight of our Orlando trip. When we asked the kids where they wanted to go on vacation this year, they replied "Discovery Cove"! We thought we would never go back and here we have booked another Discovery Cove day this spring (minus the dolphin interaction this time, to save a bit of $).

I agree about the aviary - it was an amazing experience. My husband had three birds on him at one point and my daughter was just over the moon that she got to feed such beautiful birds by hand. Amazing!

We are booked for January 31st! Thanks for your review! It says that check-in begins at 7:30am, but the park does not really open until 9:00am. I don't think it will take us that long to eat breakfast. Do you have to check in so early? Are there advantages (besides more time to eat) to this? TIA!

We are booked for January 31st! Thanks for your review! It says that check-in begins at 7:30am, but the park does not really open until 9:00am. I don't think it will take us that long to eat breakfast. Do you have to check in so early? Are there advantages (besides more time to eat) to this? TIA!

The earlier you check in, the earlier your dolphin swim will be (as you are generally scheduled in order of arrival/check-in).

This is particularly advantageous in the summer months, since afternoon dolphin swims can often get delayed due to the thunderstorms that blow through. Afternoon dolphin swims in the winter months are sometimes better than those in the morning, as the air temperatures tend to be warmer mid-day.

The earlier you check in, the earlier your dolphin swim will be (as you are generally scheduled in order of arrival/check-in).

This is particularly advantageous in the summer months, since afternoon dolphin swims can often get delayed due to the thunderstorms that blow through. Afternoon dolphin swims in the winter months are sometimes better than those in the morning, as the air temperatures tend to be warmer mid-day.

We are not doing the dolphin swim. So maybe we don't need to be there too early?

We are not doing the dolphin swim. So maybe we don't need to be there too early?

Nope, I wouldn't bother. Other than staking out a specific spot on the beach (or securing one of the hammocks located throughout the park), there would be no need for you to arrive super early.

I know there are risks with everything, but, just wondering if there's ever been reports of dolphins biting
or hurting anyone?

I got hit in the leg with the dolphins tail. It hurt and left a red mark but I didn't mention it to any employees. It was fine within a few hours and didn't stop me from enjoying my day.

Hi!
I know on their website, Discovery Cove will let you change your reservation date within a 7 day period of the original for no addition charge. It also states that dates outside of that time will be subject to current prices.
Does any know if you are allowed to go into the next year -- say October to the following March?
Thanks!

Avoid being the person on the end of the group. I was, and was wacked every time the dolphin turned round.

I don't think dolphins like the taste of humans so you should be ok.

The only thing that hurt was my wallet after when they suddenly show you all your photos and video at $100+

I got there super early, I wasent too happy about getting the dolphin swim first I thought the Dolphins be half asleep still but so glad I did now because come 10am was heavy heavy rain lol all day but still enjoyed the day I hope to go again this year

If we buy the Sea World package that includes Discovery Cove and Aquatica how many days should we plan on spending at DC? I think we can do Sea World in one day maybe two and the water park will only be for one day as well. But we will also have the 5 day Magic your way tix for Disney. I'm planning on a 10 day trip. Does this sound good? We don't do many resort days when we have Disney trip.

I also have a OT question: I debated on Lego Land if we only did Sea World(no DC or AQ) but then I was reading about Lego Land and it sounds like DC would be a much better idea. Only 3 out of my 5 kids will enjoy LL. Our kids ages will be 16&13(both girls) and the boys will be 10,10&6. WDYT? Lego land or Discovery Cove? (Disney and Sea World are a defiant for this trip)

One day at Discovery Cove includes 14 days of admission to both SeaWorld & Aquatica (to be used before or after your DC day, or a combination of both). You don't get multiple days at DC unless you purchase them, which is going to be big $$ .

I would plan one day for Discovery Cove, one day for Aquatica, two days for SeaWorld, and a day to recuperate lol. If you are doing 5 Disney days *and* the SeaWorld parks, you will need a down day for everyone to rest. 10 consecutive days of go, go, go is A LOT (especially in Florida, where the heat and humidity can be killers at certain times of the year)...even if you're not generally resort people. If you really did still want to fill in that empty day, add another day at Aquatica (its a fabulous waterpark, so fun!....and free with your DC passes).

For kids ages 6-16, I definitely vote for DC over Legoland (which is geared for the under-12 age group).

One day at Discovery Cove includes 14 days of admission to both SeaWorld & Aquatica (to be used before or after your DC day, or a combination of both). You don't get multiple days at DC unless you purchase them, which is going to be big $$ .

I would plan one day for Discovery Cove, one day for Aquatica, two days for SeaWorld, and a day to recuperate lol. If you are doing 5 Disney days *and* the SeaWorld parks, you will need a down day for everyone to rest. 10 consecutive days of go, go, go is A LOT (especially in Florida, where the heat and humidity can be killers at certain times of the year)...even if you're not generally resort people. If you really did still want to fill in that empty day, add another day at Aquatica (its a fabulous waterpark, so fun!....and free with your DC passes).

For kids ages 6-16, I definitely vote for DC over Legoland (which is geared for the under-12 age group).

Thank you for all the info :) :)

Just to throw another option that works "Wonders" for our family - "WonderWorks"!!! See what I did there...sorry, couldn't resist. It is basically a science center, but the indoor ropes course is fun, and the magic show is phenomenal and includes pizza, salad, popcorn, soft drinks, beer and wine. Our family will usually sleep in that day, grab brunch, then casually head over there about 1-2 pm. We spend about 3 to 4 hours playing around and watching my kids do that astronaut training simulator...ugh, no way for me. Then we catch the magic show - it's sort of an active recovery day. Not nearly the abuse of concrete on the feet all day, but a lot of fun for the kids, and some for the adults as well.

It is an option, but I also agree with Gina, another day at Aquatica since you have the tix is a great idea. I've said it many times - my kids have been to Disney, Universal, Sea World, Discovery Cove, season pass holders at Cedar Point in Ohio, Kings Island, etc. and their favorite park of any of them is Aquatica. Given one day at any park of their choosing - they have always chosen Aquatica. It is a can't miss for us.

We want to take advantage of staying at DC for most of the day. Thinking of leaving around 4:30 (not even sure what time it closes) and then going to Sea World and do a few of the newer attractions. Any thoughts or recommendations?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter