Discovery Cove, Vests and wet suits question

crazyme5kids

DIS Veteran
We are going to DC April 1st, and I would like to know opinions about vests verses wet suits. which did you use and why? Also we will have an almost 1 year old with us, but she is on the small side, do they have tiny life vests? what about for a four year old? What do older kids generally prefer to wear, vests or wet suits?

We went to DC 3/1/01 with boys ages 2 and 4. We all wore the vests. The only people wearing wetsuits seemed to be the trainers who stay in the water a lot. My kids would have freaked out if I tried to get wetsuits on them. The water is heated in the park except for the dolphin swim area. You're not really in the water for that long with the dolphin swim. Just keep moving. As I recall, everyone in the water is required to wear either the reflective vest or suit and they had all different sizes for adults and children and the employees help you find a fit.

I went in March last year and my boyfriend and I used Wet suits! That water can be chilly!

They have full length and 'shorty' wet suits - we used 'shorty'. The dolphin and corel reef waters are not heated (the fishys don't like that) - so wearing a wet suit really helped - once you warm up you stay that way.

The best part - you can always change your mind! Vest too cold - get a wet suit. Wet suit too warm - get a vest! :)

-Kim

I just called Discovery Cove, and was told that they only have swim vest for 30lbs. and up. They suggested I call a pool supply place, but I think my best bet would be a marine or boat (or whatever they are called) place. Would anyone know of a place in Orlando to buy a swim vest for an under 20lb one year old. It must be coast guard approved.

crazyme5kids go to Target or Walmart. They have all you are looking for all CG approved. Have a great time:bounce: :Pinkbounc

I don't know much about snorkeling or wets suits, or things of that matter. I read somewhere here that the wetsuits help keep you afloat. Is this true? Do the vests keep to too afloat, inhibiting submergion and the such?

-Kevin

The wet suits will help keep you bouyant (did I spell it right?), the vests more so. If you want to be able to go underwater easily go with the wet suit.

Thanks. I'm an alright swimmer, but I've always had a problem staying afloat. Knowing that the wet suits will help me not drown and die is comforting. ;)

Thanks again. I'll be there tomorrow.

-Kevin

I actually ditched the vest to try and dive down towards the bottom - it was virtually impossible. The water is so salty, you'd really have to try to drown.

Like others have said, it's really hard to dive underwater with the vests on. I was able to do it, but I'm a pretty strong swimmer. My DW and DS actually switched from vests to wet siuts becase of this. The wetsuits do help you stay afloat, just not as much as the vests.

Things to keep in mind:

1. The wetsuits will keep you warm as well as help you float. This is nice in the dolphin pool, but maybe not so nice the rest of the day -- especially if you're there in July.

2. The vests rub against your chest. This is vital information for men who'll be wearing a vest all day long without a shirt on underneath -- let's just say I was finally able to sympathize with my wife's breast-feeding complaints. They hurt for 2 days afterward. :blush:

3. I'm not sure if this is still the case (we were there in 2001), but my DW and DS were both able to switch from vests to wetsuits during the day.

Hope this helps.

Fizban257 said:
Like others have said, it's really hard to dive underwater with the vests on. I was able to do it, but I'm a pretty strong swimmer. My DW and DS actually switched from vests to wet siuts becase of this. The wetsuits do help you stay afloat, just not as much as the vests.

Things to keep in mind:

2. The vests rub against your chest. This is vital information for men who'll be wearing a vest all day long without a shirt on underneath -- let's just say I was finally able to sympathize with my wife's breast-feeding complaints. They hurt for 2 days afterward. :blush:

So Nipguards might help? My husband is a runner and uses these all the time to help keep them from getting tender.

is it madatory to wear a wetsuite or vest, if you are already a good swimmer and don't mind the potential colder water ?

The water was pretty cold for the dolphin swim. My husband and son changed to a vest from the wetsuit after it got a bit warmer outside - it was cloudy and rainy. The water was much colder than Typhoon Lagoon, but as cold as the Shark Reef there. It could be a bit uncomfortable without the wetsuit or vest.

My kids were able to change from vest to shorty wet suit with no problem. The staff were lovely - very helpful, even giving my son 2 different sized suits to try on. It was 20th July and very hot so I made the kids wear their UV suits as I knew they'd be in the water all day BUT - they got so cold wearing these in and then out of the reef (they were 3/4 leg and sleeves) that they changed to the suits.

I will warn you the Cpral Reef and Dolphon Pool is Freezing. I was shocked how cold it was. You do get used to it but its a bit of a shock. Make sure you take water shoes as I didn't and hurt my feet on rocks in Coral reef and dolphin area. Have to agree vests really do rub against your chest etc.

Since I'm from the UK and therefore am used to swimming in the cold, cold British ocean waters, and I don't want to wear a vest or wetsuit, and I am a competent swimmer (I used to race), can I just wear my own swimsuit or it a wetsuit/vest compulsary?

Wet suits don't really help you swim so I don't think being a competent swimmer is relevant when asking whether or not you have to wear a suit. I think they want you wear the vests so you can't get to the bottom. Kind of like how they don't give you fins at Typhoon Lagoon. They don't want you going to the bottom to bother the fish who are purposely hiding from you. If their wet suits are especially buoyant, then I would imagine their intention is to keep you at the top and therefore would not likely let you go without. I couldn't find anything in my reservation to confirm that though.

If you are really curious you should try e-mailing them. They are pretty quick to reply to questions. Okay, they answered my question about photographs quickly but not sunscreen. I wanted to buy my own supply of their sunscreen instead of paying a premium there since they provide a "small supply". I e-mailed Panama Jack and they claim it's made exclusively for the park (even though it's called Eco-Guide or something). I'll probably wear the wet suit just to protect half of my body from the sun!!!

Has anyone been who could tell me how much sunscreen they provide and how much it costs to buy more in the park?

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter