Discovery Cove, Vests and wet suits question

We are going to DC at the end of May when it will be very hot. My DD will get a wetsuit because she is doing the dolphin swim. My DH and I are going,but we are not swimming with the dolphins. He and I plan to just get the vests. Will we be going into areas that are really too cold for just the vest?

They have pretty much every size of vest possible, I think you'll be fine there.

As for the vest or wet suits question, generally my family and I preferred the vests, since they are easier to get on and move around in. However if you get cold in the water easily, I would do the full suits, especially if you're doing the dolphin interaction.

Hope this helps!

We are going to DC at the end of May when it will be very hot. My DD will get a wetsuit because she is doing the dolphin swim. My DH and I are going,but we are not swimming with the dolphins. He and I plan to just get the vests. Will we be going into areas that are really too cold for just the vest?

I have been to DC three times and if you are not going to swim with the dolphins the only place it is cold is in the 2 salt water areas...but I only used a vest in the summer. You will be cold for a few moments but then it is very nice, if it is hot out! Your DD may want to only have a vest before or after her dolphin swim. You are going to LOVE DC, I mean LOVE IT!:cool1:

Oh man...wish I knew this when I went this past Dec. I didn't do the Dolphin swim and thought we had to wear a wet suit. It was one of the most uncomfortable things I have ever worn. Will definitely wear just the vest next time.

I have been to DC three times and if you are not going to swim with the dolphins the only place it is cold is in the 2 salt water areas...but I only used a vest in the summer. You will be cold for a few moments but then it is very nice, if it is hot out! Your DD may want to only have a vest before or after her dolphin swim. You are going to LOVE DC, I mean LOVE IT!:cool1:

With the new reef open now, and the old reef closed, water temp is something they changed. The Grand Reef water temp is roughly 15-20 degrees (F) warmer than the old reef pool, and probably stays high 60's or low 70's..just like the dolphin water.

If you're going in the summer, or anytime that is warm out, you'll probably only need a vest, and not a full wetsuit.

We are going to DC in the middle of February, and doing the dolphin swim. Would the wet suits be a better idea? I hope it is warm when we are there, as this is the only time it fits in our schedule to go.

Is their a limit to the number of the people in a group that can use / have access to the cabana?

Hi ~ We are going in August and have one for 5. How many? There was a table for 4 and 2 lounges in ours last year.
We have a group of 15. I read through a couple of other threads and it looks like the max is 6 people per cabana. Not sure we would want to pay to reserve 3, but they sound wonderful.

My fiance and I went last year (going again in around a month - woop woop!) and the vests were great. I'm a scuba diver so I've worn a lot of uncomfortable gear, and I thought the vests were very comfy by comparison and kept you plenty warm.

Just got back and was so happily surprised that they had full length wet suits! I had seen photos of the short sleeve, short pant style so didn't know they had long sleeve, long pants ones. We opted for those because it was in the 50's in the morning and was only supposed to get up to high 70's during the day, plus it was a bit windy in the afternoon. The full we suit was HARD to get on, but we were so glad we had them. We wore them all day, even in the warm water, and it kept us warm all day. The only time we got a bit cold was in the Grand Reef where we swam for about 45 minutes (it was probably in the upper 60's at the time.)

Does anyone know what that swim vest is called? I'm trying to purchase one, and I want something just like the one at the discover cove. I'm not that good of a swimmer and I like the default position to be on the surface, and I can work to go deeper. I know that have snorkeling vest where you can blow air in, but not looking for that. It's not a life vest, and its not the short wet-suit. I'm running out of names for them haha!

Does anyone know what that swim vest is called? I'm trying to purchase one, and I want something just like the one at the discover cove. I'm not that good of a swimmer and I like the default position to be on the surface, and I can work to go deeper. I know that have snorkeling vest where you can blow air in, but not looking for that. It's not a life vest, and its not the short wet-suit. I'm running out of names for them haha!

"Wet suit vests", maybe?

http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/wetsuits/category/wetsuit-vests.html

I am taking my 8yo in June. She can swim but she isnt a strong swimmer. Will the suit be enough? Can she wear both?

Old post but for those wondering about this ....... DS is a very good swimmer and snorkeler, but we found having the life jacket meant less worry for me and he didn't tire out, just floated and enjoyed the fish for hours. It's also great for the lazy river which is deep and moves fast.

Disney%20Sept%2021%202013%20Discovery%20Cove%20EPCOT%20068.jpg

http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/wetsuits/category/womens-wetsuit-vests.html

http://www.swimoutlet.com/searchresults.asp?Search=wet+suit+vests&checkRealSearchInput=Y

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter