• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DISCruise 1.0 - 8/24-8/31/2013 Royal Caribbean Cruise Oasis of the Seas

We've been to both.

In STT we enjoyed taking the island tour. You see some pretty spectacular scenery from the tops of the mountains. In past years we've done the excursion to St John and really enjoyed the time at the beach. They take you to a beautiful little beach that has an underwater snorkeling trail.

In SXM, I did the island tour a long time ago and its unique for the fact that you actually are in two different countries. Part of the Island is Dutch and the other part if French. Frankly though the STT island tour was more spectacular scenery wise.

My only question for myself is if I should highly consider reserving spots for dinner at the higher end restaurants but I'm just not sure what nights I'm going to want to eat at them. :confused3 I hope I'm able to get reservations on the ship since I just can't decide when and what restaurant. Thankfully one is taken care of thanks to this group but not sure about the others. I know Chops is the most popular according to RCC so that's really the only one I worry about the most.

It may be an occupational hazard but I am the worst at preplanning. I don't book shows, specialty restaurants, spa appointments or excursions. I always seem to get what I want once onboard and never feel at the end I missed something. Especially with specialty restaurants.

I just really look at cruising as my relax time. I want freedom of choice and not being committed to anything to far in advance. I love My Time dining and I don't bring formal wear. I should add though I would be okay if at the end of the week I didn't get into something that was full once onboard.

My only question for myself is if I should highly consider reserving spots for dinner at the higher end restaurants but I'm just not sure what nights I'm going to want to eat at them. :confused3 I hope I'm able to get reservations on the ship since I just can't decide when and what restaurant. Thankfully one is taken care of thanks to this group but not sure about the others. I know Chops is the most popular according to RCC so that's really the only one I worry about the most.

I've been stewing over the same thing. I'm glad the group is eating at one of the places I've wanted to go, but I worry over not getting in to some of the other restaurants I want to try...yet I don't know when to try to plan for them. :confused3 I hope I will have Tracey's luck at getting into the places I'd like to go once on the ship. Or last minute online. ;)

Getting closer. Less than 3 weeks. Any last minute advice to first time cruiser? Or something not to forget? So looking forward to meeting everyone. I'm coming to the ice cream social even though I can't eat ice cream just to get to know my fellow Disney fans. I'm traveling with my sister in law who isn't a Disney fan. So looking forward to meeting so many people with the same passion.

Haven't been on this ship before so I'm not sure how the cabins are laid out but one of the things you may want to bring is an extension cord or outlet strip. If you've got a bunch of things to recharge, like a computer, camera and iDevice there are seldom enough electrical outlets.

Who will be joining Michael and me on the bus ride from Orlando to the port?

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!

Val & I will. :drive:

We will be at the Swan for 3-nights before the cruise and 4-nights afterward. Hope we get a chance to do some park stuff with you too. :moped:

Does anyone know if credit cards can be used in port at smaller restaurants/shops? Or would cash be better? I think I've always used cash, because I'm normally trying to haggle on the prices. :)

Leah, I've used my credit cards in all the ports, although I will say that most of my purchases have been at larger shops. Like you though, I try to have cash when bargaining. I usually find that once I get their best price, that I can usually get a little more off with cash. I suspect that's even more true at the smaller shops.

Carol

My husband Ryan and I will be on the bus! Looking forward to meeting some Dis Cruisers before getting on the ship and maybe sharing my 3 day Disney Trip with fellow Disney nuts. :)

Kinda panicked that it's less than 3 weeks away, I'm not quite ready yet! :scared:

Carol

My husband, Burt and I will also be on the bus to Ft. Lauderdale. We are so looking forward to seeing everyone.

I read on Cruise Critic that Royal Caribbean has recently begun to confiscate extension cords calling them a fire hazard. :confused3 So you may be able to bring one onboard (or not).

Yvonne

Val & I will. :drive:

We will be at the Swan for 3-nights before the cruise and 4-nights afterward. Hope we get a chance to do some park stuff with you too. :moped:

Looking forward to seeing you also. We will be at Bay Lake Towers the 3 nights before the cruise and then we will be returning to the Swan for a couple of nights after. We will definitely have to get together for some park time.

See you on the bus. :)

Carol

My husband Ryan and I will be on the bus! Looking forward to meeting some Dis Cruisers before getting on the ship and maybe sharing my 3 day Disney Trip with fellow Disney nuts. :)

Kinda panicked that it's less than 3 weeks away, I'm not quite ready yet! :scared:

I know that panic feeling and this coming weekend we are traveling to Disneyland to celebrate my husband's birthday at the D23 convention. I don't know how we are going to get through all of this - but somehow we do. :rotfl2:

Happy Packing. See you soon.

Carol

Getting closer. Less than 3 weeks. Any last minute advice to first time cruiser? Or something not to forget? So looking forward to meeting everyone. I'm coming to the ice cream social even though I can't eat ice cream just to get to know my fellow Disney fans. I'm traveling with my sister in law who isn't a Disney fan. So looking forward to meeting so many people with the same passion.

I haven't cruised RCCL before (and I'm still very much a cruise newbie), so I feel like I don't even know what I need to ask and what I need to know. :goodvibes

For those of you who don't even know what to ask you should come to chat on Wednesday night.

It starts at 8PM in the Adventures by Disney chat room.

You can see what others ask and gain knowledge that way - it might even cause you think about something that you hadn't thought of - and you might come up with a question.

We will be at Bay Lake Towers the 3 nights before the cruise

Carol, I can't remember if you and Michael are DVC members, but if you're staying there on points be sure to visit the Top of the World lounge. Very nice picture of one of the original conceptual drawings of the DL monorail behind the bar. Its by John Hench I believe, but I understand Bob Gurr claims ownership.

Its also an interesting place to watch the MK fireworks from.

What's the dress code in the main dining rooms? Do people dress up for dinner like on the Disney ships?

Sailing on a different cruise line is making me feel like a total newbie again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter