Disney’s Magic Band FAQ Link

We leave in a few days. We have the magic bands+ form our trip a year ago. We will charge them etc. Will they already be linked to us and we can hit the ground running?

We leave in a few days. We have the magic bands+ form our trip a year ago. We will charge them etc. Will they already be linked to us and we can hit the ground running?
As long as those MBs are listed in your MDE account and show as Active, you’re good to go. If they’re listed as Inactive, just tap to make them Active again. Have fun!

Are there any stores in the parks that sell the older Magic Bands? (The non MB+ ones that they used to give you for free). If so, any ideas on costs? I know they're trying to phase them out but would love to grab an inexpensive one when I'm there, if possible.

Are there any stores in the parks that sell the older Magic Bands? (The non MB+ ones that they used to give you for free). If so, any ideas on costs? I know they're trying to phase them out but would love to grab an inexpensive one when I'm there, if possible.
I saw very few of the MB2.0 bands in the resort gift shops, but not in the parks when I was there in December. I don't recall the price.

My Mom and I are traveling with my 8yr old nephew - we have an older band that was linked to his account several years ago but when my brother (who manages his account) looked, he didn’t see it attached.

I’ve asked my brother to attach it but haven’t heard back - is it possible to have this magicband reattached to my nephew’s account by calling in or at the Front Desk? If not, do they still offer Key to the World cards that he can use for admission and unlocking our room door (his favorite part).

My Mom and I are traveling with my 8yr old nephew - we have an older band that was linked to his account several years ago but when my brother (who manages his account) looked, he didn’t see it attached.

I’ve asked my brother to attach it but haven’t heard back - is it possible to have this magicband reattached to my nephew’s account by calling in or at the Front Desk? If not, do they still offer Key to the World cards that he can use for admission and unlocking our room door (his favorite part).
You should be able to see your nephew's ticket in your MDE account. It will be in the tickets and passes section of the app and you can use that to get into the parks. They will give you a hard plastic ticket when you enter the first park that you can use for the rest of the trip. You can also get a key card for him at the resort.

You can call Disney IT to see if they can attach your nephew's MagicBand to your trip. They are great at fixing these problems. I would do this before your trip. The front desk usually can't handle certain ticket issues.

They do have the Christmas ones (MB+) on the website for 19.95 - I was tempted as its a decent savings.

I bought the older MB in July 2023 for our Aug 2023 trip. Is there any way to see if they still work for capturing ride photos for Aug 2024 trip?

I bought the older MB in July 2023 for our Aug 2023 trip. Is there any way to see if they still work for capturing ride photos for Aug 2024 trip?
Your older MB should work for everything. I've used MBs as old as 2018 and they still captured ride photos as well as working for park entry and resort room. :)

Unfortunately, there's no way to confirm, but as PP says a 2023 MB will still work - the batteries last at least 2 years, usually longer. You can also set MDE on your phone to use Bluetooth, and it will link ride photos that was as well.

For MB and MB2.0 there is no way to test the internal battery except by using it and watching for your ride photos on rides like Pirates, Guardians, Frozen, Seven Dwarfs, etc. to be automatically attached or not.

as CarolynFH said, the internal battery on those older bands typically last about 2 years or so.

Your older MB should work for everything. I've used MBs as old as 2018 and they still captured ride photos as well as working for park entry and resort room. :)
I know that they will still work for tapping (room door, park entry, and claiming ride photos for those rides with bank of monitors where you tap your band to claim your photos).

Is your 2018 band really working to auto-link photos? Are you getting photos for Seven Dwarfs, Pirates, Guardians of the Galaxy, Tron, Frozen Ever After, Slinky Dog Dash, and such? (rides where you don't tap your band to collect them)

I know that they will still work for tapping (room door, park entry, and claiming ride photos for those rides with bank of monitors where you tap your band to claim your photos).

Is your 2018 band really working to auto-link photos? Are you getting photos for Seven Dwarfs, Pirates, Guardians of the Galaxy, Tron, Frozen Ever After, Slinky Dog Dash, and such? (rides where you don't tap your band to collect them)
We are on our way home today and I didn’t get a ride photo for Pirates or Haunted Mansion. We got Test Track though. We didn’t do any of those other rides.

Last edited:
We are on our way home today and I didn’t get a ride photo for Pirates. We got Test Track though. We didn’t do any of those other rides.
Did you tap for test track photo? If you didn't, do you have the My Magic Mobile setup on your phone?

I tried searching through this thread, but couldn’t find what I was looking for.

If we decide to not do magic bands, how exactly do I get the hard ticket? I don’t want to have to spend extra time going somewhere to do this if it’ll take away park time. But also not loving the current pricing on something we use just when we’re there (and would rather spend that money on Genie+).

I tried searching through this thread, but couldn’t find what I was looking for.

If we decide to not do magic bands, how exactly do I get the hard ticket? I don’t want to have to spend extra time going somewhere to do this if it’ll take away park time. But also not loving the current pricing on something we use just when we’re there (and would rather spend that money on Genie+).
Any ticket booth or Guest Relations office, which are outside every park and at Disney Springs, can issue a ticket card. If your party is small, you can get one from the CM at the park tapstyles the first time you enter. If you’re staying at a Disney resort, the front desk can add your ticket to your room key, and you can use that card for everything (they call it a Key to the World card, KTTW card).

Did you tap for test track photo? If you didn't, do you have the My Magic Mobile setup on your phone?
We did tap for the test track photo. I noticed that we didn't get the Haunted Mansion photo.

I had an old annual pass ticket in my iPhone wallet. I guess that wasn't good enough. I just went into the ticket section of my mde app and added my current ap ticket to the wallet. I'll see if that works next time we are in WDW.

Last edited:
A couple of things to make sure I am clear :)

In my profile on the WDW website, the ability to activate, deactivate or report lost does not work. Is it because I do not have tickets tied yet or is this just a glitch I need to call the helpdesk about? This is resolved. The helpdesk had to make a correction to my profile and remove the majority or my old cards and bands. I had so many it locked up that portion of my profile.

I have one of the rechargeable (MB+) bands. Hate them to be honest. So ridiculous to have to charge it. It will not even work for a full day.

Do I understand correctly that my old MBs, from 2019 and prior, will not work for room, ride and park entry? Meaning, the battery will not work, only the RFID does? I have 43 of them from my many trips in the past.

Last edited:
A couple of things to make sure I am clear :)

In my profile on the WDW website, the ability to activate, deactivate or report lost does not work. Is it because I do not have tickets tied yet or is this just a glitch I need to call the helpdesk about?

I have one of the rechargeable (MB+) bands. Hate them to be honest. So ridiculous to have to charge it. It will not even work for a full day.

Do I understand correctly that my old MBs, from 2019 and prior, will not work for room, ride and park entry? Meaning, the battery will not work, only the RFID does? I have 43 of them from my many trips in the past.
We went April 2023 & used our old magicbands from 2018 & they worked fine for everything - room & park entry included - except for ride pictures.

You don't need to charge the MB+ unless you want it to automatically link ride photos or use any of the interactive features of the MB+. You can also adjust the interactive settings in the MDE mobile app to reduce battery usage.

Any version of MagicBand (regardless of age) should work for room entry, park entry, queue entry, manual photo linking, room charging, etc. Basically, any function where you need to physically touch the MB to a reader should work for virtually forever as long as the MB is link and marked as active in MDE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter