Disney’s Magic Band FAQ Link

In my profile on the WDW website, the ability to activate, deactivate or report lost does not work. Is it because I do not have tickets tied yet or is this just a glitch I need to call the helpdesk about?
This made me curious, so I logged into my MDE in the website and tried to deactivate a couple of my older MBs. When I tapped the Deactivate button, nothing seemed to happen, so I tapped on this link:

Looking to learn about or Deactivate your MagicBand Click here.

That brought me to the FAQs which didn’t seem to be helpful at all, but then when I tapped the back arrow, the webpage navigated all the way back to my MB order page. I had to tap on my name again (we have a resort reservation for next January, so it listed all five of us) to open the list of my MBs - and the MB I had tried to deactivate now shows as Deactivated.

So I guess you have to click on that link in order to deactivate your MB - maybe it’s a way to keep people from accidentally deactivating MBs (or activating old ones they don’t want to activate).

This made me curious, so I logged into my MDE in the website and tried to deactivate a couple of my older MBs. When I tapped the Deactivate button, nothing seemed to happen, so I tapped on this link:

Looking to learn about or Deactivate your MagicBand Click here.

That brought me to the FAQs which didn’t seem to be helpful at all, but then when I tapped the back arrow, the webpage navigated all the way back to my MB order page. I had to tap on my name again (we have a resort reservation for next January, so it listed all five of us) to open the list of my MBs - and the MB I had tried to deactivate now shows as Deactivated.

So I guess you have to click on that link in order to deactivate your MB - maybe it’s a way to keep people from accidentally deactivating MBs (or activating old ones they don’t want to activate).
I had to call the helpdesk. The issue for me was because I had almost 40. It locked up their system, or at least my profile. They removed the majority of them and I am good to go now. :)

I had to call the helpdesk. The issue for me was because I had almost 40. It locked up their system, or at least my profile. They removed the majority of them and I am good to go now. :)
WOW - 40? I have 5 really old ones and thought that was a lot.

Anyone have luck using the Disney app with Android and a Samsung Watch or do you have to use the phone and unlock it? From what I am reading that is the case.

WOW - 40? I have 5 really old ones and thought that was a lot.
Yep 40. :P I do not recall when MDE was initiated, but every card and MB was in there from that time. I had several cards (room and park pass), plus the original MBs, then the decorative ones and now one of these horrible light-up ones (MB+).

Magic Band+ question here. We are Disney vets and use older magic bands. Me, DH and teenage son. I have the MDE app and manage everything. Just one MDE account among us.

My son got a Magic Band+ for Christmas, and I’m wanting to not mess it up lol. I can assign it to him in my account, but what about pairing it? Does it need to be paired? Should it be paired to my phone or his? Does he need his own MDE account and app? We stay together for the most part, he wouldn’t be doing Genie or anything on his own. I still need to be able to include him in my Genie picks if he has to have his own account due to this new band.

Any advice is welcome.

Has anyone tracked how often the MDE selection for resort stays is refreshed? Last year there were multiple Star Wars options and now there's only been one for many months. I know there will be one for May 4th, but I'm hoping they refresh MDE before then.

I'm going later this month with my sister and her family. Only one of the 4 of them still has an old magic band. I think they're fine using smart phones or hard tickets to get into the parks and lightning lanes. If I bring some of my extra magic bands, can they wear them on the attractions that have ride photos so that we're guaranteed to get all the pictures?

Last edited:

My son got a Magic Band+ for Christmas, and I’m wanting to not mess it up lol. I can assign it to him in my account, but what about pairing it? Does it need to be paired? Should it be paired to my phone or his? Does he need his own MDE account and app? We stay together for the most part, he wouldn’t be doing Genie or anything on his own. I still need to be able to include him in my Genie picks if he has to have his own account due to this new band.

Any advice is welcome.
The MagicBand+ should be paired in order to get the most out of it.

He doesn't NEED his own MDE account, but if he's going to go without you at some point, it might be worth having him create one. If you do create one for him, you'll just need to make sure you send a friend request to him. You'll still be able to make reservations for him.

If he has his own account, pair it to his phone. Otherwise pair it to yours.

The MagicBand+ should be paired in order to get the most out of it.

He doesn't NEED his own MDE account, but if he's going to go without you at some point, it might be worth having him create one. If you do create one for him, you'll just need to make sure you send a friend request to him. You'll still be able to make reservations for him.

If he has his own account, pair it to his phone. Otherwise pair it to yours.
Perfect, thank you!

If I bring some of my extra magic bands, can they wear them on the attractions that have ride photos so that we're guaranteed to get all the pictures?
That's an interesting question - I think the answer may be Yes, but I'm not certain. Obviously they can't use them to tap into parks or LLs, but linking photos of them to your MDE account seems like it should work.

Magic Band+ question here. We are Disney vets and use older magic bands. Me, DH and teenage son. I have the MDE app and manage everything. Just one MDE account among us.

Any advice is welcome.
Since you manage the Son's account, if its a "store purchased" MB+ you can log into MDE on your phone, link the band and select him when it asks who to assign the band to. Once linked (or if its a "pre-arrival band"), you can bluetooth pair the band with your phone and do the initial software update. After initial setup the band doesn't need the bluetooth connection during use unless you want to want to check the battery level, change the LED color scheme or brightness, or do some of the in park activities.

While you could log into YOUR MDE account on their phones, bluetooth pair the MB+ bands to their phones, and they can still have their own Play Parks account, since they are logged into your MDE account, they have full access to see the bill, change the pin, etc.

That being said, if you want to do Batuu Bounty Hunter or Fab50 quest activities in the parks, its best to each have your own MDE account, Play Parks account, and setup them up on each person's phone. You'll also bluetooth pair/connect the band to the person's phone. Disney's My Disney Experience, MagicBand and MagicBand+ help line can split the accounts up. (407) 934-7639. There are other achievements in Play Parks app too, that you'll want individual MDE and Play Parks accounts for.

For example. Our son's account was created/managed by my MDE account since he was young. I had to log in to my account and link store bought bands to him, approve Friend/Family requests, etc. I wasn't keen on him (13 at the time) having full access to my MDE account on his phone for our first trip with MB+. So I called and had him split to his own account. They moved his linked magicbands, reservations, tickets, etc. to his own MDE account. We are now linked via Family and Friends list in MDE. That allows him to log into his own MDE on his phone, bluetooth pair and connect his MB+ to his phone, and he can do the activities in Play Parks. He did enjoy the Fab50 quest on our first trip with MB+ bands on our Fall 2022 trip. Being linked as Family and Friends in MDE, I can select him when linking our room reservation or tickets, add him to dining reservations, etc. I can see his and download his photopass stuff, etc.

I noticed there is a guest services at Disney Springs, are they able to assist with setting up charging capabilities for minors? Also would like to get credit cards linked to bands from adult travelers, but figure that is resort specific and needs to be done there.

I noticed there is a guest services at Disney Springs, are they able to assist with setting up charging capabilities for minors? Also would like to get credit cards linked to bands from adult travelers, but figure that is resort specific and needs to be done there.
Linking credit cards is to the resort reservation, not an individual traveler, or person's band.

Its typically done by the lead guest going into MDE, under their profile, configure payment methods, entering a credit card, and scrolling down to establish a PIN. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/profile/payment-methods

But yes, guest services at Disney Springs or your Disney Resort Hotel front desk can help you.

Planning party - Me, DH and DD(15). All have profiles managed in my MDE. I am the only one with an MDE account or MDE on my phone. All have multiple MBs (versions 1 & 2, no +). Also have physical cards for date-specific tickets we received by mail. When we booked resort, I listed each by name on the resort reservation and linked their profiles in MDE to resort, physical cards, APRs, and ADRs.

Today I started getting the old MBs out and checking our list. They were all there and active as expected. I went to the Manage MB page on the website and declined new bands for all 3 of us. Now when I go to "My Plans", it still lists each person by name for resort, ADR, APR, etc. However, when I go to "My Magic Bands" it lists existing profiles as "Me", "Me1" (instead of "DH") and "Me2" (instead of "DD(15)") with the same profile pics, ages, and linked bands as before I declined. Only DD(18) who is not attending this trip remains unchanged and listed as herself on her MBs. So will this be a problem that the name is different even though the linked profile appears to be identical? I'm very confused. Should I contact WDW?

Also, Galaxy's Edge is the primary reason we are doing this trip. Will DH miss out on anything by only having an MB2 and and card, no MB+?

Also, Galaxy's Edge is the primary reason we are doing this trip. Will DH miss out on anything by only having an MB2 and and card, no MB+?
Can't answer other issues, but for Galaxy's Edge it depends on what DH is interested in. In Galaxy's Edge, the main thing a MB+ can be used for is Bounty Hunting which is one of the "games" in the Play Disney Parks mobile app.

Planning party - Me, DH and DD(15). All have profiles managed in my MDE. I am the only one with an MDE account or MDE on my phone. All have multiple MBs (versions 1 & 2, no +). Also have physical cards for date-specific tickets we received by mail. When we booked resort, I listed each by name on the resort reservation and linked their profiles in MDE to resort, physical cards, APRs, and ADRs.

Today I started getting the old MBs out and checking our list. They were all there and active as expected. I went to the Manage MB page on the website and declined new bands for all 3 of us. Now when I go to "My Plans", it still lists each person by name for resort, ADR, APR, etc. However, when I go to "My Magic Bands" it lists existing profiles as "Me", "Me1" (instead of "DH") and "Me2" (instead of "DD(15)") with the same profile pics, ages, and linked bands as before I declined. Only DD(18) who is not attending this trip remains unchanged and listed as herself on her MBs. So will this be a problem that the name is different even though the linked profile appears to be identical? I'm very confused. Should I contact WDW?

That’s how my family is set up. I’ve never declined bands, but left that link to decline just sitting there with no issues.

You can try calling IT. Their phone number should be listed in the pinned phone number thread.

That’s how my family is set up. I’ve never declined bands, but left that link to decline just sitting there with no issues.

You can try calling IT. Their phone number should be listed in the pinned phone number thread.
I should have just left it alone. I thought maybe letting Disney tech catch up overnight would help. It's still wrong on a web browser but the app has it correct. Odd.

Hi! We are planning to return to WDW next month after taking a break since 2019. We were AP holders for years and stayed onsite frequently, so I have at least 35 old magic bands. Some of the very original ones, and some of the redesigned ones after that. Will either of these types still work? We only care about park entry and FP entry (whatever its called now, assuming its still a tap in). We don't do photos or anything like that. I know they 'should', but has anyone tried bands that are this old? lol

Hi! We are planning to return to WDW next month after taking a break since 2019. We were AP holders for years and stayed onsite frequently, so I have at least 35 old magic bands. Some of the very original ones, and some of the redesigned ones after that. Will either of these types still work? We only care about park entry and FP entry (whatever its called now, assuming its still a tap in). We don't do photos or anything like that. I know they 'should', but has anyone tried bands that are this old? lol
We went in April 2023 with magic bands from 2018 & they worked perfectly for room and park entry - we didn't do G+ or $ ILL but I assume they would have worked fine for that, too, as those are just another tap point usage.

They will work. The tap functions, which are the ones you care about, don't require any battery power from the MB itself. The power is provided by the tap point. I've read reports here of people using very old MBs such as you have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter