Disney After Hours (1/20/2017) Event Report. (#45 2/2 night)

I've never been to one but I know they close the park and force out the general admissions like a party, have a special fireworks, more snacks and last one I heard about someone said it was half the park but very empty. but again I've never been (I'll be more than happy to join you or anyone that is dvc and going). i've considered doing a minimum dvc buy in just to get the extra events.

There are no moonlight magic events scheduled for when we are there this year I notice! Darn! Never mind. We are from the UK and only come across once a year staying at our DVC resorts. We have been to other DVC events which have been great. But we don't mind paying for party and other events if they are worth it. We love MNSSHP! We usually get a DVC discount on that one.

I was kind of introducing the event so I could explain what changed but it did get a little intermixed.
But last year was when they started, and that was 2016 ;)

The last night of 2015 was about the same size which is why I think it was roughly 3000 people attending. They are doing a lot better ticket wise but it was also first night so we'll see if that maintains.

EDIT: crap yes it's 2016 now that it just hit me we're in 2017 :)
:)

Thank you so much for the review! This sounds like an awesome experience that I'm hoping and praying that they will have it for early May. Think MK is closing around 9 so can definitely fit this in if they want to!

Ending the night....

My daughter made a comment that the hub was broken and all the people were missing. I also happened to notice all the new plants that I'll have to film around in the future... :( stop gardening!! there's too many things in your way already!

We stopped close to the castle to get some close up photos (not posted here) as they aren't anything special). The normal line was right at the photopass photographer with walt and mickey. I was able to jump in between families to get some quick pics. Hard to get that picture with nobody esle in the hub... :) Look close, you can see the carousel through the castle, that's rare also as people are always in that walkway.. :)

View attachment 216582

We spent the last 30 minutes just going up and down a we own the place main street, hanging out with the photopass photographers and getting some you never see this empty pictures...

View attachment 216583

Look, Starbucks was a walk on!!! that's that best image of the night to expalin how empty MK is during after hours.. When you have multiple registers waiting to get you on your way in seconds at starbucks, it's dead and empty and we loved it!

View attachment 216586

Even the emporium was all to yourself to shop..

View attachment 216588

We spent a good 30 minutes, took about 300 of our own photos and then anouther 50-60 photopass photos. Just up and down main street. This needs to be cleaned up better but this might be my all time favorite main street photopass photo..

View attachment 216589

We probably looked like disney imagineers at some remote locations, we took that many strange photos a the details.. We also had a blast with the photographers that were just happy to see someone on main street finally. Apparently the whole night is dead for them :) We'll hit main street sooner next time to take advantage of that..

1 thing I did notice that was strange. Casey's was closed. I think Friar Nooks was so much better that nobody had come down. Star bucks did have their food if you needed it up there. We had food waiting at home so we didn't get anything to go.. (and we ended up saving that for lunch as we weren't hungry when we got home).

Eventually we decided to leave, talked with security and those castmembers for awhile, even the ferry cast members. That might be my favorite part of this event. you can just meet everyone that works there, their managers.. You get interactions you just can't have during any other time.. Well you can but not this many of them...

The ferry was pretty empty for what was almost close. a lot left before it ended.. after hours is strange, you do so much it's almost too much time. I personalyl wouldn't come before 7 even though you should be able to get in at 4. It's just a dream night and I don't like to clutter it was an annoying afternoon

View attachment 216590

View attachment 216591

Fun night.. After hours #1 over!! Next one for me is 2/2/2017 but my daughter is not joining that one and working late. We're going back together on the last night of the event like we did last year to get our fix in. I'm hoping my new camera arrives by then.. (it's really really new, not in stores so it's coming slow from china direct from the manufacturer).. only about 15 exist in the world (this is #16). I'm stoked!

I am going to head back 1 or 2 other nights just for outside shots. This is interesting, as they don't disturb the day tickets, they don't force anyone out. They leave on their own because thy cna't ride anything and only shopping on main street is opened. I did it last year also where I just stayed after close and took pictures and just hung out. snacks wasn't as interesting since they weren't free and only starbucks opened to get anything snack like for top dollar but it's great to just be there and do some more photographs..

All photos were taken with my mobile phone, nothing special. The only special camera I had was the 360 video cameras and that takes horrible stills.. next time we'll pull out the better stuff..

View attachment 216590 View attachment 216591

Conclusion...

It was a crowd that was the size of a sold out crowd last year. It's right at the edge where I would tolerate it so hopefully they aren't planning to sell many more tickets as that might change the feel of the event.. It was not as empty as last year but that's ok, it's empty enough and back!!!!

everyone should go, just get it out of your head that your getting rides really fast. Your buying an empty magic kingdom and it will be the most magical it can be with nobody around to interfere with whatever you feel like doing all night long. no planning needed just show up and enjoy over and over and over again...

Magic kingdom is a completely different experience with no lines, no rush, nobody in your way, nobody unhappy, cast members all giddy with you. You cannot get a better time at magic kingdom than this event.

Side note, it will also ruin you for this and you'll keep coming back for it and mad how big the crowds really are...

EDITED TO ADD: I also didn't catch earlier but casey's wasn't on the list to be opened and launch pad was a second eatery available. I wish I saw that because I think they have turkey legs and I would have loved just sitting aroudn with a turkey leg. I'm going to plan on doing that for part of the night on 2/2 when I go back.

This is a much better food layout with something behind the castle, something in tomorrowland and starbucks for prepackaged stuff on the way out at the end of the night.. Kudos to this change!

See ya real soon!!!!

View attachment 216587
Thank you for the awesome review !

Thank you for your review! So the ferries were running? Was the monorail? We will be staying at the Poly and I am seriously considering this for our last night. We will have our 2 year old with us so that is the only worry that I have, but she is a flexible kid and rarely gets crabby if she goes off schedule. Lines with her during the day will be difficult so I thought this event would be so great to hit all the rides with her with no waiting.

Thank you for your review! So the ferries were running? Was the monorail? We will be staying at the Poly and I am seriously considering this for our last night. We will have our 2 year old with us so that is the only worry that I have, but she is a flexible kid and rarely gets crabby if she goes off schedule. Lines with her during the day will be difficult so I thought this event would be so great to hit all the rides with her with no waiting.

You don't need to worry about transportation. There will be something and most likely a bus. You'll understand when there but there is nobody around, this is not a crowd leaving making it slow, walking far for a bus to have to wait for 2 or 3 of them and stand.. There might be 5 or so people getting to poly, you'll probably get your own bus and it'll come right as you get there if not waiting.. It's really fast to get back to a resort after this event.

There was a lot of little ones and they were smiling and loving it. I don't think any of them slowed down because it's a dream day. jump on, jump on again, no ride has a line.. no tall person in front of them on the ride so they can't see well. Just plan the rest of the day accordingly and take it slower and maybe not rope drop somewhere else..

I have thoroughly enjoyed your report!

Disney should be paying you for bringing more money to them by how well you explain this event!

I'm on the fence of what to do

Not sure if I should book the 2/2 party event now or when I am there on the 1/29 at hotel or 1/30 when in the park

Not sure if I should book the 2/2 party event now or when I am there on the 1/29 at hotel or 1/30 when in the park

I have tickets for 2 more nights already because I didn't want to chance it was a smashing success this year and everyone sold out. That's the only advice I can give, if you wait it might be sold out.

It's actually a 360 camera that I'm waiting for (zcam s1). I've been eyeing the sony A6000 for still photos. i like the idea of the smaller mirrorless size for park usage and it should fit in the same bag depending on what I go for lense wise. I started a thread on the photography forum asking about cameras or more specifically something dslr like without the size and weight, tons of great posts on what to consider and people really took their time to type a lot of information up so you might want to look for that one.
I will - thank you for the tip!

Thanks so much for the review and photos Bryan. As another poster suggested, you should receive commission. Your review has sold me on this event. We will be there on March 2nd. Cannot wait. Appreciate it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter