Disney bought land in South Louisiana ????

It wasn't a dream, I remember one of my friends who does all the re-enactments was part of the the board that Disney execs met with. He said that they wanted to purchase land between 116 and 30, it was close to 100 acres and they said no becuase the proposed Disney property and a battlefield would have been too close together.

You guys need to go and talk to the guys that think Disney is going to build in Gaylord Michigan, you have a lot in common. You're all living in a fantasy world that doesn't even come close to approaching reality. Disney is selling what they have (or at least leasing it) as a way to make money instead of buying places to develop.

Well, the last post on here was June of 2008. The rumor is still going wild (and spreading) here in Baton Rouge as of late December 2008. In the last week, two people have told me about it... both said, "It's not if it will happen, but when..."

YES YES YES... I've read all the previous posts (and on those on another thread), and I AGREE with all of the nay-sayers. There are all kinds of reasons why Disney shouldn't and probably wouldn't come here.

Some of the rumors are coming from the Parish President, but why are people here INSISTING that Disney has already purchased a large chunk of land?
Anyone heard of any proof? If I had time, I'd go to the courthouse over there and start pulling records. Work gets in the way though.

Hmmmm building something down here in Louisiana. yeah that does seem to be a bit wild. I mean i would love to see that happen. But i did not hear anything on it at all infact this is the first time i ever heard of that. I think that would have made the news pretty quick over here. But if they do Ohhhhhh mama it would be nice!!! But that gets me thinking again is Disney going to build another area for theme parks????

Well, the last post on here was June of 2008. The rumor is still going wild (and spreading) here in Baton Rouge as of late December 2008. In the last week, two people have told me about it... both said, "It's not if it will happen, but when..."

YES YES YES... I've read all the previous posts (and on those on another thread), and I AGREE with all of the nay-sayers. There are all kinds of reasons why Disney shouldn't and probably wouldn't come here.

Some of the rumors are coming from the Parish President, but why are people here INSISTING that Disney has already purchased a large chunk of land?
Anyone heard of any proof? If I had time, I'd go to the courthouse over there and start pulling records. Work gets in the way though.

I've been told the same thing about the Disney park they were supposed to be building in the Dallas Fort Worth area of TX, and I've been hearing that for over 20 years. I'm sure if Disney were really building anything anywhere they would do it like they did with WDW. No one, including local people who think they are "in the know" will know it's Disney until Disney has an official press release. Until then it's just fun to think and dream about Disney coming close to home.

OK, I'm repeating from another thread here, but...

I found a few news articles where Livingston Parish President Mike Grimmer was interviewed about various possibilities in Livingston Parish. Here's a quote from them:

"Grimmer said Monday (in July 2007) there is truth to the rumor that Disney is seriously considering a theme park in Livingston Parish, but cautioned that no decisions have been made yet."

Another quote:

"Grimmer says the Livingston Economic Development Council paid $100,000 for a Disney site study. He's hoping to hear from Disney within the next couple months." (March 2008)

What??? This to me sounds like they're simply trying to attract Disney, and that Disney doesn't necessarily have any interest in developing anything.

This is all out of my knowledge base... anyone have an idea what the deal is with paying for a "Disney site study?"

From the few things I've seen, it really seems like Grimmer is just trying to drum up business for the parish. Let's make people think this is going to be the place to be and maybe we'll get some more business.

I'm NOT buying the hype... I seriously don't see Disney in Louisiana. I just think the whole rumor thing is interesting.

Sources:
http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=8062767
http://www.batonrougetoday.com/forum...oop-plans.html

I'm wondering if anyone has heard any updates on this? I just heard that they are about to start building the water park, but are making sure there are people who will put some hotels up first. Anyone else? Since I live in Watson, that'd be awesome!

im sure there would have been a lot more talk already if disney were about to start building a new park in america!

cant be true

That's my thought, but DH does some purchasing for a company that is setting up an account with them, so I wonder what's going on at least? Hmmm

I recently talked to a buddy who ran into some land surveyors (or something like that... don't remember) behind his house. They told him that they were doing water testing for Disney.

It's pretty clear that they have purchased some land. The question is, for what?

It's obvious they're not going to build a theme park. The area would probably support some sort of water park, but that's about it. My guess is that it's just an investment. The land is increasing in value, and they'll just sell it off to build sub-divisions and make a nice little profit.

Shopping Center! Think Flamingo Crossing all over America. Disney controls the theming while leasing space.

I recently talked to a buddy who ran into some land surveyors (or something like that... don't remember) behind his house. They told him that they were doing water testing for Disney.

It's pretty clear that they have purchased some land. The question is, for what?

It's obvious they're not going to build a theme park. The area would probably support some sort of water park, but that's about it. My guess is that it's just an investment. The land is increasing in value, and they'll just sell it off to build sub-divisions and make a nice little profit.

Or maybe whoever the buddy ran into was messing with his head? Since the rumor has been flying around for quite awhile, that would seem to be more likely to me. Those guys would have no clue they were working for Disney, unless they were directly employed by Disney, and then they'd keep their mouths shut for fear of losing their jobs.

A few points to make, since we just heard this rumor resurface in Saint
Tammany Parish just last month:

A. I read a book last year on the development of WDW. Every cast member, contractor, government agency, department, water dude had to sign a confidentiality agreement back in the 60's before Disney would agree to do business with them.

B. Disney used shell companies to purchase land for WDW. The name Disney was not even involved until a snooping reporter in California began noticing some clues there in California.

C. The newest version of the rumor is that they were purchasing the Six Flags/Jazzland facility in New Orleans that has been closed since Katrina. There was also a 'confirmation' from a family member of ours that IHOP was involved. Come again?

D. There is no way in H**L that Disney would add another park while they are forced to offer incentive after incentive for folks to visit the 2 parks they do have in the U.S.

E. Last, but not least, Louisiana? :laughing: Come on. Everyone who lives in Louisiana knows the local/parish/state government to be some of the most corrupt folks. Disney would have to butter the bread of so many politicos, they would go broke before any ground was broken.

If Disney develops anything in southern Louisiana EVER, I will be the first to post on this board that my hat has been eaten. Let's just say my hat is safe for years to come.

A few points to make, since we just heard this rumor resurface in Saint
Tammany Parish just last month:

A. I read a book last year on the development of WDW. Every cast member, contractor, government agency, department, water dude had to sign a confidentiality agreement back in the 60's before Disney would agree to do business with them.

B. Disney used shell companies to purchase land for WDW. The name Disney was not even involved until a snooping reporter in California began noticing some clues there in California.

C. The newest version of the rumor is that they were purchasing the Six Flags/Jazzland facility in New Orleans that has been closed since Katrina. There was also a 'confirmation' from a family member of ours that IHOP was involved. Come again?

D. There is no way in H**L that Disney would add another park while they are forced to offer incentive after incentive for folks to visit the 2 parks they do have in the U.S.

E. Last, but not least, Louisiana? :laughing: Come on. Everyone who lives in Louisiana knows the local/parish/state government to be some of the most corrupt folks. Disney would have to butter the bread of so many politicos, they would go broke before any ground was broken.

If Disney develops anything in southern Louisiana EVER, I will be the first to post on this board that my hat has been eaten. Let's just say my hat is safe for years to come.

Wow - pretty negative from a GA resident. I live here in LA, I have all my life. I know how corrupt our government can be. However, if this state were really that bad, tell me why so many big name companies come here and do business? Don't you think they would have to grease some palms just to get in the door.

I agree that with all the incentives Disney is offering now, it would be foolish to build in this economy. But as numerous previous posters have stated, Disney is involved in others things besides parks. Maybe just maybe, they are investing in a future mall or something.

Oh and BTW, LA was one of the first places Walt looked when he wanted to expand his magic elsewhere!!!

Wow - pretty negative from a GA resident. I live here in LA, I have all my life. I know how corrupt our government can be. However, if this state were really that bad, tell me why so many big name companies come here and do business? Don't you think they would have to grease some palms just to get in the door.
The companies that locate there only do it for two reasons, the availability of a major sea port or environmental regulations that are conducive to the chemical and petrochemical industry. I'm also sure they probably had to do just as much "palm greasing" has anyone else, it was just to their benefit to do it in Louisiana.

Wow - pretty negative from a GA resident. /QUOTE]

I guess I could have done a better job with my background. I just moved from LA two months ago. My DW's family lives all among South LA and MS. I lived in Slidell, but worked in New Orleans and Chalmette. I was a manager for a large corporation that has several accounts with local and state government. I could tell some stories about what I have seen. I don't want to beat a dead horse, so I am not going into particulars on this thread. Just suffice it to say that I am more than qualified to say what I did concerning local government in the area.

I realize there is a disconnect between locales. There seems to be New Orleans, and everywhere else in LA.

I am keenly aware of locations Walt scouted prior to Florida. For varios reasons, he passed on each. One main reason was as Disney would scout land, word would get out, and land prices would increase by 1000% overnight.
There was a saying in WWII that 'loose lips sink ships'. If Disney was interested in land anywhere, they will ensure that no one knows about it until the land had been purchased, be it a theme park, mall, gas station, or anything else.

I think we can look at the age of this thread to get an idea of the likelihood of truth behind it.

I said in my OP that if Disney opens anything in South LA, I will be the first one on this thread begging forgiveness.

We will see. :confused3

I think we can look at the age of this thread to get an idea of the likelihood of truth behind it.

I am the OP, and I have to agree with you on this. As much as I would love for Disney to build there so that I could visit a Disney park while visiting all of our family there, it just seems so unlikely to happen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter