Disney Cut Backs

CapeCodTenor

Dis Veteran; Dis Dads #865
One thing my job allows me to do is to plug in my headphones and listen to music. I usually stream Pandora or listen to some vlog on YouTube. Lately I've been listening to the Dreams Unlimited Travel vlogs on YouTube. I'm currently listening to one about when to travel to the World, and the topic of Disney making cut backs/cost cutting/adding extra fees popped up. I know that Disney has added extra fees/prices for some things we use to get free (Disney's very good at this), like asking for a room near the main building. When I last went, which was 17 years ago, you use to be able to get a room near the main building at a resort without paying for it, now you have to pay for it. One of the panelists on this vlog mentioned that Disney is no longer offering shower gels, don't think this is something I cared about, or paid attention to, but some people may miss this. With that said, what are some of the things that you would consider cost cutting/cost saving measures taken by Disney. Also where has Disney added fees on things we use to get without paying extra for.

They have cut many of the Streetmosphere CMs, and the live actors from the Rivers of Light Show. They appear to have cut back staffing in the parks. They allow folks to "opt-out" of Mousekeeping (even under the guise of being an environmental move, but it's to cut costs).

A pretzel costs $7 now, and a bottle of Coke $4.50.

Osborne Lights and the nighttime light parade at Magic Kingdom are two that really bother me. The projection shows are much easier and cheaper to run night after night, but I don’t like them much and they don’t feel as enchanting.

I also don’t like that they now charge you to park your car at your resort.

I feel like Disney uses “everyone else in our industry does it” as their reasoning for a lot of things now (like resort parking fees), whereas they used to think “we can do this better/different than everyone else.”

Osborne Lights and the nighttime light parade at Magic Kingdom are two that really bother me. The projection shows are much easier and cheaper to run night after night, but I don’t like them much and they don’t feel as enchanting.

I feel like Disney uses “everyone else in our industry does it” as their reasoning for a lot of things now (like resort parking fees), whereas they used to think “we can do this better/different than everyone else.”

As to the highlighted, I think that excuse is just a front for having to raise revenue to pay for the recent acquisitions of Marvel and Lucas Films. That's just a thought, though.

One thing my job allows me to do is to plug in my headphones and listen to music. I usually stream Pandora or listen to some vlog on YouTube. Lately I've been listening to the Dreams Unlimited Travel vlogs on YouTube. I'm currently listening to one about when to travel to the World, and the topic of Disney making cut backs/cost cutting/adding extra fees popped up. I know that Disney has added extra fees/prices for some things we use to get free (Disney's very good at this), like asking for a room near the main building. When I last went, which was 17 years ago, you use to be able to get a room near the main building at a resort without paying for it, now you have to pay for it. One of the panelists on this vlog mentioned that Disney is no longer offering shower gels, don't think this is something I cared about, or paid attention to, but some people may miss this. With that said, what are some of the things that you would consider cost cutting/cost saving measures taken by Disney. Also where has Disney added fees on things we use to get without paying extra for.

Soon it will bring your own towels and wash cloth. Hmmm is it possible to put a meter on a shower head?

I don't think this is a cost saving measure. It's more of a way to get people to spend more. I hate that they've removed so many benches in the parks! I love to sit an crowd watch. It's become more and more difficult as benches disappear.

Oh boy, I have some thoughts on this topic! I just got back a week or so ago. It was the first time I’d been to WDW in six years and I certainly noticed a difference. While we had several “pixie dust” moments from cast members (probably as a result of having a young child with us), I felt the “structural” aspect of Disney service had declined since we were last there.

One of the most noticeable areas where service was lacking was housekeeping. (This was at AKL.) As soon as we checked in to our room, my husband commented that he thought the room might not have been used in a while because there was a layer of dust on the entertainment center so thick you could draw in it. Then our room went TEN days before the sheets were changed on the bed. I realized they were remaking the bed without changing the sheets because of a dirt stain that ended up smack dab in the middle of the bed from my toddler’s shoe on one of our first mornings there. I don’t want to give the impression that it was a huge streak of mud or anything, but an inch or two long and visable enough that anyone making the bed should have noticed it. I will shoulder some of the blame for the sheets not getting changed in that time — On day 3, we returned to our room for a midday break at 3:30pm and housekeeping had not yet cleaned it, so we declined service for that day. Likewise, we declined service on days 8 and 9 when we were all laid up sick with fevers. But seriously, what about the other week’s worth of days that they serviced our room and didn’t bother to change the sheets? (Sheets that we’re becoming visibly dirtier by the day, mind you, thanks to the aforementioned toddler and his knack for grinding crumbs into every surface he touches.) Beyond the issue of the sheets, the housekeeping just seemed subpar. I got the impression they were emptying the trash, replacing the towels, and remaking the bed but doing nothing beyond that in terms of actual cleaning. I know that room was never once vacuumed during the 15 days we were there. (Again, toddler and crumbs.) This was the first time, out of all the hotels I’ve ever stayed in domestically or abroad, that I’ve ever noticed the housekeeping as being substandard.

The room checks? Ugh. I’m not going to go into the details in this already lengthy post but holy cow, they were so much more disruptive than I had imagined they could be prior to experiencing them. They don’t just knock softly and then leave to check back a couple hours later if you don’t answer — they hound you by phone and in person until you open that door. When you answer the phone and tell them “come now, get it over with,” then of course it takes another 15-30 minutes for them to actually show up. This was all hugely inconvenient in our sick-and-sleeping baby/sick-and-wanting-to-sleep parents circumstances.

I came away from this trip more disenchanted than I ever have before. Disney has never been a budget vacation and I’ve always been okay with that. I understand resort pricing is inflated and I’m typically willing to shell out for things that fall under the umbrella of travel/life experiences/family memories. But the rising prices combined with the declining service brought me to a point of feeling like I can’t even justify it anymore. When you’re staying in one of their “deluxe” hotels and you realize you can hear the guest in the next room peeing and flushing (not an exaggeration), you start to think, “Maybe this room isn’t worth $500 a night.” :laughing:

Wow, now I feel dumb. I actually asked a CM what time the nighttime parade started. I didn’t realize they had done away with it. I guess I didn’t bother to look into that detail in my trip planning because, you know, Magic Kingdom has done a nighttime parade longer than I’ve been alive. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
They do have shower gel as of my visit last week, but it was in a bulk dispenser mounted in the shower.
I personally like the bulk dispensers at resorts. Have they switched to bulk dispenser for shampoo and conditioner also?:confused: Thanks!:goodvibes

NOT HAPPY to read that food items increased at Food and Wine for those of us attending October and after.:drinking1At least keep prices consistent throughout the Festival, not making guests feel as though they are at a disadvantage for attending in October and after. If prices must increase the in 2019 for F&W, so be it, but don't feel that prices should rise mid way throught the festival!:mad: Supposedly food and drink prices have increased throughout the parks also. :(

Just off the top of my head...
Cuts at resorts:
  • No more towel animals by Mousekeeping
  • Toiletries in communal containers instead of small individual ones
  • Shorter hours at resort pools

Cuts at parks:
  • Shorter hours at parks and water parks
  • Far fewer parades
  • Fewer Extra Magic Hours
  • A huge area of Animal Kingdom is being closed
Increases at resorts:
  • Resort guest parking fees
  • Resort prices have skyrocketed
Increases at parks:
  • Tickets are much more expensive and much more restrictive
  • Food and drink prices were just sharply raised
  • Optional pay-to-play events/perks have been added to all sorts of experiences, from 90-day FastPasses to prime spots for fireworks viewing, to capitalize on the difficulty of getting things done efficiently when the parks are so crowded & hours are shorter

Last edited:
I don't think this is a cost saving measure. It's more of a way to get people to spend more. I hate that they've removed so many benches in the parks! I love to sit an crowd watch. It's become more and more difficult as benches disappear.

Sorry, but it is both cost cutting and a push to increase guest spending. We've personally given up on WDW for the past several years due to the management philosophy behind the resort. They're spending through decades of goodwill and nostalgia from their guests without the slightest thought about what happens when it runs out.

They do have shower gel as of my visit last week, but it was in a bulk dispenser mounted in the shower.
Yes, there is shampoo and conditioner. I'm not sure what resorts have them. I'm pretty sure all the values do, maybe the moderates too. I don't think the dispensers are at the Deluxe's.

My big complaint about the dispenser is that it took over 20 pumps to get enough of any product out of the bottles. Other complaint is that the body wash has tea tree in it or something similar and it kind of burns a bit.

Sorry, but it is both cost cutting and a push to increase guest spending. We've personally given up on WDW for the past several years due to the management philosophy behind the resort. They're spending through decades of goodwill and nostalgia from their guests without the slightest thought about what happens when it runs out.

My thoughts exactly! So many (on other threads) keep saying "its to keep the stock holders happy". Well, if any of the stock holders are business people, they have to be asking--"what happens to our stock when people get fed up and quite going?" Disney has always been the business model to aspire to be. But simple business logic tells you that you need those return customers. They are going to run out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter