Disney Cut Backs

NOT HAPPY to read that food items increased at Food and Wine for those of us attending October and after.:drinking1At least keep prices consistent throughout the Festival, not making guests feel as though they are at a disadvantage for attending in October and after. If prices must increase the in 2019 for F&W, so be it, but don't feel that prices should rise mid way throught the festival!:mad: Supposedly food and drink prices have increased throughout the parks also. :(

I agree. Mid-festival is a bit much!

My thoughts exactly! So many (on other threads) keep saying "its to keep the stock holders happy". Well, if any of the stock holders are business people, they have to be asking--"what happens to our stock when people get fed up and quite going?" Disney has always been the business model to aspire to be. But simple business logic tells you that you need those return customers. They are going to run out.

I think what's happening is that the corporate model(?), can't think of the word I need, has changed. Along with the cost over runs, I think the board has changed and with it the old way of Disney doing business has changed....does that make sense?

I think what's happening is that the corporate model(?), can't think of the word I need, has changed. Along with the cost over runs, I think the board has changed and with it the old way of Disney doing business has changed....does that make sense?

It does and personally, I think the grand scheme of the future of Disney, it could be a mistake to change too much. There is so much more to Disney than a mouse and some princesses that get people to go and to go back. Some of those things are what they are losing.

A pp mentioned the daily "security checks." I am confused as we just stayed in Aug and never once did anyone call us or knock on our door to check in on us. Is this new?

A pp mentioned the daily "security checks." I am confused as we just stayed in Aug and never once did anyone call us or knock on our door to check in on us. Is this new?

Must be new because I've never heard of it, granted I haven't been down there in 17 years, but still...

It is new. Just keep in mind that they may not have performed them while you were in the room. This started after the Las Vegas incident. They are basically just "laying eyes" on the room and looking for anything unusual that could be a security risk. If you are in the parks all day you may never notice. Unlike with housekeeping though, the Do Not Disturb sign will not stop these checks. They will knock, and if you are not there, they will enter. If you are there you can ask them to come back later, but my understanding is that they must visually inspect the room every 24 hours.

It is new. Just keep in mind that they may not have performed them while you were in the room. This started after the Las Vegas incident. They are basically just "laying eyes" on the room and looking for anything unusual that could be a security risk. If you are in the parks all day you may never notice. Unlike with housekeeping though, the Do Not Disturb sign will not stop these checks. They will knock, and if you are not there, they will enter. If you are there you can ask them to come back later, but my understanding is that they must visually inspect the room every 24 hours.

Every 24 hours?! Wow! Seems a bit excessive, but I guess I understand the need to keep things safe.

Every 24 hours?! Wow! Seems a bit excessive, but I guess I understand the need to keep things safe.

I think that the housekeepers can count as a room visit, so if you don't put out the DND sign and get the daily housekeeping you would probably never notice. If you don't like to have your room cleaned daily or have the sign on for a whole day, that's when they will start in with the incessant knocking, calling, etc. because they must enter and inspect the room. This did stem from Las Vegas, but also at one of the hotels at Disneyland Paris they had an issue too, one that was caught with the metal detectors (which over there they have at the resorts too). This is just the new normal.

My thoughts exactly! So many (on other threads) keep saying "its to keep the stock holders happy". Well, if any of the stock holders are business people, they have to be asking--"what happens to our stock when people get fed up and quite going?" Disney has always been the business model to aspire to be. But simple business logic tells you that you need those return customers. They are going to run out.

They're going to keep pushing prices up until people quit going...but it hasn't happened yet. If you put this on the most basic supply and demand curve, the demand hasn't gone down yet. MK is getting 20 million guests a year!

Except that I don’t see how it’s doing anything to keep guests safe. Of the three security checks I was present for, only once did the employee even enter my room. He glanced into the darkened bathroom area without turning on the lights and then down the hall towards the room without actually going far enough to see around the corner into the space. He was in the room for probably less than five seconds and himself seemed uncomfortable about being in there, more focused on getting out as quickly as possible than anything. The room could’ve been stuffed to the ceiling with an arsenal of weapons and he wouldn’t have known. The other two times the employee didn’t enter at all, just stood at the door awkwardly asking things like “Are you okay, is everything okay?” over and over. On two out of three of those days, room service had already been in the room and honestly, their presence would’ve meant more from a security standpoint than the actual security personnel — they at least came all the way into the room and spent a full minute or two in there. It’s a shame room service entering your room doesn’t count for fulfilling the check requirement the way housekeeping does because it would’ve eliminated a lot of hassle for us.

It’s not the check itself that was problematic, it was the lead up to it — Fever of 103 and asleep. Awakened when phone starts ringing. Ignore it and fall back asleep. Ten minutes later someone is knocking on the door. We’re undressed so we don’t answer. Ten minutes later, phone starts up again. Get up and walk across the room to answer, tell them to come and do it now. Then spend 20 minutes pacing the room waiting for them to arrive hoping to catch them before they knock so they don’t wake the sleeping baby, just to have the guy refuse to enter when you gesture for him to come in and then stand at the door for ten seconds weirdly asking if you’re okay.

I knew the policy had been implemented and knew to expect the security checks prior to my trip. I had been of the mindset that everyone was overreacting over a minor change. Then I spent an hour a day dealing with this garbage and... yeesh, what a pain in the butt!

Except that I don’t see how it’s doing anything to keep guests safe. Of the three security checks I was present for, only once did the employee even enter my room. He glanced into the darkened bathroom area without turning on the lights and then down the hall towards the room without actually going far enough to see around the corner into the space. He was in the room for probably less than five seconds and himself seemed uncomfortable about being in there, more focused on getting out as quickly as possible than anything. The room could’ve been stuffed to the ceiling with an arsenal of weapons and he wouldn’t have known. The other two times the employee didn’t enter at all, just stood at the door awkwardly asking things like “Are you okay, is everything okay?” over and over. On two out of three of those days, room service had already been in the room and honestly, their presence would’ve meant more from a security standpoint than the actual security personnel — they at least came all the way into the room and spent a full minute or two in there. It’s a shame room service entering your room doesn’t count for fulfilling the check requirement the way housekeeping does because it would’ve eliminated a lot of hassle for us.

It’s not the check itself that was problematic, it was the lead up to it — Fever of 103 and asleep. Awakened when phone starts ringing. Ignore it and fall back asleep. Ten minutes later someone is knocking on the door. We’re undressed so we don’t answer. Ten minutes later, phone starts up again. Get up and walk across the room to answer, tell them to come and do it now. Then spend 20 minutes pacing the room waiting for them to arrive hoping to catch them before they knock so they don’t wake the sleeping baby, just to have the guy refuse to enter when you gesture for him to come in and then stand at the door for ten seconds weirdly asking if you’re okay.

I knew the policy had been implemented and knew to expect the security checks prior to my trip. I had been of the mindset that everyone was overreacting over a minor change. Then I spent an hour a day dealing with this garbage and... yeesh, what a pain in the butt!

It is kind of silly in a way, but I think like a lot of security procedures, it is the threat of getting caught that acts as a deterrent. If someone with bad intentions knows there well be room checks, they may think twice. Also, in the case of security personnel, that brief conversation at the door is enough to get a sense of what's going on. They can tell when someone is acting sketchy versus just trying to enjoy a vacation.

Sorry this is kind of hijacking this thread. With the cutbacks, I think it's weird that they will seasonally operate a restaurant to save money. Shouldn't the restaurant make money, especially at those prices?

We were there last week and stayed at AoA in the LM section. We had soap and individual shampoo and conditioner, no dispensers there yet. We had house keeping everyday and were left some towel animals. We never experienced a room check and they changed the sheets twice over the course of the week. Yes Disney is cutting back in some areas no doubt because there is a pressure to show profit. Yes I don't always like it but on the flip side I am a Disney stockholder so from that aspect profit is not a bad thing. I feel like as long as I see some good things happening with the bad then I am willing to accept a little more. For instance they just opened Toy Story Land which no doubt cost millions. Star Wars Land opens next year. Avatar opened last year so while costs increase and some things go away I can at least balance it all with the new attractions. We usually stay moderate or budget, take the Magical Express and use Disney Transportation so we have not felt the impact of parking fees. We try to go off season and so far the costs have been acceptable to us but then again it is just my wife and I. At some point as we retire completely and income becomes more fixed we may slow down on our trips but for now and our style of trips we have not felt the impact as much as others. As long as we still see value in going we will. Once we don't we won't.

I try to compare what other vacations cost compared to Disney and to tell the truth they are not getting any cheaper either. Part of the issue and my wife and I face it all the time is since we have been going since 1989 and probably taken 40 trips things have certainly changed and if we get to nostolgic for the good old days when things were cheaper and everything seemed more magical we find ourselves not enjoying the moment, so we accept it for what it is and have fun.

My thoughts exactly! So many (on other threads) keep saying "its to keep the stock holders happy". Well, if any of the stock holders are business people, they have to be asking--"what happens to our stock when people get fed up and quite going?"
They don't think that way. Corporate boards today are only concerned with this quarter's & next quarter's profits. That's what their jobs rise and fall on, not the distant future.

It's a bad business model, but that's the truth about corporations today. That's why they make so many destructive decisions. It's all in the quest for short-term profits at the expense of what will work for the long-term.

I also don’t like that they now charge you to park your car at your resort.

I feel like Disney uses “everyone else in our industry does it” as their reasoning for a lot of things now (like resort parking fees), whereas they used to think “we can do this better/different than everyone else.”

This is the one that caused us to book offsite this year, which I swore I would never do. We drive down, and I was going to have to pay to park either way; if I am paying to park, it will be at the parks and not an over-priced resort. It worked out well, we really liked staying in a condo and having so much extra space (and it was cheaper than a value resort!).

Last edited:
Strangely enough, we weren’t charged a resort parking fee as far as I can tell. (And we should have been based on when we booked.) I’m chalking that one up to pixie dust, I guess. :confused3

They don't think that way. Corporate boards today are only concerned with this quarter's & next quarter's profits. That's what their jobs rise and fall on, not the distant future.

It's a bad business model, but that's the truth about corporations today. That's why they make so many destructive decisions. It's all in the quest for short-term profits at the expense of what will work for the long-term.

and that, to me, is sad. No one is looking at the possible longevity of the Disney legacy. Only what will make a buck today.

My dad used to say everyone does business today like the world is going to end at 5pm.

That's why I prefer privately-run companies when it's feasible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter