Disney Dining Plan ruined Disney dining.

While I agree quality has gone down and prices have gone up I don't feel DDP is the cause. I don't believe Disney releases figures but in talking with Disney staff during visits they've long told me while DDP is popular, most diners are not using DDP. I believe the cause is the fact that demand far exceeds supply. A packed house every night, year round will cause quality to go down, prices to go up. They'll keep doing that until people vote with their wallet. I enjoy many of WDW's restaurants but I wouldn't classify most as being upscale. What I do enjoy is the unique dining experience many provide that I cannot get at home. The Disney immersion. Unfortunately some WDW restaurants have become too much like what I can find at home.

Ignore DDP for the minute. Bar menus have been standardized and simplified. Resort specific merchandise has been greatly redued. Refillable mugs are no longer resort specific. Even resort items such as bedding is starting to be somewhat standardized.

Prior to DDP many restaurants were empty many nights. Disney did the same thing with dining. Standardize. Price for the average guest. The DDP was the result of the changes, NOT the cause.

You can blame guests, and the internet, for some of the issues. Most price fixed menus, such as early bird, restaurant week...exclude some menu items or has upcharges. Some threads I suggested having some signature menu items requiring an upcharge. Virtually every poster in the thread thought it was a terrible to even consider treating DDP customers a second class diners.

I think the DDP is a grub plan, not a dining plan. I can't think of a single dining meal promotion that doesn't at least offer salad or soup as a first course. Disney doesn't have to offer shrimp cocktail.

Disney food is not mediocre for the most part. What it is, is largely boring, probably because they are catering to not very adventurous eaters. My brother in law, who routinely eats in very good (and very interesting) restaurants was nearly driven around the bend by platter after platter of very high quality, very simple food. This works well for my husband, and I don't mind it, but even my sister was finding it kind of strange. Not that I've never had a misstep, particularly at counter service, but the food is mostly good.

Call me crazy but I think they've done a decent job adding some interesting dining options - Satuli, Skipper's, SRT, Tiffins, AKL dining, Takumi-Tei. (and my personal fav, Jaleo).

Call me crazy but I think they've done a decent job adding some interesting dining options - Satuli, Skipper's, SRT, Tiffins, AKL dining, Takumi-Tei. (and my personal fav, Jaleo).
They have, and Tiffin's lounge was pretty much the only meal that made my BIL happy (and I was pleased to go there with them because it's NOT an option that works for my husband), but the majority of Disney restaurants are really not pushing the envelope. One of the better meals I've had (not just on property) was at the Turf Club, and while they did an outstanding job with everything that came out, it was really straightforward traditional American. I wouldn't even really call it steakhouse, although I think Disney may. Garden Grill was what really sent my BIL over the edge, although he and my sister had already noticed the phenomenon.

They have, and Tiffin's lounge was pretty much the only meal that made my BIL happy (and I was pleased to go there with them because it's NOT an option that works for my husband), but the majority of Disney restaurants are really not pushing the envelope. One of the better meals I've had (not just on property) was at the Turf Club, and while they did an outstanding job with everything that came out, it was really straightforward traditional American. I wouldn't even really call it steakhouse, although I think Disney may. Garden Grill was what really sent my BIL over the edge, although he and my sister had already noticed the phenomenon.

No one goes to Garden Grill for the food. Maybe hit up some of the DS restaurants next time for your BIL.

idk, I've always enjoyed using DDP when it was given to me.

And when people say "mediocre foods" for Disney dining, I am going to say that I highly disagree from someone who enjoys food and appreciate high quality restaurants in various states and including places near where I live. It all depends on where your taste in food is, and it's the quality you are expecting. For signature dining place, I've never really had an issue with the food they provided for me.

I love DDP, and I love it when people use it like me because for people like myself who spends a lot of time in table dining and signature dining that costs a lot of money if paid by cash.

Honestly I get some folks who dislike DDP, but I couldn't hate it because it's been more beneficial to me than do me bad. And you can enjoy park and dine in WDW. Doesnt' necessarily have to be one way or another.

I agree 100% with the original post. Each time I have gone to Disney with children, I’ve been amazed at how mediocre the food quality is. It is a world class personation for amusement.

The food quality is not even at the same “fast-casual” standard most of his customers are used to: chipotle, Panera, Cava, Shake Shack.

None of us up are surprised to pay more while on vacation. I was shocked that the food offerings were so terrible. Only now are they catching up to the plant-based and healthy diet.

On another Disney board I came across a post that the Disney Dining Plan has ruined good restaurants at Disney. Back in the 90s Disney had an executive named Dieter Hannig who is credited with bringing food up to a high standard. Once the dining plan came along they homogenized everything.

Do not forget how ridiculous it is that guests staying at a hotel can't often get a reservation at their own resort's restaurant for breakfast, which is something that's pretty unheard of anywhere else. Staying at the Polynesian and feel like 'Ohana or Tonga Toast? Sorry they're full.

No dining plan for over a year and pandemic or not the quality of food has not improved. Disney would have found a way to maximize profits and full restaurants with or without the dining plan. When the gold old days had terrific meals was also the times when parks were enjoyable with low crowds. The times have changed....unfortunately.

I, for one love making my reservations 180 days out. Never understood the hate
It depends what you like.

If you like having everything everything planned out 6 months before you arrive, then the system is great.

If you like more flexibility, then the system stinks.

We used to be preplanners, having everything mapped out from beginning to end. We'd spend months deciding what we wanted to do.

We got tired of that after a while. Now all the preplanning is just draining.

It depends what you like.

If you like having everything everything planned out 6 months before you arrive, then the system is great.

If you like more flexibility, then the system stinks.

We used to be preplanners, having everything mapped out from beginning to end. We'd spend months deciding what we wanted to do.

We got tired of that after a while. Now all the preplanning is just draining.

I typically plan it all out and book at 180 and then tweak it constantly til it is time to go. Ive never had much trouble even changing my reservations day of. The only things you are not gonna get day of, usually at least, is BOG, CRT and a few others. But most things are gettable. But I enjoy the planning part, just always have. What do you "non 180-dayers" want as far as reservations go then?

I typically plan it all out and tweak it constantly. Ive never had much trouble even changing my reservations day of. The only things you are not gonna get day of, usually at least, is BOG, CRT and a few others. But most things are gettable. But I enjoy the planning part, just always have. What do you "non 180-dayers" want as far as reservations go then?
Yes, it's nearly impossible to find TS reservations at the theme parks less than 60 days out.

Disney appears to recognize this and is starting to open more restaurants.

As you note, pre-COVID, there seemed to be at least some restaurants that would be available on short-notice.

Yes, it's nearly impossible to find TS reservations at the theme parks less than 60 days out.

Disney appears to recognize this and is starting to open more restaurants.

As you note, pre-COVID, there seemed to be at least some restaurants that would be available on short-notice.

I haven't been post covid, didnt see the desire to spend the same money for less of an experience. But I will be going back in December and Im hoping things are back to normalish. But all the way up to March 2020, restaurants were plenty available. Maybe not currently, but I don't think 180 days reservations hurt people that much.

I haven't been post covid, didnt see the desire to spend the same money for less of an experience. But I will be going back in December and Im hoping things are back to normalish. But all the way up to March 2020, restaurants were plenty available. Maybe not currently, but I don't think 180 days reservations hurt people that much.
I think there's a very good chance things will be back to normal in December.

President Biden announced his plans to get to 70% vaccinated (first dose) by July 1, and Orange County Mayor Demings (consulting with park operators) said that he would lift all mask requirements when 70% of the local population had received their first dose.

I really believe Disney wants to be back to normal for the start of the 50th anniversary celebrations (October 1).

I think there's a very good chance things will be back to normal in December.

President Biden announced his plans to get to 70% vaccinated (first dose) by July 1, and Orange County Mayor Demings (consulting with park operators) said that he would lift all mask requirements when 70% of the local population had received their first dose.

I really believe Disney wants to be back to normal for the start of the 50th anniversary celebrations (October 1).
Florida has no state opposed mask sanctions as of now, do they? I know the governor opened them up, not sure what the local governments are doing...

Florida has no state opposed mask sanctions as of now, do they? I know the governor opened them up, not sure what the local governments are doing...
Orange County still has a mask mandate.

Major Demings said he would lift the outdoor mandate when the local adult vaccination rate (first dose) was 50%.

He would lift the indoor mandate at 70%.

This image is from his presentation:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter