Disney Dream is now Yellow status with the CDC

I would also expect that this kind of thing is most likely to happen after day 5 on a 5+ night sailing, given the testing rules. So most quarantine would be 1-2 nights and likely limited in compensation practice.

I agree.

If you don't want to take a chance on quarantine, don't cruise during a pandemic. We all know this is a possibility. If you want to reduce the odds, skip the kids club or take a shorter cruise. It sounds like Disney handled it the way they were supposed to, so no point in directing anger at them.
I agree, but also feel like information such as this should be out there for more future passengers to know and understand. I would not have assumed that a child who was a close contact of a child who tested positive would end up in quarantine. That would be a big factor for us if we were sailing with an unvaccinated minor (which we are not).

I agree, but also feel like information such as this should be out there for more future passengers to know and understand. I would not have assumed that a child who was a close contact of a child who tested positive would end up in quarantine. That would be a big factor for us if we were sailing with an unvaccinated minor (which we are not).

Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't this how schools have been handling it..? Close contact = staying home for a bit? Could vary by state but that is how its been where I am. I imagine for longer cruises there would be a limit for how long they wait for a positive result. Currently the tests are 3-5 days after exposure, so it makes sense you go into quarantine regardless of a negative test if you had just been in contact. If anything I wonder why they waited for a result at all if they do the same in the end..? You'd think they would move you at the same time they're waiting for results.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't this how schools have been handling it..? Close contact = staying home for a bit? Could vary by state but that is how its been where I am. I imagine for longer cruises there would be a limit for how long they wait for a positive result. Currently the tests are 3-5 days after exposure, so it makes sense you go into quarantine regardless of a negative test if you had just been in contact. If anything I wonder why they waited for a result at all if they do the same in the end..? You'd think they would move you at the same time they're waiting for results.

I'm not sure - my daughter is in high school and is vaccinated, so the requirements are different. If that is the case in all states, it should be expected, I agree.

I'm just wondering why the move? Like, why can't they just stay isolated, but IN the room they were originally assigned. Now they are going to have two rooms that need deep disinfecting and potentially infectious persons moving about the ship to move all their stuff to another room. I don't really get why they can't isolate but in their original cabin. I must be missing something here.

I'm just wondering why the move? Like, why can't they just stay isolated, but IN the room they were originally assigned. Now they are going to have two rooms that need deep disinfecting and potentially infectious persons moving about the ship to move all their stuff to another room. I don't really get why they can't isolate but in their original cabin. I must be missing something here.

Because the quarantined rooms are guarded to make sure that the quarantinees stay quarantined. There aren't enough guards to keep them in their original rooms.

Not everywhere. In my county/school district, my 2nd grade daughter was considered "close contact" with a positive case (another girl in her class), BUT, our county has a "modified quarantine" program because all the kids are masked all the time at school -- they still go to school following the exposure, BUT...:
Modified Quarantine for K - 12 Exposed Students and Students Returning from Out of State Travel:
● Students may attend school for in-person instruction if they stay asymptomatic, wear a mask, monitor for symptoms for 14 days and get tested for COVID-19 5 days after last contact with positive case (or return from out-of-state travel). If any symptoms develop, immediately self-isolate and get tested for COVID-19 or be evaluated by a healthcare provider.
● Quarantine may be discontinued after 7 days with a negative test completed on Day 5 or later if they remain asymptomatic.
● During modified quarantine students cannot participate in any extracurricular, social or community activities (incl. childcare).

I understand the safety concern for why they do it, but I am also curious about the guest recovery aspect. If I was exposed to covid on my cruise on day 2 (for example) and had to spend the rest of the trip in quarantine, I would absolutely want a credit perhaps to be used on a future cruise. It wouldn’t even be the difference in stateroom for me, but the fact I couldn’t do any of the activities that are also wrapped into the cost of the cruise.
My husband was quarantined on the first night of a 3-night cruise back in 2018 due to suspected norovirus (given none of the rest of us got sick, I think food poisoning was a more likely culprit) and missed the entire cruise. Same thing happened to my coworker in 2019 when her daughter threw up in the kids club, and it was worse for her because she had booked independent excursions that couldn't be refunded and it was a 7-night cruise unlike our 3-night, so that was a lot of time spent watching movies with her daughter in their room. That's always been a risk of cruising. Insurance will typically cover the cost of the cruise prorated for the days you are quarantined.

Based on the below, this would mean 1.4 people tested positive assuming about 1,400 guests. I'd really like to know the actual circumstances but that doesn't sound crazy.

Yellow Ship Criteria
  • Ship is at or above CDC’s investigation threshold:
    • Restricted Voyages:
      • Cases reported in 0.10% or more of passengers (e.g., if 6500* passengers on board, CDC’s investigation threshold is met if there are 7 or more cases among passengers occurring during the previous 7 days), or
        • This percentage includes passenger cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation that CDC was notified of by state or local health departments.
      • One or more cases reported in crew.
    • Simulated Voyages:
      • Cases reported in 1.5% or more of passengers, or
      • Cases reported in 1.0% or more of crew.
    • Ships with Crew Only (i.e., not yet submitted requests for simulated voyages or applications for restricted voyages, pending CDC approval, or sailing at a later date).
      • Cases reported in 1.0% or more of crew.
  • OR
  • During the past 7 days, the ship failed to submit one or more daily EDC submissions on time (by 1200 ET). On a weekly basis, CDC emails all ships a reminder to submit the EDC form. In addition, CDC sends a reminder email if a ship does not submit their EDC form.
*The largest cruise ships can carry up to 6500 passengers on board.

I believe they are currently allowing 1900 guests, as of last week. Jen Lefforge just returned and was vlogging and she was on the last of the 1600 sailings.

Heard there were guests quarantined on the fantasy 8 night that just got back this morning. Heard there were guests from deck 6 and deck 8 that had to go into quarantine during the cruise.

They were serious about safety. A small child threw up in cabanas one day at lunch. The first person to their table was an officer wanting to know their room number.

Are they making vaccinated kids quarantine too? (I have a 12-year-old who is vaccinated but wanted to go to the kids club.)

Thanks for posting about your experience. That is very helpful for planning purposes. I would not have expected it to work exactly that way and appreciate understanding in advance what to expect.

Heard there were guests quarantined on the fantasy 8 night that just got back this morning. Heard there were guests from deck 6 and deck 8 that had to go into quarantine during the cruise.

They were serious about safety. A small child threw up in cabanas one day at lunch. The first person to their table was an officer wanting to know their room number.
Hopefully someone will report on the circumstances and procedures. Seems like this is very valuable information for future cruisers when deciding if and how to sail.

They did this pre-Covid too. I have crazy (weird and varied) food allergies. This can cause random throwing up. When this happened on one of my Disney cruises, they right away wanted to know my room number. Luckily, they didn't get paranoid and let me dismiss it as allergies; I'm curious (though really don't want to find out) how they would respond now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter