Disney Dream - Restart Content (initial cruises)

I really hope they implement something like Royal's Voom on the Wish and future ships. Paying per MB is so antiquated. Charge me $X a day for unlimited and call it done! And make sure it's faster than my 2400 bps modem from 1984!

(and unlimited internet included with all Concierge rooms)

Woah that might turn me on staying on the new class of ship at some point.

I am fine with being completely disconnected but just with kids back home and work sometimes it would be good to have the option.

To improve Wi-Fi they'd have to upgrade the link they use. But, satellite based internet is much more prevalent, and much faster, now than when the 4 previous ships were built. And with services like Starlink coming on-line it will only improve.

To improve Wi-Fi they'd have to upgrade the link they use. But, satellite based internet is much more prevalent, and much faster, now than when the 4 previous ships were built. And with services like Starlink coming on-line it will only improve.
With Starlink, avid cruises can just ignore the cruise line's Wifi and travel with their own!

I am fine with being completely disconnected but just with kids back home and work sometimes it would be good to have the option.
41 years of cruising, the phone in the stateroom always made us reachable in an emergency. However, as my late mother always said to us when she was on a cruise, "if there is an emergency at home, don't call me and ruin my vacation, I'll deal with anything when I get home".

41 years of cruising, the phone in the stateroom always made us reachable in an emergency. However, as my late mother always said to us when she was on a cruise, "if there is an emergency at home, don't call me and ruin my vacation, I'll deal with anything when I get home".
I think I read that they removed the wave phones from all rooms and now solely rely on their app for communication.

Maybe so in a few years. We are currently in the Starlink Beta and there’s no way I would lug the satellite dish on a cruise. Also, currently, you aren’t able to actually move it as it(as they have location restrictions on them). But I assume that eventually it will be mobile, just don’t know how logical hauling around a dish would be unless it was on a camper or something.

They would also probably have to also replace all the hot spots in the ship, so not an easy or fast process. One of the best things about cruising for us has been getting away from cell phones and internet. But that isn't the trend. Dealt with this a bit at Spring Training in Phoenix in March 2020 with the stadiums that went with MLB's ticketless system. It really slowed things down because the scanners wouldn't read the ticket because of the sun glare on the screen. Throw in trying to read a ticket on a phone with a cracked screen and dead batteries, it was a very frustrating experience for the ticket takers and fans alike. And if you have been to Spring Training you know many of the workers at the stadiums are senior citizens who are not comfortable with technology.

I have been watching some of the vlogs from the first cruise. Most people seem to be making the best of it. It has cemented for me that I am not willing to pay DCL prices for the current experience, though. Hopefully, things will improve by next year (though that is what I said last year).

Maybe so in a few years. We are currently in the Starlink Beta and there’s no way I would lug the satellite dish on a cruise. Also, currently, you aren’t able to actually move it as it(as they have location restrictions on them). But I assume that eventually it will be mobile, just don’t know how logical hauling around a dish would be unless it was on a camper or something.
Good to know. I don't know why for some reason I assumed they were portable, like the old Motorola Iridium cell phone system.

Musk has plans for mobile terminals. But seeing that they would be too big to mount on a car, even in the future, I can't see them being small enough for personal mobile use. There are physics at play that mean a minimum antenna size.

Good to know. I don't know why for some reason I assumed they were portable, like the old Motorola Iridium cell phone system.

The data rates on the Iridium network are not suitable for use as an internet access point. (Iridium is still in use)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter