DISNEY educational trip?????

Wow... Thanks alot everyone you all have been a great help. I actually just had my daughter hand the form in this past Monday the 19th... We will see what they say but bottom line one way or another we are going in 9 days.

My daughter is 11 years old and has only missed 2 days the entire school year for being sick which I would imagine should help our cause... And she has been doing very well academically all year which also should be a positive factor. I will let everyone know what comes of this.

I have found that if you connect the itinerary with their actual standards they are learning, it's more likely to be approved. For example, for my 6th grader in KY I used this:
Friday,: Visit Disneyworld’s magic kingdom and participate in the following activities:

Hall of Presidents: 6.R.L.6 Explain how an author develops the point of view of the narrator or speaker in a text. She will not only learn about American History of the presidents but she also will explain strategies the author used to develop POV of several of the presidents speeches.
Navigating with Park Map: 6.G.GR.1 Use maps and other geographic representations.
She will lead and navigate using park maps at the theme parks and discuss the importance of maps.

Tuesday : Visit Epcot and the following activities/events:
Sea Base (aquarium and marine education center) : 06-LS2-1. Analyze and interpret data to provide evidence for the effects of resource availability on organisms and populations of organisms in an ecosystem. She will read text information, listen to staff speak on a variety of animals, and will analyze that information to determine how food and shelter affect animal populations. She will connect past extinctions of organisms and how those were related to a lack of resources.
The Living Land: 06-LS2-2. Construct an explanation that predicts patterns of interactions among organisms across multiple ecosystems She will experience narration of the importance of farming, agriculture, and specific adaptations of crops as well as witness hydroponics and aquaponics in action and will learn about the use of insects to pollinate plants. She will also be able to predict patterns among organisms in different ecosystems, such as the desert and rainforest and will get to see examples of these ecosystems and will be able to to identify patterns such as how organisms depend on each other for survival, trophic levels, etc.

Wednesday: Visit Animal KIngdom and do the following activities:
The Lion KIng Musical: 6.RL7. Compare and contrast the experience of reading a story, drama, or poem to listening to or viewing an audio, video, or live version of the text, including contrasting what they “see” and “hear” when reading the text to what they perceive when they listen or watch. She will read the books and then compare and contrast the books to the live performance.
Nemo The Musical: TH:Cr1.1.6 Identify possible solutions to staging challenges in a drama/theatre work. She will identify and discuss staging challenges the cast might have faced in the musical play done with large puppets and discuss solutions to those challenges.

Thursday : Visit Hollywood Studios and participate in the following activities:
Beauty and The Beast Musical: 6.RL3. Describe how a particular story’ s or drama’s plot unfolds in a series of episodes as well as how the characters respond or change as the plot moves toward a resolution. She will describe the rising action of the musical and identify character traits of the main characters.
Animator Drawing Class: VA:Cr2.1..6 Demonstrate openness in trying new ideas, materials, methods, and approaches in making works of art and design. She will receive instructions from an animator on creating an animation and will work with the animator to create a piece of artwork that is meaningful to her.

Friday : Visit Epcot and participate in the following activities:
Test Track: VA:Cr2.1..6 Demonstrate openness in trying new ideas, materials, methods, and approaches in making works of art and design. MS-ETS1-4. Develop a model to generate data for iterative testing and modification of a proposed object, tool, or process such that an optimal design can be achieved.In this activity she will design on a screen her own car, including the shape, size, aerodynamics, etc. She will then test out her design and learn about it’s successful design and flaws.
World Showcase: VA:Pr7.1.6 Identify and interpret works of art or design that reveal how people live around the world and what they value. In this activity she will explore several different countries including Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Morocco, Japan, the United States, Italy, Germany, China, Norway and Mexico. She will read stories, myths and literature and see traditional culture through dress and food throughout the different countries. Artwork and the design of the buildings will be connected with the values of those cultures.

Additional educational skills she will experience throughout the week include:
-Learning to read and follow a map and the design of the parks that allows for successful transitions.
-Learning to balance spending money and monitor her budget.
-Learning about the advancements in transportation from the airplane, to buses and also looking back at the horse drawn carriage in Magic Kingdom.

Wow! I'm glad our school doesn't ask for 'proof' of education value. When I handed the last form into the office (we only needed to put the dates and where we were going) the person in the office said we won't get the form back or anything - just assume it's approved!

I am a Guidance Counselor, and part of my job is to review and approve these. We see 80% Diz Ed trips, 20% everything else (from Pennsylvania). So, the school know the real score. Put the sort of stuff above. I would not sweat the form too much!
Interesting. In my area I've heard it is not nearly as no big deal. The schools get upset if you pull your kids from school for a Disney trip, even for a few days. Especially at the High and JR High level, but even at elementary. I have a friend who was really sweating it, trying to figure out what to say that isn't going to piss off administration/teachers so they don't penalize his kids, but isn't teaching them dishonesty.

My husband was home schooled and was taught in a way to find educational experiences in every day experiences. I'm taking our daughter out of school for a few days for a Disney trip and we've already discussed what educational opportunities are there.

We just spent the weekend in Tarrytown, Ny and went to Sleepy Hollow. We're lucky enough that she doesn't mind going all sorts of places....not a complaint when touring Washington Irving's house.

Interesting. In my area I've heard it is not nearly as no big deal. The schools get upset if you pull your kids from school for a Disney trip, even for a few days. Especially at the High and JR High level, but even at elementary. I have a friend who was really sweating it, trying to figure out what to say that isn't going to piss off administration/teachers so they don't penalize his kids, but isn't teaching them dishonesty.

Keep in mind that post (and most of this thread) is from 2010. A lot of school districts have become more strict on how many days kids can miss now that many tie funding to attendance and test scores.

You could also work in things like map reading skills and budgeting. (If they have a certain amount of money to spend for souvenirs). Also money skills if they check for correct change after purchases. Living with the land would be another educational ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter