Disney Genie Is Now Live Post Your Hints and Tips

This is how I used Genie and Genie+ on my recent trip.

I am a solo international visitor and this was my first visit since June 2019. I don't park hop, I do one park per day.
  • I bought Genie+ first thing each morning after scanning into the park.
  • I used the photopass option all over both parks
  • I went to a land, checked the App and then bought or booked Lightning Lanes with almost immediate return times.
  • If a standby has a longer than 15 minute wait I go Lightning Lanes instead.
  • I use single rider to repeat rides
  • If a ride has a low standby I used Lightning Lanes when the standby went high
  • I used Lightning Lane on Rise of The Resistance with an almost immediate return time to make sure I got to ride it.

I loved using the App, and was constantly checking My Day, Tip Board and the filters on the interactive Map.

For me it was worth paying $20 per day / $60 for my 3 park days for Genie+ and it was defiantly worth paying $20 per ride /$40 over 2 days for Rise of The Resistance.

DAS has nothing to do with Genie. Because of my granddaughters anxiety /sensory issues, the long waits especially in noisy close quarters queues are an issue, so she and her party that ride with her get a return time based on the standy time. We still wait, just not in the line. We snack, bathroom, take a quiet break, or sometimes do a short wait time attraction or show, then come to the ride later. She can also hold a Genie + reservation for the ride as her DAS return is considered a standby ride, since she is still waiting, just not physically in line. Once she redeems her DAS ride by tapping into the ride, she can request another DAS return time for the ride again or some other ride.
So with the DAS, she could theoretically ride twice close together, if she gets a DAS return time, and a Genie + time close together. The person with the DAS must ride with her party to utilize the DAS return time.
One thing that is nice about the new system, is that you can request the DAS return time in the app, instead of having to go to the attraction in person.

I so miss fast passes. I'm hoping that they will be returning this year. And honestly I'm still confused about how this lighting lane thing works. And that is do you have to pay each and every time extra, in order to not do stand by? That would add up to a small fortune 😲

I so miss fast passes. I'm hoping that they will be returning this year. And honestly I'm still confused about how this lighting lane thing works. And that is do you have to pay each and every time extra, in order to not do stand by? That would add up to a small fortune 😲
Fastpass is not coming back. Genie+ has taken its place and the execs are heaping praise on it.

Genie+ is a once a day purchase of $20 that includes the ability to choose from numerous rides to skip the line. Photopass is also included in that $20 cost.

Rides available in Disneyland:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/ge...rawer-card-disneylandAttractionsEntertainment
Rides available in California Adventure:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/genie/lightning-lane/#drawer-card-dcaAttractionsEntertainment
Individual Lightning Lane attractions ($5-$20) are a once a day purchase for a single ride for that purchase. Those rides are Rise of the Resistance, Radiator Springs Racers and Spiderman. You are paying to skip 1 specific line and that is all you get from that purchase.

Again, these costs are for 1 day only.

I've read through a lot of this thread and done some Googling, but can't seem to find this info...

With parkhoppers, if I book a 1pm ride return LL for the other park (I know that it auto converts to that time), will I then have to wait the full 2 hours before booking another LL in my current park?

I thought you were only allowed to book a ride once per day. Maybe the better phrasing would be, you are only allowed to book and ride once per day. What happens if I, for example, book Space because it's down and I'm hoping to get a bonus pass. If Space comes back up during my window but I don't actually ride it., am I allowed to book it again? Does that make sense?

Thanks!

I tried looking for this question within this (and other) threads, so apologies if it has been asked already...

If I rope drop DCA, and purchase a ILL for ROTR, I know that the time should automatically change to 1pm for the ROTR return time. Can I then, immediately purchase a ILL for RSR for a time *earlier* than 1pm, or does that next ILL return time have to be after 1pm?

Thank you for your reply. Now I understand better how it works. And if I completely understand it, I do not like it anywhere close to, much less more than fast passes. I really love the fastpass, that has always been my closest Disney friend you know what I mean? Anyway, I still am just wondering though is that $20 for more than one different ride or only one ride? That's what I'm still not quite clear on.
Sorry I don't mean to sound thick.

Thank you

I'm much more familiar with using Genie+ at WDW so I have a couple questions. At WDW if you are staying in a Disney resort you can buy your LL and make reservations starting at 7AM and other people can only do it at park opening. Is that the same at DL? Can you guy Genie+ in the morning before getting to the park? Are there any other differences I should know about?

Thank you for your reply. Now I understand better how it works. And if I completely understand it, I do not like it anywhere close to, much less more than fast passes. I really love the fastpass, that has always been my closest Disney friend you know what I mean? Anyway, I still am just wondering though is that $20 for more than one different ride or only one ride? That's what I'm still not quite clear on.
Sorry I don't mean to sound thick.

Thank you
I'm much more familiar with using Genie+ at WDW so I have a couple questions. At WDW if you are staying in a Disney resort you can buy your LL and make reservations starting at 7AM and other people can only do it at park opening. Is that the same at DL? Can you guy Genie+ in the morning before getting to the park? Are there any other differences I should know about?
Hello, this is mainly for Disney Loving Iowan, but should help you out as well Gisele:

Genie+ and ILL$ Differences between Disneyland and Disney World:
https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2021...s an added cost you,on using the system there.

I plan to buy Genie + for our trip this summer, even though my granddaughter has a DAS, for the photos and maybe to be able to coordinate the two. We will be doing a VIP tour in the afternoon leading ending up with the fireworks. Would it be an good option to make Genie + reservations of attractions that historically break down more often while I'm on the tour, in hopes of getting a recovery pass to use while not on the tour? Do the recovery passes have to be used the same day issued or could we use them the next day?
Your VIP tour should include a single-use code that will allow you to download all your Photopass photos for free (including Disney photographers, magic shots, and ride photos) -- no need to purchase Genie+ for that purpose. Just hang on to your Photopass card(s) and keep track of those ride photo codes so you can add everything to your account before downloading.

Your VIP tour should include a single-use code that will allow you to download all your Photopass photos for free (including Disney photographers, magic shots, and ride photos) -- no need to purchase Genie+ for that purpose. Just hang on to your Photopass card(s) and keep track of those ride photo codes so you can add everything to your account before downloading.
Thanks for the info. At our WDW trip, I had memory maker for the whole trip, linked with magic bands, so I didn't have to deal with cards or getting my phone out so much, so I never asked about photos included with tours

So after I scan into the park, where in the app do I go to buy genie+? It wasn't available as an add on when I bought my tickets 4 months ago or I would have added it on at that time.

So after I scan into the park, where in the app do I go to buy genie+? It wasn't available as an add on when I bought my tickets 4 months ago or I would have added it on at that time.

Right at the top of the main page in the app, click View My Day:

Screenshot_20220222-202025.png

On the next page, click Get Disney Genie+ for Today:

Screenshot_20220222-202042.png

Then Get Disney Genie Services:

Screenshot_20220222-202254.png

On the last page, you'll select the guests you're purchasing for.

On the last page, you'll select the guests you're purchasing for.
Should I link the tickets of the other members of my party so we can reserve Genie+ times together? Or can we keep them separate and coordinate and likely be okay (much like getting the old paper fastpasses)? If I do link other tickets, can the other person with the app make their own Genie+ selections, or only through my app?

Should I link the tickets of the other members of my party so we can reserve Genie+ times together? Or can we keep them separate and coordinate and likely be okay (much like getting the old paper fastpasses)? If I do link other tickets, can the other person with the app make their own Genie+ selections, or only through my app?
If you are planning to do genie+ Link your tickets together. If they are not liked you could end up with different return times.

multi experience will be good for the rest of the day.

So a ride booked that is down it will turn into a multi experience, I can then go back onto the app and book another LL attraction or I have to use that multi pass first? Hope I worded that correctly. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter