Disney Gift Card Questions

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
Bear with me here...I have a lot of questions that I hope you guys can help me with.

We just got a Target red card and I want to periodically buy Disney gift cards that will be used on future WDW/Disneyland trips. I'm basically looking at them as a way to pre-pay for food and souvenirs with a 5% discount.

The Disney Gift Card website says you can only have 6 cards on there at a time. So do you just transfer new cards onto 1 card? Or do you first have to load it onto the site and then transfer it? What happens if you buy more than 6?

Can you put the gift cards onto the WDW/Disneyland apps so they are easy to pay with for mobile orders?

If you use a Disney Gift Card in the parks, do you get a 10% discount like you would when using a Disney Visa?

Bear with me here...I have a lot of questions that I hope you guys can help me with.

We just got a Target red card and I want to periodically buy Disney gift cards that will be used on future WDW/Disneyland trips. I'm basically looking at them as a way to pre-pay for food and souvenirs with a 5% discount.

The Disney Gift Card website says you can only have 6 cards on there at a time. So do you just transfer new cards onto 1 card? Or do you first have to load it onto the site and then transfer it? What happens if you buy more than 6?

Can you put the gift cards onto the WDW/Disneyland apps so they are easy to pay with for mobile orders?

If you use a Disney Gift Card in the parks, do you get a 10% discount like you would when using a Disney Visa?
I haven’t used the gift card website so cannot help with that.

You cannot put the gift cards on the app in advance of using them. What many do is copy their numbers into Notes then copy and paste them into the app as needed.

Our family Carrie’s the physical cards with us and pack a sharpie. As we use them we write the new balance on the card.

No, gift cards do not offer any sort of discount.

Bummer about not getting a discount. So that means for purchases over a certain amount (I can never remember if it's $40 or $50), it would make more sense to use my Disney Visa to get the 10% off (plus 2% back in points) and just save gift cards for purchases under the amount?

There's an entire gc thread that may have your answers on the 1st page. If not you'll get answers quicker there than a new thread. It's all about saving money on dis and other gc.

Bummer about not getting a discount. So that means for purchases over a certain amount (I can never remember if it's $40 or $50), it would make more sense to use my Disney Visa to get the 10% off (plus 2% back in points) and just save gift cards for purchases under the amount?
The Disney Visa discount is the same as the Annual Pass or DVC Member discount; maybe a little less prolific. If you qualify with an AP or DVC, you can still get the discount when paying with gift cards.

Be aware the FAQs on the Disney Gift Card website says do not consider it a “mobile bank”. I use it to consolidate gift card amounts-up to $1,000 on a card and then delete them off the website. It’s easier to hand a TA a couple of gift cards as opposed to a stack when paying off a vacation.

Be aware the FAQs on the Disney Gift Card website says do not consider it a “mobile bank”. I use it to consolidate gift card amounts-up to $1,000 on a card and then delete them off the website. It’s easier to hand a TA a couple of gift cards as opposed to a stack when paying off a vacation.
I'm always worried about being hacked! I refuse to leave them on there.

I've done this multiple times now, so yes you start adding the gift cards you purchased to your account then transfer into your "main" gift card to make space to new ones.

The Disney Visa discount is the same as the Annual Pass or DVC Member discount; maybe a little less prolific. If you qualify with an AP or DVC, you can still get the discount when paying with gift cards.
Close but not exactly the same and not offered everywhere ap/DVC is. Also for merch you have to spend minimum $50 and put on Disney visa. With AP/DVC you can pop into a shop and grab a bottle of water and you will get the discount when the total will be far less than $50. Also with DVC/AP you can use your MagicBand and leave the Visa in the room safe

We don't have an AP and only have resale DVC so Disney Visa is the only way we get a discount and it has to be over $50.

We don't have an AP and only have resale DVC so Disney Visa is the only way we get a discount and it has to be over $50.
In your case that is even more reason to stock up on discounted Gift Cards to use on your trips and you can also use them to get a discount on your DVC Dues as well.

The Visa could be beneficial if dining at Table Service locations but note the discount does not apply to alcohol on the bill.

There is a site called mouseperks that shows the different discount amount and what can be used although I don't know if it has been updated recently as it still shows "Tables in Wonderland" but it will give you a good idea.

If I order a $50 Disney gift card from the Target website, will I be able to add money to it later if I get e-gift cards? Or is that not possible?

Thanks. I wasn't sure since it's an actual $50 card and not one where you can choose the amount.

Disney giftcards (physical and e-gift) can hold up to $1,000 each.

Target giftcards are sold as max $500.

I think you mean max 6 cards managed on your account at Disney's giftcard site. You can consolidate giftcards on the site, so say combine two Target cards and just delete the empty one. I guess you could have six giftcards each with $1,000 on there, but would you really need more than that?

If you did, you could remove the physical giftcard from the giftcard site; it would still have your money on it.

I haven't been since 2021 but I wasn't able to pay for mobile orders with a giftcard.

I haven't been since 2021 but I wasn't able to pay for mobile orders with a giftcard.

I was there Oct 2021, and unless something has changed, you can use gift cards for mobile order (we did)
The site will not store gift cards as it does credit cards. You have to basically store your gift card number in notes on your phone, then cut & paste it into the payment. A bit of a hassle, but we had a lot of $ in gift cards so it was worth it

Disney giftcards (physical and e-gift) can hold up to $1,000 each.

Target giftcards are sold as max $500.

I think you mean max 6 cards managed on your account at Disney's giftcard site. You can consolidate giftcards on the site, so say combine two Target cards and just delete the empty one. I guess you could have six giftcards each with $1,000 on there, but would you really need more than that?

If you did, you could remove the physical giftcard from the giftcard site; it would still have your money on it.

Based on advice from others it is best to combine cards and then remove all of them from the website as some people stated their accounts had been hacked and lost everything on the cards.

I keep a spreadsheet with the GC #, EAN Initial amount, Money Transferred to/from the cards, current balance and total balance of all cards. (Remember if you cancel a trip etc it gets returned to the original payment method so don't through the cards away until you are actually through your trip)

As to more than 6K in gift cards, yes it does happen if you are planning in the future and plan to use them on a Cruise, DVC Dues or AP Renewals as those are all large purchases but by accumulating discounted Disney Gift cards and combining them to make it easier for you and/or a TA to use. (NO Travel Agent is going to take 40 $25 cards :) ) it takes the sting out a little on the entire cost. Plus you can seek discounted cards through out the year.

We've done this in the past for trips that are longer to get the 5% discount. I will say, I did it using the physical cards that I purchased at target, not ecards since there are limits on amount you can purchase at a time. I don't go to target often so I'd buy 10-15 each visit, sadly the $100 denominations are always sold out. You will manage your disney GC via the disney GC site and you can store up to $1k on each disney card, but max is 6 cards, likely for liability issues. If you were to use it to pay for your trip, you'd eat that up pretty fast and can use up each GC in increments by calling to pay down the trip and then load more cards on the site as necessary. Does that make sense? Essentially, you could use each gift card to pay disney directly but if you're going to combine balances, it's just easier to manage them on the Disney GC website. Once you start doing it, it will make sense.

Most trips, I used the bulk of GC to pay for the package and only had 1 or 2 leftover cards to manage on my trip. I don't love the idea of having $1k on each card with me but we never had any issues and thankfully never lost them. Also, I'm sure the same rules apply but do not delete any info for each and every Disney GC you buy. If you need a refund or something happens, you need that card to get your money back. I did toss one card one time after use and when we got money back for a hotel issue, I didn't have the card. Disney did issue me a new GC but it was a bit of a hassle. It can be time consuming loading your cards into the disney GC site but I'd imagine the e-GC should be easier since there's no scratching off the pin code on the back of cards so you can just copy/paste into the site.

No discount for using a disney GC. You can definitely use the disney GC for mobile orders but as others have mentioned, store the GC you're using in your notes app on your phone since you cannot store a GC number in MDE. It's easy enough to copy and paste your card number.

I use the gift card webpage pretty frequently. It allows you to consolidate all your gift cards into one. We usually have just a main gift card that I keep in my wallet and add funds to it as I collect more cards. I also do a lot of shopkick, so I get a bunch of digital cards that I just transfer to my physical one too. When transfering money, it gives you the option to delete the cards that no longer have any money on them. And you can also name any 6 of the stored cards under your account to help better organize.

Question: Today I was trying to consolidate 2 Disney gift cards and the web page for that said that couldn't be done at this time, try again later. I did, it still isn't working. Has anyone else experienced that this week?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter