Disney gift cards not good at some WDW venues or the Food & Wine festival food kiosks???

k5thbeatle

DIS Veteran
Just spoke with a cm who told me that Disney gift cards are not good at all Disney shops and restaurants AND that they are not valid at the Food & Wine festival food kiosks???o_O This is news to me as we've always used gift cards before at all the F&W booths. Is this something new or as I suspect, a misinformed cm passing along erroneous information?

Last year they sold reloadable gift cards on wrist bracelets specifically for Food and Wine. I bought one and put my daily budget on it. Super easy to use at a kiosk without having to keep digging out my wallet and, when the money on the gift card was gone, I was done eating for the day. Or, as it happened, if I had money left, I could use that gift card at other stores to buy things.

I've always used the Disney Gift Cards at the F&W booths, so if what you were told is true, it would be new this year, and I would think the fact would be all over the DIS boards. In all the trips we've made to the F&W festival (10 trips, multiple days each trip), we had about an hour in one day/one trip when only cash was accepted because the system was down.

Was this a phone CM (dining, reservations or other?) or are you currently onsite speaking to someone in person?

Last year they sold reloadable gift cards on wrist bracelets specifically for Food and Wine. I bought one and put my daily budget on it. Super easy to use at a kiosk without having to keep digging out my wallet and, when the money on the gift card was gone, I was done eating for the day. Or, as it happened, if I had money left, I could use that gift card at other stores to buy things.
Thanks for the info. I want to get the wrist bracelets for our trip in November. I didn’t realize we could use them for merchandise

Thanks for the info. I want to get the wrist bracelets for our trip in November. I didn’t realize we could use them for merchandise

Yep. Disney gift cards are Disney gift cards. Yes, they market the ones on the wristband for F&W (maybe F&G too?), but it's a Disney gift card that can be used anywhere they are accepted - food, merch, resort, cruise line...

Yep. Disney gift cards are Disney gift cards. Yes, they market the ones on the wristband for F&W (maybe F&G too?), but it's a Disney gift card that can be used anywhere they are accepted - food, merch, resort, cruise line...
Cool

To be fair, there are some places that GC are not accepted, like restaurants at Swan/Dolphin and kiosks like ones selling churros or popcorn or ballons. I would be VERY surprised if they are accepted at the artists booths throughout the festival. I use GC's a lot at WDW, but I also like an alternate payment method on me at all times. I think the CM was trying to convey that they are not accepted EVERYWHERE...that's the take home.

Last edited:
I'm assuming if staying onsite and you find a booth that doesn't accept them you could just charge to the room and then go and pay off part of your room charges with your gift card?

I'm assuming if staying onsite and you find a booth that doesn't accept them you could just charge to the room and then go and pay off part of your room charges with your gift card?
Not exactly, the place you're purchasing from has to have a tap pad for you to enter a PIN & to know which room to bill to. Not every purchase point has this option either. Personally, I wear my MB, carry a CC, GC, & cash.

It sounds like a bit of misinformation. Although I will warn you that when a summer storm hits, the ability to pay via anything but cash typically goes down for the booths (I am not sure why they haven't, in a the years of F&W figured out a safer method for the booths to keep their systems working but, there you are). Gift cards are included in that, so there are times when barely anything is accepted.

The CM is not technically wrong. There are numerous places on property that do not accept Disney gift cards, including the majority of Disney Springs, some merch vendors, the Swan/Dolphin restaurants, and any non Disney owned/operated gift shops or food locations.

Disney run F&W booths accept them.

Not exactly, the place you're purchasing from has to have a tap pad for you to enter a PIN & to know which room to bill to. Not every purchase point has this option either. Personally, I wear my MB, carry a CC, GC, & cash.

Ah OK makes sense. I'd have cash on me anyway I just was thinking that I'd charge most to the room and then pay off with gift card rather than carrying the gift card around with me to be honest - one less thing to carry

We used our Disney Gift Card exclusively for F & W last September. These were gift cards we were given prior to our departure from home.

Maybe they got that confused with Disney Springs....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter