Disney has Announced GREAT New Military Salute!

I double checked on whether or not the passes can be bought for anyone, and they can. We'll be buying them for our kids, a friend and her kids, and another close friend that is coming down for the week.

I can't wait!!

Hey everyone!
Does anyone know a good address or phone number for a Disney executive so I can write a letter? I would like to first thank them for this offer for our active duty and "activated reservists" It is a great thing they are doing. I do not want to complain or anything, but I would like to show them why the program Sea World is running makes more sense. Sea World is opening up the program to active duty as well as all active reservists. When Disney limits this great program and excludes active reservists who are not "activated" but still doing Enduring Freedom business away from their family they defeat its purpose. One example is the reserve pilots who are flying combat sorties over Afghanistan on active duty orders but who are not "activated". I know the Navy, Marines, Army and Coast Guard has people in the same boat. I would like to propose to Disney (and Universal) that, as a minimum, they open their program to reservists who perform active duty supporting Enduring Freedom during their time frame (1 Jan-30 Apr) and have valid orders. Or better yet, do it like Sea World. They open their offer to all active duty and active reservists! (YEAH SEA WORLD!!!) What do you think? Am I a whiner or what? I would like to bounce it off them because it never hurts to ask!
Thanks,
Major Zipitydooda
Pilot
USAF RESERVE

If they have active duty orders, they are eligible for the Disney offer, or at least that is the way I read the release. Their spouse would have to take a copy of the orders to get the discounted tickets.

I will readily admit to being pretty ignorant about the Guard/Reserve status issues, but if someone is on active duty orders, is that not considered activated?

Has any one who is active duty ever used the vouchers for the condo's for 240 a week? They have a bunch listed on the MWR website for the month of Jan. I was just curious if they were nice.

DISers--Here's the press release I received on base:
Flounder

"Disney's Armed Forces Salute" program honors the nearly 1.5 million American men and women in our active military who are fighting for freedom today. This program gives active U.S. military personnel complimentary admission into Disney's U.S. theme parks, as well as ticket discounts for family members and friends, all as more fully described below.

The program will be offered from January 1, 2002 to April 30, 2002, by both the Walt Disney World® Resort in Florida and the Disneyland Resort® in California. The program will be offered from January through May 2002 by Disney Cruise Line. This program is neither paid for nor sponsored, in whole or in part, by the U.S. military or any branch thereof.

WALT DISNEY WORLD® RESORT AND DISNEY CRUISE LINE

Who is eligible to participate in the Disney's Armed Forces Salute program?
All active U.S. military personnel are eligible. This includes active members of the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marines, Navy and Coast Guard and activated members of the National Guard and Reservists.

What is included in the offer?
Complimentary 7-Day Tickets-·Each active member of the U.S. military may obtain one Complimentary Seven-Day Ticket during the offer period (January 1, 2002 through April 30, 2002). This ticket will be valid for admission into the four Walt Disney World® Theme Parks, Disney's Water Parks, Pleasure Island and more, for seven consecutive days from the date issued.
Special Offer Tickets --Within seven days after receiving the Complimentary 7-Day Ticket, each active U.S. military member may also purchase various Special Offer Tickets for up to five family members and friends at a 50% discount off Disney's regular retail price for those tickets.

The various Special Offer Tickets are as follows:
1-Day/1-Park Ticket
4-Day Park Hopper® Ticket
5-Day Park Hopper ® Ticket
5-Day Park Hopper ® Plus Ticket
6-Day Park Hopper ® Plus Ticket
7-Day Park Hopper ® Plus Ticket
1-Day Disney Water Park Ticket
1-Day Downtown Disney® Pleasure Island Ticket
1-Day DisneyQuest® Indoor Interactive Theme Park Ticket

If active members of the U.S. military are unable to come to the Walt Disney World® Resort during the offer period (January 1, 2002 to April 30, 2002), their spouses may purchase the Special Offer Tickets one time during this period for up to five family members and friends (including the spouse) at a 50% discount off Disney's regular retail price for those tickets.
All Special Offer Tickets must be used within seven days after they are purchased.

"Disney's Armed Forces Salute"
Questions and Answers

Special Offer Tickets - Each active member (or, if the active member is unable to come to the Walt Disney World® Resort during the offer period, his or her spouse) may only purchase up to five Special Offer Tickets for admission to the Walt Disney World® theme parks.

Rooms -- U.S. active military personnel are also eligible for discounts at select Disney resorts, starting with a $49 per night rate (plus tax) at Disney's All-Star Resorts, available most nights from January 1, 2002 - April 30, 2002. The number of rooms available at this rate is limited and minimum length of stay requirements will apply to Friday and Saturday arrivals. Additional charges apply if there are more than two adults per room.

For more information or to make reservations, military personnel may call (407) 939-7424.

Disney Cruise Line --Disney Cruise Line is extending special rates on all of its tropical cruise itineraries, as well as its land/sea packages, for most sailings from January 2002 through May 2002. The number of staterooms available at these special rates is limited.

For more information or to book a Disney Cruise Line vacation, guests can call (888) 325-2500.

How long is this offer available?
This offer will run from January 1, 2002 through April 30, 2002. However, the Disney Cruise Line program will run from January 2002 through May 2002.

Where must the Complimentary 7-Day and Special Offer Tickets be obtained?
The Complimentary 7-Day and Special Offer Tickets can be obtained ONLY at the four Walt Disney World® Theme Park ticket windows. These Tickets may not be obtained at Shades of Green or military base ticket offices.

What credentials are required to obtain the Complimentary 7-Day and Special Offer Tickets?
To obtain the Complimentary 7-Day Tickets, active military personnel must present valid and active U.S. military IDs. Activated members of the National Guard or Reservists also must show active duty orders.

To obtain the Special Offer Tickets, active military personnel (or their spouses, if they are not present) must present valid and active U.S. military IDs. Activated members of the National Guard or Reservists (or their spouses, if they are not present) also must show active duty orders. In addition, active military personnel will need to show their Complimentary 7-Day Tickets.

When may the Complimentary 7-Day and Special Offer Tickets be obtained?
Complimentary 7-Day Tickets may be obtained only during the offer period (January 1, 2002 through April 30, 2002). The active military member may only purchase Special Offer Tickets within seven days after the Complimentary 7-Day Ticket is issued to the active military member. The spouse of the active military member may only purchase Special Offer Tickets one time during the offer period (if the active military member is unable to come to the Walt Disney World® Resort during this period),

When may the Complimentary 7-Day and Special Offer Tickets be used?
All Complimentary 7-Day Tickets and Special Offer Tickets must be used within seven days after they are first issued. All such Tickets will expire at the end of this seven-day period.

What if the active military member is unable to come to the Walt Disney World® Resort to obtain the Special Offer Tickets?
If active members of the U.S. military are unable to come to the Walt Disney World® Resort from January 1, 2002 to April 30, 2002 (for example, if the active member is deployed overseas), their spouses may purchase the Special Offer Tickets one time during the offer period. The spouse may purchase the Special Offer Tickets, at a 50% discount off Disney's regular retail price, for up to five family members and friends (including the spouse).

Can Both the Active Military Member and the Spouse Purchase Special Offer Tickets?
No. The Special Offer Tickets may be purchased only by the active military member or, if the active military member is unable to come to the Walt Disney World® Resort during the offer period, by his or her spouse. The active military member may obtain the Complimentary 7-Day Ticket before the end of the offer period (April 30, 2002) if he or she returns home before that time.

Is there a limit on the number of persons for whom Special Offer Tickets may be purchased?
Yes. Each active U.S. military member may purchase Special Offer Tickets, within seven days after the Complimentary 7-Day Ticket is issued to him or her, for up to five family members and friends. If the active member is unable to come to the Walt Disney World® Resort during the offer period, his or her spouse may purchase Special Offer Tickets for up to five family members and friends (including the spouse).

May military members who are not active, such as Veterans, employees of the Department of Defense, or Reservists or members of the National Guard who have not been activated, participate in this program?
No, non-active members of the military are not eligible. However, these persons are able to take advantage of our ongoing, year-round military discount programs for all military, including military retirees/veterans.

What if military personnel want a refund for tickets they purchased before hearing of this offer?
Refunds will not be issued at the Walt Disney World® Resort for tickets previously purchased at Shades of Green or military base ticket offices.

DISNEYLAND RESORT®

Who is eligible to participate in the Disney's Armed Forces Salute program?
All active U.S. military personnel are eligible. This includes active members of the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marines, Navy and Coast Guard and activated members of the National Guard and Reservists.

What is included in the offer?
Active military personnel may purchase at a 50% discount tickets to the Disneyland Resort Theme Parks for up to five friends and family members. The active military guest accompanying the party will receive the same ticket complimentary. Tickets are valid for admission to Disneyland theme park and Disney's California Adventure theme park. For more information on "Disney's Armed Forces Salute" at Disneyland Resort, military personnel may call (714) 956-6867.

The various Special Offer Tickets are as follows:
1-Day/1-Park Ticket
2-Day Park Hopper Ticket (available Jan 7-Mar 15, 2002 only)
3-Day Park Hopper Ticket
4-Day Park Hopper Ticket

How long is this offer available?
This offer will run from January 1, 2002 through April 30, 2002.

Where must the Special Offer Tickets be obtained?
This pass is ONLY available at Disneyland Resort theme park ticket windows.

What credentials are required to obtain the Special Offer Tickets?
To obtain the complimentary ticket, active military personnel must present valid and active U.S. military IDs. Activated members of the National Guard or Reservists also must show active duty orders. The Special Offer Tickets, active military personnel (or their spouses, if they are not present) must present valid and active U.S. military IDs. Activated members of the National Guard or Reservists (or their spouses, if they are not present) also must show active duty orders.

What if the active military member is unable to come to the Disneyland Resort to obtain the Special Offer Tickets?
If active members of the U.S. military are unable to come to the Disneyland Resort from January 1, 2002 to April 30, 2002 (for example, if the active member is deployed overseas), their spouses may purchase the Special Offer Tickets one time during the offer period. The spouse may purchase the Special Offer Tickets, at a 50% discount off Disney's regular retail price, for up to five family members and friends (including the spouse).

Can Both the Active Military Member and the Spouse Purchase Special Offer Tickets?
No. The Special Offer Tickets may be purchased only by the active military member or, if the active military member is unable to come to the Disneyland Resort during the offer period, by his or her spouse. The active military member may obtain the complimentary ticket before the end of the offer period (April 30, 2002) if he or she returns home before that time.

May military members who are not active, such as Veterans, employees of the Department of Defense, or Reservists or members of the National Guard who have not been activated, participate in this program?
No, non-active members of the military are not eligible. However, these persons are able to take advantage of our ongoing, year-round military discount programs for all military, including military retirees/veterans.

What if military personnel want a refund for tickets they purchased before hearing of this offer?
Refunds will not be issued at the Disneyland Resort for tickets previously purchased at military base ticket offices.

for all of the information. It answered all of my questions!! Pam

Thanks Flounder!
I had seen that release at the ticket place at Andrews AFB and I am glad to have a copy. Again, if there is anyone out there who has an address or phone number to a Disney executive I would love to write to them about the problem in my above post. For Brenda, there is a difference between just having active duty orders and being "activated". The activated guys are the units who have been called up by the President, and then there are the rest of us who still could be called up but are continuing to participate in Enduring Freedom using our unit's allotment of active duty days. Our units have gotten a bunch of extra active duty man days so that we will not have to be activated and we are expected to step up and fill those days (which means we have to do more Enduring Freedom missions) I called the number in the release and they explained that the good deal applies to only "activated" members of the reserves. Anyhow, if anyone has any names or phone numbers I would sure appreciate it.

Very happy for those are eligible for this program. This will also buy Disney some great PR. Some decent discounts for the rest of the general public would be nice. I will never understand why one has to work so hard to find a discount with DIsney. It would seem that full hotels at reduced rates would equal lots of guests spending lots of money on-property.

Wow, Zippitydooda.

You and I are really on the same wavelength! I posted the following post on another board and pretty much got slammed for asking. I absolutely did not mean to take anything away from members of the active duty armed forces. They VERY much deserve every discount and perk they can get. I appreciate what they do and feel for their families. But I also appreciate what my husband does (and you) as members of the National Guard and Reserves, especially now in relation to homeland defense issues. It was great that Sea World also offered their discount to fire, police and medical emergency personnel. They are definitely deserving also. I guess the Budget Board may be a better place to post since I am asking this question for the same reason most people visit this board - to try to save my family some money on a trip to Disney World - not to whine or disrespect anyone.

Here is my post (sounds a lot like yours):

"Just wondering if anyone knows why the Armed Forces discount Disney is offering is only for active duty individuals. I don't really want to complain about it, because heaven knows these people need a break and deserve this discount. My husband is in the National Guard and has not been activated for duty so we are not eligible. I assume they are doing it because 1)in response to 9-11, many military people have been called to extra duty 2)it is patriotic and makes for good PR.

The thing is my husband has had to work extra hours and weekends also, even though he is not activated. Security is heightened everywhere in the military and he has to pull his share of standing guard at the gate or doing extra time at his job (computer jockey) for homeland defense issues. I'm sure there are many other military people not activated who are serving their country here at home just as well and deserve a little perk also.

Does anyone know of an e-mail address or phone number I could contact to express my concerns to Disney? Not like that will change anything, but maybe it could help someone else at a later date."

check out the Disney rumors and news board (on this site)and there is a list of names and numbers to call including the top guy. My DH is active duty and he sees how much EVERYONE, including National Guard, is working together to win this war on terrorism. I wish you both the best of luck on getting a discount. You are more than deserving! Let us know!

Hey Cameo, I backed you up on the Theme parks board and so did others. I think it has been moved to community board now!

Would you guys that are unhappy about who is eligible be happier if Disney just pulled the offer and didn't give anyone a break? Or would you have been happier if it had never been offered at all? Seems to me that Disney is damned if they do, and damned if the don't these days.

Hey AF Brenda,
I think you need to cool your jets! I see you have "fly, fight and win" on your signature and I am wondering if you have done any of the above? If you have, I would think you would understand when those of us who have, and continue to do so, are trying to use this wonderful message board to contact each other to find out if Disney intends for reservists/guard members to partake of this good deal they are providing. If you will go back and read Cameo's post I think it is very obvious she is not complaining, but throwing out a valid question. If you think my earlier post on this subject is in any way negative, you are entitled to your opinion. I would think the other Dis readers can (and should) judge for themselves. Why in the world would you come out with such a caustic post on this board where we are simply trying to help each other?

As for me cooling my jets, I really don't think that is any of your concern, unless I happen to work for you, which I don't.

I use "Fly, fight, and win" as that is the mission of the Air Force, not just the pilots, but the entire Air Force, is it not? As I just answered you on the Community Board, I wasn't at all offended with Cameo's question - it is a valid question. I'm all for anyone getting the discount that can get it. However, to moan and complain (not as much on this thread, as on others), as some have, that if it's not open to everyone, it shouldn't be open to anyone makes very little sense, in my opinion.

I also readily admitted and asked the question about the difference between "activated" and "active duty" orders. As I'm not a reservist, I really didn't know the answer, until you told me. You exhibited a very nice tone in that response, I don't know what happened, but whatever.

If you have, I would think you would understand when those of us who have, and continue to do so, are trying to use this wonderful message board to contact each other to find out if Disney intends for reservists/guard members to partake of this good deal they are providing.

I'm not sure how the two issues, that is flying a jet and posting to a Disney board, are related, perhaps you could explain?

Originally posted by AF Brenda
Would you guys that are unhappy about who is eligible be happier if Disney just pulled the offer and didn't give anyone a break? Or would you have been happier if it had never been offered at all? Seems to me that Disney is damned if they do, and damned if the don't these days.
Brenda,
As I look at this quote, and look at your signature, I would think all the answers to your questions are right here.
1. Cooling your jets--please read your above quote. Then go through this thread. I think your pugilistic response here was really a reaction to a similar thread that is now on the community board. Taken in the spirit of this thread, I personally think your post is combative and challenging, therefore I recommended that you "cool your jets". (This was really a term I thought of when I looked at your signature "fly, fight and win" and jets came to mind) I do not see how your working for me or not has anything to do with what I think. Maybe you can explain this? I think you need to cool your jets. You can think what you want.

2. Yes, "Fly, fight and win" is a motto for the Air Force mission. The Air Force has many missions. I was being inclusive when I asked if you had done any of the above. You do not have to fly an airplane to have accomplished the motto. When I think of Fly,fight and win I think of a team that works together. I asked if you had done any of the above to find out why, in keeping with the spirit of THIS thread, you would write a caustic post that insults your military "teamates" of the guard/reserve that are confused about the offer and are wondering how to best approach Disney to resolve the issue.

3. My "nice tone" to your post about the active vs. activated reservist question was in response to your "nicely worded" answer to my question. I really appreciated the answer you gave. What happened was your tone in the above quote was not very nice. I NOW know things got pretty heated on the community board prior to this but when your above post showed up it stuck out like a sawed off shot gun burst in church. That is why I think you needed to cool your jets.

4. Flying a jet and posting to a Disney board are not related. I think I answered this above in paragraph 3.

Believe me, I did not come to the Dis boards to make enemies. I am just trying to use the boards to get and receive tips on all things Disney. I understand issues like this can get heated and get stretched out of kilter. I hope there are no hard feelings.

I apologize for the tone of the previous post. I agree that the offer is confusing, and I am all for people trying to get their questions answered. But there is a real tone (not on this thread as much as on some others) that the active duty don't deserve the offer either, and if it can't be for everyone, it shouldn't be for anyone. My frustration stems more from that thread than from this one.

I'm always very happy for anyone that can find a good discount, whatever the reason, whether I'm eligible or not. It is just hard for me to understand people that feel differently.

I would be much happier about the offer if it had been around back at Thanksgiving when our family of six went!LOL Woulda saved me HUNDREDS!!!!! Oh well, trying to devise another plan. Anyone willing to take on 4 kids (8-3) so me and hubby can go it alone? Pretty pleeeeeease!!!

same here. just got back from a Thanksgiving trip. But will go in Feb because of the great deal. Maybe we can hire a nanny and get her to watch all of the kids!!! my kids would disown me!!!

I would like to interject a reminder that this thread was to INFORM and not to DEBATE. Please remember to follow the DIS Board Posting Guidelines and do not attack fellow posters. And please allow this thread to be used for INFORMATIONAL purposes only. If you would like to debate whether Reservists SHOULD or should NOT be eligible for these benefits, we can start a thread on the Debate Board.
But, unfortunately, there often is no ryhme or reason to the decisions that Disney makes. :(
Again, I ask you to please "play nice."
Thank you!

I just got back also!!!! Can we get rebates?? LOL!!! I wish. I am definitely puzzled and offended by the "deal". As a reservist that has been getting activated for 10-18 days at a time every 2-3 months since last summer, I think we should be included. I'd RATHER be activated than to have to disrupt my family and job every few months. I've always, as part of special forces, been told it was "one Army". 97% of my specialty is done by reservists rather than active army. I guess Disney doesn't understand that. I feel much more loyalty to Anhsier (sp) Busch, they have come through for the MILITARY back in 91 for Desert Storm. Although all military (active duty and reserists) did not go over there, we were still supporting the mission back here. Again, I'm just insulted. But meanwhile, back at the farm.....we DID have a great time while in Disney and the wether was GREAT!!!! I'll go back if we get this "deal" but otherwise it won't be for a long while. :( Sigh......, Debbie =:>)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter