Disney Hotel Prices are Out of Control!

Again, find me someone that pays Rack Rate at Disney. I dare say they do not.
I don't go to the places you have mentioned so no clue what or how they compare. Price you've quoted here seems about the same to me. Not cheaper
I'm only comparing to what I paid on a drive across country last week. Or what we pay when we stay overnight in Knoxville or Nashville. Any of those are within the same exact range as Disney and most, have way fewer services. The only exception was the Resort in Scottsdale. DH mentioned when we walked in that it was just like going to a Disney resort. Even had a scented lobby, views, etc. That was the only room that equaled Disney's resort services and was less expensive based purely on the promo I booked with. Their rack rate was much higher.

As other have said over and over again, don't like the prices. Easy. Don't stay there. What is the big deal? Some are ok with them, some aren't. Neither side is right or wrong (or brainwashed)

Not saying one is right and the other is wrong. As for most not paying rack rate, I wouldn't agree with that. There aren't AAA rates any more. The majority of people staying at WDW are not passholders. I would be willing to bet most people go to the website and book whatever hotel they want. Probably nobody on this board, but this board represents maybe 3% of the people going to Disney.

What I'm not agreeing with is your assesment that the premium Disney Deluxe resorts go for $299 per night. Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Yacht and Beach. I don't see it. Here are the rack rates for 2019, for a standard room during value season at the following resorts:

Grand Floridian - $646
Polynesian - $508
Yacht Club - $421

For the GF to be priced at $299 per night, Disney would be discounting the room by more than 50%. For the Poly to be there, there would have to be a 40% discount. And again, these are 2019 low season rates. The highest current offer on Disney's website is a 20% discount. I believe in the past (many years ago) I saw discounts as high as 30-35%, but sorry, never 50%.

I’m staying at YC with a 35% off rack rate AP deal later this month ($283 per night pre tax). Pretty good deal for my personal view of resort prices. And for us, YC delivers a good value at that price for the way we travel / like to experience WDW. Granted it’s YC (among the cheaper of the Deluxes), a standard view room category (cheapest at that resort), and not every resort has the 35% off AP rate at the moment, but still.

That’s the great thing about Orlando - lots of options at almost any price point to fit all budgets and travel styles.

Again, find me someone that pays Rack Rate at Disney. I dare say they do not.
I think that's short-sighted to assume people all over the place book on some sort of discount.

The going advice on the Boards seems to be book with what you're comfortable spending; don't count on a discount to make a place that you were not comfortable spending suddenly comfortable. That may mean some people wait til discounts are released and that may mean people book at rack rate hoping a discount may come out but accepting it if it doesn't.

You may never book rack rate because you're always flexible or always willing to hunt for a discount (be it on Disney's website or a 3rd party). There are people out there that simply book and call it good. Sometimes they are booking when a discount is out and sometimes they are not. Either way there are people who book rack rate. Heck my in-laws hate booking online, they would much rather call--if they call when no discount is available they would simply accept the rate as it were. My mom too.

Never paid rack rate never will, The is ALWAYS codes and discounts to get. We have always gotten at least 20% off value rates and sometimes 25%. I can't think anyone would pay rack rate...too easy not to.
I have no issues with Disney report prices...We love WDW or DLR Thats what overtime its for..lol But really, I think the prices are in line with the product you get...sue me.
If Folks don't like Disney prices...go somewhere else. It's life. Id love a Porsche. But, cant afford one...so I'll stick with my Honda. Its not Porsche responsibility to make one affordable to me. I find it kinda silly people complaining about it. We love Disney parks. We'll pay and not complain. If I ever can't afford it..thats life.

Never paid rack rate never will, The ie ALWAYS codes and discounts to get. We have always gotten at least 20% off value rates and sometimes 25%. I can't think anyone would pay rack rate...too easy not to.
I have no issues with Disney report prices...We love WDW or DLR Thats what overtime its for..lol But really, I think the prices are in line with the product you get...sue me.
No one is disputing that you or anyone else will personally opt to not book rack rates. That is entirely different than making the assertation that everyone books on discounts.

No one is disputing that you or anyone else will personally opt to not book rack rates. That is entirely different than making the assertation that everyone books on discounts.
Who wouldn't book using a discount?...thats like paying sticker for a car - No one is that..well...financially inept. I mean its too easy to get rooms and packages ..WAY under rack rate.

Who wouldn't book using a discount...thats like paying sticker for a car? No one is that..well...financially inept.
Umm did you not see my earlier comment about my in-laws or my mom. Also I don't think it's nice to call people financially inept. There are reasons why people do what they do. I know a WDW AP holder who purchased tickets for DLR at full price from Disney even though we opted to purchase through Undercover Tourist because they liked the convenience of having MP added automatically for all days instead of having to add it each day. I wouldn't call him financially inept..

Why would anyone purchase tickets through Disney? There's ALWAYS (to use your emphasis) a better deal elsewhere (ok not on 1-day but you get my point).

There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that out of the 50million+ visitors to WDW each year that there are people out there willing to pay full price for things-be it merchandise, be it hotel prices, be it ticket prices, be it hard ticket events, be it dessert parties, etc. That statement is different than saying "I'm not willing to book at full price" which is what you're saying.

You'd be surprised.
Umm did you not see my earlier comment about my in-laws or my mom.

Why would anyone purchase tickets through Disney? There's ALWAYS (to use your emphasis) a better deal elsewhere (ok not on 1-day but you get my point).

There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that out of the 50million+ visitors to WDW each year that there are people out there willing to pay full price for things-be it merchandise, be it hotel prices, be it ticket prices, be it hard ticket events, be it dessert parties. That statement is different than saying "I'm not willing to book at full price" which is what you're saying.
Either way, It doesn't make sense. In this day of social media...and discounts literally everywhere. If someone is paying rack rates..and then complains about Disney prices? Then those are folks that just like to complain. This whole thread started about resort prices being out of control...well, dont go i say to that. Or use the discounts that are out there.
But paying rack rate...thats just sillyness. I mean who pays sticker price for a car? Disney is no different.

Either way, It doesn't make sense. In this day of social media...and discounts literally everywhere. If someone is paying rack rates..and then complains about Disney prices? Then those are folks that just like to complain. This whole thread started about resort prices being out of control...well, dont go i say to that. Or use the discounts that are out there.
But paying rack rate...thats just sillyness. I mean who pays sticker price for a car? Disney is no different.

My co-worker was booked at rack rate until I sent him to my TA.

In the end though...if people think WDW or DL are too $$$ then save the complaining and just dont go....I mean its not up to Disney to make it affordable. Its up to us to work and save or choose another vacation.

You can respond without being insulting you know :)

First it's financially inept, then it's assuming that someone books rack rate only to complain afterwards, then it's just sillyness.

My husband and I are more willing to get deals. We recognize that others are. That should be pretty easy to understand :)

And in terms of the discussion regarding rack rate I think it's important to view it as rack rate determines your end rate. If the rack rate was $250 and you got 20% off of that it's better than the rack rate being $500 and you got 20% off of that. You might get more dollars off the higher the rate with the same percentage but your end rate would still be higher. And at least one portion of the discussion people have been discussing how quickly the rack rates have been increasing over the years.

You can respond without being insulting you know :)

First it's financially inept, then it's assuming that someone books rack rate only to complain afterwards, then it's just sillyness.

My husband and I are more willing to get deals. We recognize that others are. That should be pretty easy to understand :)

And in terms of the discussion regarding rack rate I think it's important to view it as rack rate determines your end rate. If the rack rate was $250 and you got 20% off of that it's better than the rack rate being $500 and you got 20% off of that. You might get more dollars off the higher the rate with the same percentage but your end rate would still be higher. And at least one portion of the discussion people have been discussing how quickly the rack rates have been increasing over the years.
Ok, We all have different opinions...Everyone gets insulted theses days about something....This and that. Wish you well..
Paying rack rate...is silly. Period.

Ok, We all have different opinions...Everyone gets insulted theses days about something....This and that. Wish you well..
Paying rack rate...is silly. Period.
I'm not insulted. I said you were being insulting. No not everyone gets insulted these days..that's just too easy of a way to end a discussion :) Happy to agree to disagree and move on ::yes::

I will not pay full price for ANYTHING, so I had to step in. :rotfl2:
No one should have to pay rack rate for any resort anywhere. Just no reason these days to have to. Codes and discounts everywhere. We just went to L.A. Did a couple days at DL. A couple at El Porto beach...Rooms discounted in El Segundo and DL tickets discounted at about 100 different places. Online and brick and mortar.

I’m staying at YC with a 35% off rack rate AP deal later this month ($283 per night pre tax). Pretty good deal for my personal view of resort prices. And for us, YC delivers a good value at that price for the way we travel / like to experience WDW. Granted it’s YC (among the cheaper of the Deluxes), a standard view room category (cheapest at that resort), and not every resort has the 35% off AP rate at the moment, but still.

That’s the great thing about Orlando - lots of options at almost any price point to fit all budgets and travel styles.
Exactly.

Sorry if I missed it, but do Expedia and Orbitz etc still book WDW rooms?

My friends are looking in Feb and I'm not seeing any WDW rooms on there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter