• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney in Texas

I find it unlikely that Disney would build on a location that only had 6,400 acres available. Anything is possible, but I would be skeptical to say the least.

DisneyQuest Chicago might indicate otherwise. It is not unreasonable that they should ever do something on a smaller scale. Unusual though.

DisneyQuest Chicago might indicate otherwise. It is not unreasonable that they should ever do something on a smaller scale. Unusual though.

Agreed. It was just an opinion based on what they have been up to lately. With all of the expansion overseas I just think Disney would be unlikely to start a major project with limited space. It is always possible and if they thought it would be profitable, I'm sure they would kick the tires. Not arguing or saying it's not true at all, just skeptical.

Remember DisneyQuest Chicago is not an "amusement park". It is an indoor attraction similar to that at Downtown Disney. If you told me that is what they were thinking, I agree it is more likely. The article states an amusement park where most of the foliage will remain. Maybe that is a clue that it would be similar to the Chicago project. I just don't see them building a big park on such a small space.

I definitely do not think that if they were to launch a project here that it would reflect DisneyQuest in any way - just using it as an example of Disney using their brand to introduce new experiences in more places with a smaller form factor. It could be just as simple as a naturalistic resort with Woody's gang and "ranch" style activities.

I'm less worried that they couldn't pull something off with limited space and more unsure that any such project would have it's first rumblings in a blog of this kind.

That's awfully small. The article also erroneously started that Disney's last major US endeavor was in 1971. That's when MK opened, but Disney has, of course, opened 3 more theme park gates, 2 water parks & an indoor interactive arcade in the ensuing years. The last FL gate to open is now 15 years old. DCA is 12? It IS time for Disney to do *something* in the US. (Although some might argue that Carsland & "new" Fantasyland count as Disney's *something*.)

I find it unlikely that Disney would build on a location that only had 6,400 acres available. Anything is possible, but I would be skeptical to say the least.

I for one think that Disney should put more money into one of the 2 existing theme park resorts in the USA, not a brand new one. The capital money involved in a new project is higher than adding on existing ones since the infrastructure is already there. But I just wanted to point out that 6400 acres isn't that small, it's about 10 square miles.

http://corporate.disney.go.com/news...ks and Resorts Fact Sheet UPDATED 5-18-09.pdf

DLP covers 4800 acres
DLR covers 510 acres

If Disney is to do something with 6400 acres, it won't be the size/plan of WDW, but it would be larger than the others.

Not buying it, strictly because of the source alone. Would Texas be a good spot for a park? Weather wise yes. Perhaps research shows Texans don't like to leave their state.

As far as space, 6,400 acres is plenty of space. You could put all their parks in the spot. DAK is only 500 acres.

I think stories like this - eg "Disney is getting ready to build something" make the rounds every so often. I think part of that is tied to the way Disney built WDW, or at least bought up the Orlando area property through a maze of shell companies until a reporter started paying attention. You'd love to be the next outlet that caught Disney doing anything remotely similar.

That said, I remember stories rumbling when I was a kid that Disney wanted to build in the midwest, and was looking "seriously" at property in southern Oklahoma due to its close proximity to both I-40 and I-35, but it was just legend. Not saying this is necessarily the same thing, but color me skeptical.

You will never see another domestic park outside of DL or WDW. There is just no reason for it.

Disney would never do a deal with anyone who releases info before Disney does. Remember the land for WDW was bought by fake Disney companies. Only when Disney was ready did they let the word out and they held a big press event with Government honchos on the stage.

:earsboy: Bill

That website seems awfully sketchy to me..

But, could someone fill me in on DisneyQuest Chicago? I haven't heard of that project before.

Thanks!

Texas is close to Florida in relation to the rest of the US. I've always thought if they built another Disney it'd be up north to reach that demographic a little easier. But then again, I would be shocked if Disney built another park in the US at all.

Texas is close to Florida in relation to the rest of the US. I've always thought if they built another Disney it'd be up north to reach that demographic a little easier. But then again, I would be shocked if Disney built another park in the US at all.

Not that I think it will really happen, but I would love some kind of Disney anything in Texas. Its a 16 hr drive from where we live in Texas to WDW and it would take about 23 hrs to drive to DLC, and flying is sooo expensive. Anything that could be built within driving range for us to do other that Six Flags (ugh) would be awesome. But not holding my breath :(

The north is not really an option because Disney operates 365. Most theme parks in the north have to close several months out of the year due to snow and freezing temperatures. There is just no way around it. Yes hurricanes are an issue in south Texas but there have only been one or two hurricanes that really hurt the area and it would only mean 1 day of shut down the same thing they do in Orlando since they would be maintaining their own power and such.

Now I know this region of the south pretty well as I went to Jr. High and High school close to this area. I lived in Montgomery County which is right to the North East of Waller County. I use to drive on the street they mentioned all the time.
However, I've never even heard of three mile creek. That could be a local name fore something I'll ask my friends who live closer to this part of 1488 to see if they know what it is.

The other issue is I don't know what area of 1488 in Waller county has 10 square miles that doesn't have roads running through it. Just look at the google maps for the area. The only part that doesn't is the state park and I don't imagine the state of Texas giving that up. There is also some land by the Texas Renaissance festival grounds but there are a lot of little roads around there that could cause issues.

On the other hand this area of TX still has a lot of undeveloped areas and farm land so besides the roads that dissect things up Disney has the potential to grow. It has has two major highways very close (I-45 and I-59) that would make it an easy travel for those coming from the middle America states.

Final though on this. It is not the first time Disney has supposedly been looking for land in Texas. I remember when I was younger there was a large plot of land south of Houston that Disney, Nascar and some other big companies were looking at. I believe at the end of the day Nascar bought a chunk and then the city of Houston annexed the rest and now there are a bunch of commuter type communities in that area.

The "Disney in Texas" rumor has been around for so many years, I think it qualifies for urban legend status.

Disney does business in all sorts of sectors, not just theme parks and travel, and they buy land for many reasons other than to build theme parks. Sometimes they buy just for investment purposes.

Not buying it, strictly because of the source alone. Would Texas be a good spot for a park? Weather wise yes. Perhaps research shows Texans don't like to leave their state.

There would be over 15 million Texans w/i a 4-5 hour drive of that location and that location would be ~90minutes from Galveston for Disney cruises. Texas is headed for a California sized population due to economic migration and there is no major amusement park in Houston presently. For the year ending July 1, 2012 eight of the 15 fastest-growing large U.S. cities were in Texas. No other state had more than one city on the list.

Of all the rumored places for Disney the Houston area has a lot going for it; huge population w/i half a day's drive, nearly same weather as Orlando(100 miles south would be better weather but there would be huge water issues and no airports), cruise ship port w/i 90 minutes, 2 airports w/i an hour's drive, plentiful water, very popular with Latin American travelers, and about as close to midway between DL and WDW as possible with the year round weather and water needed.

The Disney in Texas rumors have been flying since at least '80. With how cheap Disney has been with WDW, of late, IMO it would take a major energy crisis making LA or Orlando travel cost prohibitive for mid-America for Disney to open a mid-America location. Or the Texas population w/i 4-6 hours drive would need to swell to where it alone could support a park a la southern California and DL.

That website seems awfully sketchy to me..

But, could someone fill me in on DisneyQuest Chicago? I haven't heard of that project before.

Thanks!

Chicago was their first and only remote DisneyQuest location with the intent upon building a DQ location in most major cities. It didn't take off, probably because the hours of operation didn't make sense. This is the one I've been to. The folks at WDW always comment on my Chicago shirt or my DQ hat.

It was cool, but again, it closed at 7PM on weekdays. I always thought that if they had a liquor license and did the late night thing it would still be open today.

I actually live very close to this area!! There have been rumors lately of a theme park/convention center type of development in that are for a while now. Although this is the first I have heard of it being Disney. This piece of land, though small compared to WDW is surrounded by nothing. There would be plenty more land to buy. Waller,Texas is to Houston as Kissimmee was to Orlando many years ago. It is very convenient to Houston, the fourth largest city in the US. But right now it is mostly farmland and ranches. I guess we will have to wait and see. I will keep y'all updated if I hear anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter