• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney in Texas

Actually Disneyland resort is a regional draw. I think a regional draw type place is all anyone thinks would ever be done if anything done as a third location. There will not be WDW duplicated anywhere in the world actually. Europe's (paris resort)is the only place they actually have space to have a multi park resort but would be crowded together unlike in Florida.

They are probably a decade or two away from the demographics and economic to make good sense to seriously plan a third US location with a regional resort. I do think the Texas population triangle makes the most sense geographically, demographically and climate wise. More specifically, the 35 corridor from DFW to San Antonio is becoming the 5 corridor in southern Cal.

Somewhat off topic, but I take exception to what has become a constant theme of calling Disneyland a "regional" park that caters primarily to "locals". It seems to be a condescending attitude. I'm no sure if people intend to put Walt's original park down or not.

Having been to both resorts many times, I am quite aware of the vast difference in the two destinations. Size alone doesn't make Disneyland a so-called "regional park". One could argue that WDW is in a class all by itself. There are no other destinations of its kind in the U.S. But then you have to look at true regional theme parks. Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks are the first that come to mind. In the case of SoCal, Disneyland is the destination. All of the other parks cater to locals.

Attendance comparisons alone between the SoCal tourist attractions proves that Disneyland is MUCH more than a locals park. What is most obvious to me is if it wasn't for the Disney parks on both coasts, Anaheim wouldn't have its "resort" area, and Orlando would still be a swamp.

In my opinion, putting another Disney park or resort anywhere in North America is unlikely.

If you went Disneyland-sized, you wouldn't get the long-distance draw. The park would mostly benefit locals only, and beyond a curiosity bump by Disney park fans wouldn't get much beyond that. A limited number of things to do with the travel expense and limited vacation time just wouldn't make it worthwhile.

If they went big - another WDW-type - all they'd likely do is cannibalize the tourists from WDW. They'd perhaps get more locals who otherwise wouldn't have gone to WDW, but as a resort destination people would choose between WDW and the new resort...and then it might depend on how big it is - would you start with just two parks? Would that occupy a family's entire vacation? Or would they still choose WDW for more choices? Can you build an even bigger resort to start at huge expense? How soon could you start seeing returns on it?

They've still got room in Florida. They'd likely have to exhaust that long before they'd consider another location in North America.

:maleficen good point but it really dont half to be disney world as Six flags and the Warner Bros have 19 theme parks see disney could possibly build a star wars theme in texas like they are at disneyland in california as a 3rd in another location/state and sure the warner bros been out since the early 1900's but it new things need to come aswell for universal studios aka NBC should build another theme park in texas due to facts they do own alot of business in texas same with disney and there acres they still own Land that was never developed nor constructed same with miniature Disney stores in texas malls

2j451tz.jpg
[/IMG] :scared1:

We've heard the "Disney in TX" rumors for years. If it ever came to pass my DH would quit his job to sell hot dogs or sweep the ground so fast my head would spin....LOL! We do have a lot of space here but like a PP I would have to wonder about characters when it's sooooo hot here in the summer. Although... most WDW M&G areas are indoors nowdays...Hmmmm.... a gal can dream!:cloud9:

No offense, but isn't Montgomery 'historic' because they were on the wrong side of history? 1st Capital of the Confederacy... bus boycott...Tuskegee...church bombing....march from Selma...Freedom Riders...'Bloody Sunday'....
Not trying to be political, but feel like some of those events might not be 'magical.' Now Destin? That would be a great place for a park :)

I am so sorry to say this but read your history book. You are so far off you do not deserve a response. :(

If they did build a park in Texas, I wonder how they'd handle the characters when the temps hit 100° for several days in a row. Or when it hits 105-110°.

Ever noticed that most of the meet n greets at WDW are under shade structures and the characters are usually on stage for 50 mins at a time or less? Plus I bet they now use the gel vests that you refrigerate. Also, Houston rarely gets to those temps, you mention, from being so close to the Gulf.

Funny thing is I've backed off Houston as an ideal location due to not having as regular of summertime afternoon tropical showers as Orlando does to cool things back off.

Gambling being approved in Texas at this time is a pipe dream. The Tea Party Right would have every politician that voted for it, not from the Democrat heavy major metropolitan areas, out the next election.

Couldn't all of the character meet and greets be inside? They could even bring back the bubbles in the parade (what parade was that?) to keep the characters cooler.

I don't agree that Universal Orlando is regional nowadays. It might have been at one time but no longer.

If I were one of the main forum users, I would be so tempted come next April 1 to make a thread saying that a new Texas park is confirmed, and it will be the Dark Kingdom originally planned for WDW. I'd have a fake article quoted and everything.

-----

Ever noticed that most of the meet n greets at WDW are under shade structures and the characters are usually on stage for 50 mins at a time or less? Plus I bet they now use the gel vests that you refrigerate. Also, Houston rarely gets to those temps, you mention, from being so close to the Gulf.

If I recall correctly, this thread had migrated to mentioning Dallas, San Antonio, and any point in or near the 10/35/45 triangle, not just Houston. But yeah, you are correct, I was using some temperature extremes, yet plausible ones. To be honest, it usually won't quite hit 105° in Dallas. Maybe a few days per year it gets there. Still, 100° for a week or longer in summer is quite common. Meanwhile, the heat index frequently gets above 105° during the dog days of summer up in North Texas.

For the record, even though I had this area in mind when I made that post, Houston and San Antonio make a lot more sense for locations.

I would hope that you are correct about cooling suits, and would expect them to use them myself, but from what I've read in the past (grain of salt), they either don't or what they use is minimally effective. If someone comes along and says that they absolutely do use them, I won't debate the point. I simply don't know whether they are used.

By the way, temperature is measured in the shade, so when there is a meet and greet in the shade and it's 100° outside, it's 100° where they are standing, and not a degree cooler.

Couldn't all of the character meet and greets be inside? They could even bring back the bubbles in the parade (what parade was that?) to keep the characters cooler.

Obviously, if they built a park in Texas, most characters would have to move inside on certain days, especially in the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter