Disney Movies A-Z June Exercise Challenge

I had no idea Gnomeo and Juliet was a Disney film. We have it and LOVE it! We're big Shakespeare fans around here. The score is mostly classic Elton John songs which we also love. I'll have to add it to our all-night-Disney-movie-marathon line up for ADR eve.

According to Wikipedia, it was "[f]inanced by Disney and released through its Touchstone Pictures banner," but "was independently produced by Rocket Pictures and animated by Starz Animation." Since I'm trying to go beyond the well-known Disney films, I'm counting anything released by Touchstone or Hollywood Pictures or distributed by Buena Vista among the movies eligible for mentioning here. Now you've gotten me more interested in looking for Gnomeo and Juliet!

Congratulations to scdak and to the team as a whole for turning Exciting Orange!

In honor of Throwback Thursday, I'm rewinding to "B" and highlighting a Pixar short called Boundin' (2003), which was shown in theaters before The Incredibles. It was written, directed and narrated by Pixar animator Bud Luckey, who also composed and performed the music. You can find Boundin', as well as some extras related to it, on the 2005 collector's edition DVD of The Incredibles. Or check it out on YouTube (it's there, though links are disabled).

PollyannaMom and I (sophy1996) have both turned Exciting Orange!

We're on to "H" movies. Fans of the All-Star Movies Resort might think of various Herbie movies (Herbie Rides Again (1974), Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1977), Herbie Goes Bananas (1980), and Herbie: Fully Loaded (2005)), plus there is Hercules (1997) and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989).

Something I've heard about but have never seen is Howl's Moving Castle (2004), an animated fantasy film from Studio Ghibli (Disney distributed certain Studio Ghibli films in the United States). An anti-war movie rooted in its writer/director Hayao Miyazaki's opposition to the invasion of Iraq in 2003, Howl's Moving Castle was one of the most financially successful Japanese films in history. It seems popular as inspiration for cosplay enthusiasts.

Finally, here's a weekend distraction:

Can you guess a movie title based on a single letter? If you know your fonts, click here to take the quiz (goes to ohmy.disney.com).

Congratulations to Tasha228 for achieving Exciting Orange!

I discovered that Michelle Tractenberg has been in not one, but two Disney-related "I" movies, Inspector Gadget (1999) and Ice Princess (2005). An interesting thing about Ice Princess is that Zahri Lari, a girl in the United Arab Emirates then age 11, saw it, was inspired to learn ice skating, and is now hoping to be the UAE's first athlete at the Winter Olympics in 2018. She is the first figure skater from the UAE to compete internationally and the first skater to compete in a hijab.

And an "I" movie that I never heard of is In Search of the Castaways (1962), starring Hayley Mills and Maurice Chevalier. Based on a Jules Verne novel called Captain Grant's Children, it's about an expedition to rescue a shipwrecked sea captain, organized by his children. The movie includes several musical numbers by the Sherman brothers. It was among the highest grossing movies of 1962 (ahead of many well-known films of that year, including The Music Man, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Manchurian Candidate, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, and The Miracle Worker).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter