Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

Moana 2 hits theaters on November 27, 2024
Scott Gustin Twitter

This is a reworking of the previously-announced Disney+ series to now be released as a theatrical film. The live-action film is still set for 2025.
1707341524166.png

"After receiving an unexpected call from her wayfinding ancestors, Moana must journey to the far seas of Oceania and into dangerous, long-lost waters for an adventure unlike anything she’s ever faced."

Iger about Moana 2: "We're turning what was a Moana TV series into a Moana feature - a theatrical release."

It appears that TWDC is changing course of having IP streaming shows as a priority (for lack of a better term) for D+ programming, because Moana, Armor Wars and Mando are all now being switched from D+ streaming shows to theatrical movie releases. Plus, I don't like the release date because I am of the opinion that Wicked: Part 1 is going to perform huge box office numbers (like it may be the biggest box office of the year).

I thought I recall hearing that the demise of ME began with the baggage handling company (Bags Inc?) that suspended it's service after COVID for some time. When ME did operate post-covid, bag service was not included. While I'd argue that ME "light" is better than no ME, it was a shell of the "magic" it once was.
There was a poster on here a few years ago talking about this. They worked for one of the software companies that was behind the scenes of the whole process. They talked about how many different companies were actually involved as the software had to communicate with Disney, TSA, MCO, multiple airlines etc. They explained it better than I am, but it was pretty eye opening what was actually involved to make that process work. According to this person quite of few of those companies went out of business during the pandemic, and in their opinion it wasn't worth the $$ and effort on Disney's part to rebuild everything. ME was no longer keeping folks in the bubble anymore as it's so easy to just grab an Uber or Lyft if you want to head offsite for dinner or to visit another theme park.

I wish I could recall what thread that was in as it was a really interesting peek behind the curtain.

Last edited:
I loved Moana, but I have concerns.

Starting to feel like the late 90s, early 2000s sequel-itis.
This!
2024 is pretty much Pixar sequel, feature animation sequel, live action remake prequel, marvel/fox sequel

Then again 2019 which was a crazy strong box office was 3 live action remakes, live action remake sequel, Pixar sequel, feature animation sequel
Plus Marvel with captain marvel, endgame, far from home & Rise of Skywalker)

It’s interesting that Moana 2 is the second Disney + series to be recut into a feature film… at least with mandalorian & Grogu (aka season 4) it wasn’t in production yet… I’m worried about the quality of Moana 2 because it probably wasn’t animated by feature animation when it was being produced as a series and idk if Lin or the original voice cast were involved

There was a poster on here a few years ago talking about this. They worked for one of the software companies that was behind the scenes of the whole process. They talked about how many different companies were actually involved as the software had to communicate with Disney, TSA, MCO, multiple airlines etc. They explained it better than I am, but it was pretty eye opening what was actually involved to make that process work. According to this person quite of few of those companies went out of business during the pandemic, and in their opinion it wasn't worth the $$ and effort on Disney's part to rebuild everything. ME was no longer keeping folks in the bubble anymore as it's so easy to just grab and Uber or Lyft if you want to head offsite for dinner or to visit another theme park.

I wish I could recall what thread that was in as it was a really interesting peak behind the curtain.
I've heard similar chatter, that there were a lot of moving parts involved in this.

It appears that TWDC is changing course of having IP streaming shows as a priority (for lack of a better term) for D+ programming, because Moana, Armor Wars and Mando are all now being switched from D+ streaming shows to theatrical movie releases. Plus, I don't like the release date because I am of the opinion that Wicked: Part 1 is going to perform huge box office numbers (like it may be the biggest box office of the year).
between moana 2 vs Wicked part 1 and Mufasa vs Sonic 3 it will be interesting

I will take whatever Moana 2 ends up being over watching Wish ever again.
Same tbh. Even some of the direct to DVD stuff is more entertaining than Wish (entertaining doesn't mean good. Just means it wasn't an absolute chore to get through.)

So many thoughts! Would I rather see original content? Absolutely. I loved Encanto, liked Strange World, and I liked Wish, self-referential tribute and all. But of those, only Encanto was a huge hit, Iger clearly needs to show that the studio can still make money, and Moana is for sure going to make money--it's been the #1 streamed movie on any streaming service for many years (with a brief pause the year after Encanto came out).

Moana is in my opinion one of the best Disney Animated movies ever. Which makes me overjoyed that it's getting a sequel... but a little scared at the same time of whether the turning-a-tv-show-into-a-movie thing will work well. I'll just hope that they'll do a good job with it.

Yes, but they could have then implemented their own service without Mears.

Honestly, what I miss the most is airport check in at the resort in advance of leaving for home. It was a huge time saver, now I have to wait in two often REALLY long lines at MCO, where before I only had to wait in one.
The only thing that I will say about this is that the baggage check needed to be coordinated with the ME. Once that goes away the other can’t exist

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter