Disney on school breaks

We went in January and were there for Marathon weekend and the MLK holiday weekend and the Marathon weekend was actually pretty quiet, MLK weekend had insane crowds. I would avoid MLK/President's Day weekends if you can. We pulled our son out of 1st grade for a week for the trip. I couldn't find any hard rules for the school or county about how many days of school are "allowed" to be missed, so I emailed his teacher about it about a month ahead of time and she passed it along to the main office and it was no big deal.

His teacher sent a travel journal for him to work on while we were away, but he didn't seem behind when he went back. I am sure when my kids are older I will be more reluctant to pull them out of school for that length of time, but for the younger elementary years, it's not like they're missing SAT prep or anything.

A couple thoughts...

First, study your school calendar to see if you can find an unusual time that might work. When we lived in NH, we didn't have President's Day week off--everyone else did. We had the following week. The theory was, that way, NH could ski NH, without the tourists. Naturally, we went to WDW! Look at right before school starts, or right after it ends--If you start late, that might be a good time, or if you end early.

When we lived in NY, we pulled the kids out for a week in Jan., no problem. But then one year, my oldest got sick, and missed a week of school due to illness. That year, we got a letter saying she'd missed 10 days, and if she missed another 10, she'd be truant. NBD in the scheme of things, and she didn't miss any days beyond that, but we did get dinged. Nothing happened beyond the letter, though.

Once our kids hit middle school, we found that they didn't want to miss several days of school for a vacation--they didn't want to feel behind or have to do a ton of make-up work. My kids may be weirdos in this respect, but there you have it. Also, you'll find as kids get older, it's not even just school--sports become more invasive, more practice days, more meets/games, and coaches get punitive if you miss practices (i.e., can't play in Friday's game if you missed 3 of 5 practices beforehand). So, you do reach a point where vacations get trickier and trickier to schedule. Don't even get me started on having one in college!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter