Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is so sad that CA politics are going to cause these people to be out of work.
I went back to the office in May, for a giant fortune 100 company... our plants never shut down (including our CA locations!). Our offices have been fine. We even traveled for work. It is possible to navigate thru this time. The CA Governor should be ashamed. /end rant.

Did you forget about the Disneyland workers union requested to delay the park's opening in July?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/disneyland-reopen-california-july-workers-say-too-soon/
Glad to hear that your office has been fine. Obviously other people have not been fine. Meanwhile, it's a free-for-all in Florida. I believe Disney is trying its best to keep people safe, and it's unfortunate that others prefer to put money over lives. I guess it's easy to do when it's someone else's life.

There's a world of monetary difference to those layoffed between 90 days of severance vs. 90 days of job placement services.

True...90 days is consistent in the stories as is the generic word "benefits" - that site, I think, was spelling out just one benefit...but I'm sure Disney probably has a corporate severance policy they are using to inform what the benefits are...

https://corporate.findlaw.com/contr...ey-severance-pay-plan-the-walt-disney-co.html Here is a supposed Disney policy...

It is so sad that CA politics are going to cause these people to be out of work.
I went back to the office in May, for a giant fortune 100 company... our plants never shut down (including our CA locations!). Our offices have been fine. We even traveled for work. It is possible to navigate thru this time. The CA Governor should be ashamed. /end rant.
I really don’t think this is just Disneyland. I would guess that the ones who were let go cover many areas of the business and not just Disneyland. I think that dig was just to make it look that way.

Disney just released a statement laying off 28,000 cast members due to COVID and CA not willing to reopen Disneyland. How will that affect WDW with cast members being laid off while increasing capacity at the same time?
It's so messed up.. one state opens everything and the other nothing. I feel really bad for Californians pocketbooks.

A few places, most mention 90 days, although no one gets specific of what that is (and what it totally includes), but this one says "job placement services" included in the 90 days...no one says anything lasts more than 90 days...

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/disney-to-lay-off-28-000-u-s-resort-workers-amid-deep-slump-1.1501191

I found this at https://www.scribd.com/document/478036967/Additional-Information-Cast-Resources-092920

I would be curious as to how many castmembers will actually be eligible for these benefits - especially the Disney Severance Pay Plan. I am guessing most are excluded.

True...90 days is consistent in the stories as is the generic word "benefits" - that site, I think, was spelling out just one benefit...but I'm sure Disney probably has a corporate severance policy they are using to inform what the benefits are...

I have never seen a robust severance package for part-time employees laid-off. In companies I worked with, we'd offer the severance $ as a way to protect our business from unlawful termination litigation.

I have never seen a robust severance package for part-time employees laid-off. In companies I worked with, we'd offer the severance $ as a way to protect our business from unlawful termination litigation.

Wonder if CA or FL (or other states with Disney stores) have some "emergency law" language that would make doing this the better practice during the Covid emergency (that I think is still the "declared posture" of most states), especially if Disney took any national, state, or local government Covid funds...

I'm sure we'll get full details in a few days on how this will all play out at the nitty gritty level (of who gets what, how, and when)...

This is entirely my own opinion, but I think WDW has needed to restructure its castmember employment practices for a while. I think WDW gets a lot of credit for employing a lot of people, but they employ way too many people. For example, in order to get a part-time merchandising job at WDW, you have to guarantee three days/shifts a week of availability. But this does not mean you are guaranteed three shifts a week. In fact, you can be scheduled for less, or none. And to a point, some of the castmembers have benefited from this. Some employees want to remain employed just for the benefits, and couldn't care less about working shifts. This creates extra shifts that those who aren't scheduled for as many shifts as they want or need can fill by trading for shifts. I base this on my DW's experience since being hired last October.

But should Disney get credit for employing so many castmembers when a significant amount may be working minimal shifts if any? It would be one thing if Disney specifically hired people with the expectation that they would work one shift a week or none, but they don't. The castmembers have to promise their availability for at least 3 shifts a week, in exchange for employment that doesn't actually guarantee any work.

I don't think that model is/was fair to the castmembers, or sustainable in the long run. Even now, as WDW has reopened and some castmembers have returned to work, those castmembers are often being assigned roles that they were not in before, and having to work days/shifts that are outside the original 3 days/shifts that they were told they had to be available. And again, they have brought back so many castmembers that (in some cases) they are not able to work enough shifts to make as much as they were making pre-covid, or on unemployment. Something had to change eventually. I hope any cuts are used to build a more efficient and fair employment model.

Last edited:
This is entirely my own opinion, but I think WDW has needed to restructure its castmember employment practices for a while. I think WDW gets a lot of credit for employing a lot of people, but they employ way too many people. For example, in order to get a part-time merchandising job at WDW, you have to guarantee three days/shifts a week of availability. But this does not mean you are guaranteed three shifts a week. In fact, you can be scheduled for less, or none. And to a point, some of the castmembers have benefited from this. Some employees want to remain employed just for the benefits, and couldn't care less about working shifts. This creates extra shifts that those who aren't scheduled for as many shifts as they want or need can fill by trading for shifts. I base this on my DW's experience since being hired last October.

But should Disney get credit for employing so many castmembers when a significant amount may be working minimal shifts if any. It would be one thing if Disney specifically hired people with the expectation that they would work one shift a week or none, but they don't. The castmembers have to promise their availability for at least 3 shifts a week, in exchange for employment that doesn't actually guarantee any work.

I don;t think that model is/was fair to the castmembers, or sustainable in the long run. Even now, as WDW has reopened and some castmembers have returned to work, those castmembers are often being assigned roles that they were not in before, and having to work days/shifts that are outside the original 3 days/shifts that they were told they had to be available. And again, they have brought back so many castmembers that (in some cases) they are not able to work enough shifts to make as much as they were making pre-covid, or on unemployment. Something had to change eventually. I hope any cuts are used to build a more efficient and fair employment model.

That was very insightful. I think they (Disney) wants(ed) maximum resource/CM flexibility without offering a solid and reliable work schedule; at least that's the way I interpret it.

So while it might be easy to be mired by the sheer number of employees being laid off, the perception I get is it offers a chance to re-organize into a more sustainable and longer-term business model. Of course, I am reading between a lot of lines so I am sure there are many things I am missing.

I used to work for a fortune 100 company. Based on Fed regs that has been in place for years and years. If a company is planning to lay off x number of employees from a SPECIFIC location, they are required to give x number days of notification both to the employees and the gov't.

My company every so often would layoff thousands of people at one time. However, they would spread the layoffs over many sites, so any one site would not meet the reporting thresholds. However, over the years some of the sites would "disappear".

Not defending Disney, but at least they are giving their cast members a heads ups. Unlike other companies who would game the notification system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter