Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="parasail_of_congress, post: 62355230,
Glad to hear that your office has been fine. Obviously other people have not been fine. Meanwhile, it's a free-for-all in Florida. I believe Disney is trying its best to keep people safe, and it's unfortunate that others prefer to put money over lives. I guess it's easy to do when it's someone else's life.
[/QUOTE]

Why do you think it’s a free-for-all in Florida??
Case numbers are going down and more importantly hospital numbers in Central Florida are way down.
Orlando Health the largest hospital in the area has only 50 COVID patients in all of their hospitals.

It is so sad that CA politics are going to cause these people to be out of work.
I went back to the office in May, for a giant fortune 100 company... our plants never shut down (including our CA locations!). Our offices have been fine. We even traveled for work. It is possible to navigate thru this time. The CA Governor should be ashamed. /end rant.

I used to work for a fortune 100 company. Based on Fed regs that has been in place for years and years. If a company is planning to lay off x number of employees from a SPECIFIC location, they are required to give x number days of notification both to the employees and the gov't.

My company every so often would layoff thousands of people at one time. However, they would spread the layoffs over many sites, so any one site would not meet the reporting thresholds. However, over the years some of the sites would "disappear".

Not defending Disney, but at least they are giving their cast members a heads ups. Unlike other companies who would game the notification system.

I feel so bad for those poor cast members. No matter if they expected it or not, this will have been hard, scary news for them. I hope a Covid vaccine is discovered quickly and that the world rebounds from it even quicker so that those fine people can go back to work.

It is so sad that CA politics are going to cause these people to be out of work.
I went back to the office in May, for a giant fortune 100 company... our plants never shut down (including our CA locations!). Our offices have been fine. We even traveled for work. It is possible to navigate thru this time. The CA Governor should be ashamed. /end rant.

Yup, this was to be expected by prolonging the shutdown just for politics. Peoples jobs and lives are at stake but these rich politicians could care less about wrecking the economy and industries.

[QUOTE="parasail_of_congress, post: 62355230,
Glad to hear that your office has been fine. Obviously other people have not been fine. Meanwhile, it's a free-for-all in Florida. I believe Disney is trying its best to keep people safe, and it's unfortunate that others prefer to put money over lives. I guess it's easy to do when it's someone else's life.

Why do you think it’s a free-for-all in Florida??
Case numbers are going down and more importantly hospital numbers in Central Florida are way down.
Orlando Health the largest hospital in the area has only 50 COVID patients in all of their hospitals.
[/QUOTE]
that's not the narrative "they" want to spread.

Most of these people will never see a penny from Disney. Some corporate people will see that 90 day pay mentioned not the people who work in the parks. Professionals not cast members in the park.

Those outplacement services are pennies per employee and basically useless. Every company is overwhelmed right now and it's the same self help videos one can find on YouTube for resume tips and interview tips.

Disney isn't being nice California law requires them to report layoffs of this size and ahead of time.

Cobra is legally required for them to offer so that's not them being "nice" and no one can afford it or wants it unless you have a known expensive issue like cancer or planned surgery or about to have a child. It will be over $500 a month for just medical in so cal for a super high deductable options. Cobra is not worth anything to 99% of those people they cant afford it

Disney makes the story here "Blame California", let's remember that a month ago their execs pay cuts reverted back to normal and they're full steam ahead on what will be a very exclusive and expensive SW hotel.

The excutives had to be sure to revert their pay a month ahead of this. Poor cast members , I would like information on if I can donate to their food shelf. Let's post it on the executives social media accounts too

Good knife in the back for the new uppers first task. Disney will struggle to get staff when they need them after this.

Yet another sign of abysmal leadership and people who actually dont care about those below them.

Disney makes the story here "Blame California", let's remember that a month ago their execs pay cuts reverted back to normal and they're full steam ahead on what will be a very exclusive and expensive SW hotel.

The excutives had to be sure to revert their pay a month ahead of this. Poor cast members , I would like information on if I can donate to their food shelf. Let's post it on the executives social media accounts too

It is a really tasteless view on the execs reverting back to their "contracted" salaries.

There are several Orlando/CM based food pantries. Here is one:

https://www.facebook.com/castmemberpantry/

Aren’t they running an ad right now?

This is sad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter