Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are also booked for November 2021 and we’ll likely postpone until spring 2022. I can’t imagine it’ll all be back in the next 12 months. I mean I think fireworks and the shows will all be back but I also like things like the storytellers at Epcot festival of holidays, and smaller entertainment like that
Unfortunately those smaller things may never come back.

Some if not most of this stuff still be back because it does make Disney money. Fireworks especially. It’s the smaller things like streetmosphere that I and many are rightfully concerned about.

The question is when. Most of these cut backs were for $, not safety, so how long before they are financially in a place where they can start spending money on things that don't necessarily earn them money?

And in what form? I can see some things being permanently changed. Ex. character dining and meet and greets. Also, fireworks...do we think they will ever go back to allowing the cram packed crowds they used to?

The question is when. Most of these cut backs were for $, not safety, so how long before they are financially in a place where they can start spending money on things that don't necessarily earn them money?

And in what form? I can see some things being permanently changed. Ex. character dining and meet and greets. Also, fireworks...do we think they will ever go back to allowing the cram packed crowds they used to?

All of these things directly make them money.

They do assuming they have enough takers for them.

A desert party with only a couple of bookings will probably be losing Disney money.

The only way I see them having enough takers is to make the price "reasonable", but I give that a 1% chance. Otherwise, I see them increasing the price to limit the number of takers to which I could see them then not getting enough bookings and cancel. A slippery slope.

The only way I see them having enough takers is to make the price "reasonable", but I give that a 1% chance. Otherwise, I see them increasing the price to limit the number of takers to which I could see them then not getting enough bookings and cancel. A slippery slope.
Simple, only offer the dessert party a few days a week. Increase the price to reduce excess demand. Upgrade the package to include a picture

Simple, only offer the dessert party a few days a week. Increase the price to reduce excess demand. Upgrade the package to include a picture

Maybe. The price will be the capacity driver in my opinion. Then I could see accounting looking at the numbers and push to open more than a few days a week and then you'll be back to square one.

By the time they are allowed to bring these things back they will also be able to increase capacity so I don’t see why these extras wouldn’t book up.

It would be interesting to see what the current MK crowd would look like all together in the hub/on Main Street for fireworks. Would it feel pleasantly comfortable? When capacity increases, I wonder how crowded it has to feel for people to feel it’s worth it to dish out $$$ for a comfortable amount of space and a clear view. I never felt it was worth it for our family before (we’d rather spend the money on a character meal and find our own fireworks spot than pay for a dessert party), so I’m a bad person to judge what that tipping point looks like.

It would be interesting to see what the current MK crowd would look like all together in the hub/on Main Street for fireworks. Would it feel pleasantly comfortable? When capacity increases, I wonder how crowded it has to feel for people to feel it’s worth it to dish out $$$ for a comfortable amount of space and a clear view. I never felt it was worth it for our family before (we’d rather spend the money on a character meal and find our own fireworks spot than pay for a dessert party), so I’m a bad person to judge what that tipping point looks like.

Isn't 25% about what it is for an MNSSHP/MVMCP? If so, the hub would be very crowded indeed - at least on a day where they are reaching the capacity cap.

Notice they waited til after the deadline to cancel ap’s to do this...

Universal has kept nearly all entertainment. Some of it I don’t think is really safe as the actors are right next to each other, but there’s more that Disney could do. I was going to drop my Uni pass and keep my WDW pass but I think I’m going to switch it. Uni has much more distancing in place too. I’ve had a WDW pass nearly continuously for half my life.
Are universals entertainers in an union? I think the union demands may limit what Disney can do.

Not sure if this has been brought up here. I've noted on numerous occasions over the last couple weeks that many other mass media companies (and some amusement park operators) like TWDC have held firm on executive pay reductions they instituted earlier this year. TWDC, as a reminder, reportedly reinstated 100% executive pay in August. That's not news, but interestingly enough, the Oriental Land Company (which owns and operates Tokyo Disney Resort under a licensing agreement) announced today that they were further lowering executive pay. By most accounts, TDR's reopening has gone very well (they're already doing parades and fireworks there and it appears they're increasing capacity) but even they don't seem to see the situation changing anytime soon. Kudos to them.

Are universals entertainers in an union? I think the union demands may limit what Disney can do.

I’m not sure. But the union did eventually reach an agreement with Disney. Disney (eventually) chose to lay off nearly everyone anyways. Seems like retaliation to me, for the initial disagreement.

I've always wanted to see Festival of The Lion King and Hoop De Doo :( poor CMs.

That attraction is particularly difficult to re-imagine. It's an odd shape and size.

Isn't it supposed to be turning into a Wreck-It Ralph themed attraction? Or is it just "We filed the patents and one day we'll get to it."

I’m not sure. But the union did eventually reach an agreement with Disney. Disney (eventually) chose to lay off nearly everyone anyways. Seems like retaliation to me, for the initial disagreement.

I believe this is because the union wanted distancing for actors and most shows in the parks didn't allow or couldn't guarantee that. Perhaps it's just not the time to rewrite those.

This just adds to the heartbreak of this whole year. All these people who had their DREAM JOBS just taken away. On Instagram I found some of the CMs who were characters I'd met- this was the first time I'd ever actually sat in line for meet & greets, and I discovered they were a lot of fun. And now their IGs are full of sadness over losing jobs they'd held for 3-6 years- one particular Elsa (the first I encountered, who made me realize these were a lot of fun) was a six-year vet and just like that- gone.

And now I'm thinking of a variety of other people. Maybe the pair at the pin shop who really dug my Goofy Movie t-shirt. The guy who led our "Keys to the Magic Kingdom" tour seven years ago. The clerks at the hotel or the Belle store that noticed my "Wicked" shirt. Any or all of those people could be gone.

And I mean... I want to head back to the parks. For my own mental health as much as anything- a place to be enjoyed after the nightmare that has been this entire year. As soon as I'm able, I think, I'll go back... but it'll be a whole lot sadder, deader, and emptier without all of these people, and the attractions they enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter