Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
People like to talk about Chapek eliminating jobs for years, but the actual numbers don’t show that. In 2014 WDW employed around 60,000 people. It employed 77,000 at the end of last year.
I should add that actors equity did take a big hit over the last five years at WDW. According to Actors Equity’s annual reports, total work weeks for their membership have been cut from 16,801 to 12,354 over that time period.

Is it easier to field a football team or a basketball team?
Numbers aren't the sole issue. Economics is real good at valuing that which is scarce versus that which is easy to find. Frankly, there are too many people who would love to be friends with Elsa or Goofy. Since it is easy to find, it doesn't need to pay much. When Disney holds auditions for equity roles, they get floods of people applying.

When Disney wants a high level executive they don't open it up to whoever, they generally go after specific, targeted individuals who have proven themselves externally or internally. I know people like to mock those executives, but Disney selects the best from a small pool.

So it's not fielding football vs basketball, it's choosing between hundreds or thousands willing to come to you vs luring one of a handful that you have chosen away from someone else.

You simply don't know or appreciate how hard it is to hire good executives vs how easy it is to hire for most of these other positions. Are there exceptions? Of course. The tumble monkeys come to mind as do the puppeteers at Nemo. But if you need a good looking face that can sing, wander around Nashville and you will find hundreds waiting for a big break. If you need line cooks all you need to do is hang out a sign. If you need ride safety operators, restart your college program. And if you need someone to play Mickey you'll need a stick to beat off the line that forms as soon as anyone knows....

Is it easier to find a franchise QB or a backup free safety?

If you dont have a backup free safety, you lose the game every single time.

The front line positions are more challenging to run in many cases, but a lot of people refuse to accept that because they are paid less. Bob Iger couldnt repair space mountain. Chapek couldnt be a voice of liberty. If youre cool being some 3rd rate rinky dink park then yes...the ceo matters most.

I can't imagine Disney doesn't utilize headhunters to qualify their external executives (or even mid-level management). I think they are laser focused on the talent pool inside that particular position's core expertise.

There's no need for them to open up a public offering when the number of viable candidates is likely <10 persons per C-level position; you don't want HR to screen those resumes.

If you dont have a backup free safety, you lose the game every single time.

The front line positions are more challenging to run in many cases, but a lot of people refuse to accept that because they are paid less. Bob Iger couldnt repair space mountain. Chapek couldnt be a voice of liberty. If youre cool being some 3rd rate rinky dink park then yes...the ceo matters most.
I don't know if I can compare a backup free safety to those positions you just named. Those would be more like the offensive lineman in the trenches. Nobody ever relies on a backup free safety who are usually relegated to special teams. But I definitely believe without the front line the top would definitely crumble

I don't know if I can compare a backup free safety to those positions you just named. Those would be more like the offensive lineman in the trenches. Nobody ever relies on a backup free safety who are usually relegated to special teams. But I definitely believe without the front line the top would definitely crumble

Simply put, if you get rid of your backups, not many people play a full game in the nfl. You will lose the game with lack of a backup at any position.

It just emphasizes just how little "live entertainment" they have right now. The cavalcades seem like a great solution though. Hopefully they come up with some other creative solutions.

Bring back the roaming Beaker and Bunsen in EPCOT. Very low contact!

The logical underpinning of your argument is false. You pretend that Disney and auto parts manufacturing is the same business model. An “entertainment” venue is slashing entertainment, in your argument the auto parts manufacturers can deteriorate the quality of the product then say “Wall Street” as cover. Hey I would love to pay more for the brakes on my car, even through they have much less stopping power than they used too because I’ve always like the brand... SAYS NOBODY. A smart investor realizes when they are strangling the golden goose.

The folks who can afford 10 days at the Poly can also afford a European river cruise. Keep trying to maximize profit this quarter by degradation of experience, they WILL CHOOSE SOMEWHERE ELSE. Simply because they can, Mickey waffles doesn’t add up to a 7k, please stop pretending it does.

USED to be a hard core DVC'er 800+ points several vacations a year etc, etc but in 2015 started to see prices spike while things we loved were cut, Fast forward to 2017 Marathon Weekend, We arrived to find our room reservation 'poofed' vanished into thin air, Had our paperwork but 'We cant accomodate you - have a magical day'

Thank Cthulu for those Marriott/Hilton points I had from business travel, Those and 2,500 bucks got me a grand villa at Marriott for the weekend. After that we immediately dumped our DVC points and hell will freeze over before we go back.

And we bought a Cessna 172 so now we can fly to all kinds of amazing places that only a small plane can get you and no TSA hassles (well yes they do exist but a different flavor and you get to keep your shoes and clothes on) and yet we are spending less even with the aircraft maintenance and insurance than we were with Disney.

A lot of us truly loved what Disney USED to be but we are choosing to spend our money ELSEWHERE as Disney is no longer providing VALUE for the money spent there.

Those DVC points gave us lots of priceless memories but there comes an inflection point where the GREED is far more obvious than the MAGIC! and I wish those early days were still something attainable at Disney. I guess you can say Disney left us, We never left Walt's ideals for the happiest place on earth. But today the only Disney at Disney is the name, Heck look what they did to the entrance arch. they removed 'where dreams come true'.

While I do understand your point of view, it's not like they wanted to do this. Had it not been for the pandemic they would not have cut Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo, Beauty and the Beast, Indiana Jones (Okay, Indy's been on the rumored chopping block for a while). What I'm saying is that while it definitely sucks, it wasn't "corporate suicide" so much as murder. What choice do they have right now?

Sure they would have, WDW has been the ATM for the Walt Disney company for a long time, These layoffs were long planned and the staff/shows they cut are never coming back in my opinion. They just cut 2 BILLION dollars of operating expense from the bottom line at WDW. Burbank's assumption is when Covid vaccine widely distributed people will flock to WDW because of the power of the BRAND just like they did before and they will for a while but they will soon realize Disney is now just like Six Flags some rides and that's it.

They don't realize that Disney parks were an artform meant to be EXPERIENCED and that was why there was layer upon layer of detail. Utilidors to keep people in the moment everything was about the EXPERIENCE of visiting a Disney park, Heck there were days I just spent wandering the park marvelling at how all the pieces fit together and how the pieces told a story.

All that's gone and aint never coming back with this crew in charge in Burbank.

Sure they would have, WDW has been the ATM for the Walt Disney company for a long time, These layoffs were long planned and the staff/shows they cut are never coming back in my opinion. They just cut 2 BILLION dollars of operating expense from the bottom line at WDW. Burbank's assumption is when Covid vaccine widely distributed people will flock to WDW because of the power of the BRAND just like they did before and they will for a while but they will soon realize Disney is now just like Six Flags some rides and that's it.

They don't realize that Disney parks were an artform meant to be EXPERIENCED and that was why there was layer upon layer of detail. Utilidors to keep people in the moment everything was about the EXPERIENCE of visiting a Disney park, Heck there were days I just spent wandering the park marvelling at how all the pieces fit together and how the pieces told a story.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion but I do not beleive they would have shuttered Festival of the Lion King etc. if not for Covid. There were no plans to do that with the popular shows. I read just today that D'Amaro said they do plan to bring these shows back. I am certian that they will or they will put a new show in place of one that closed. It will get there - it's just that right now they really have no choice.

Last edited:
USED to be a hard core DVC'er 800+ points several vacations a year etc, etc but in 2015 started to see prices spike while things we loved were cut, Fast forward to 2017 Marathon Weekend, We arrived to find our room reservation 'poofed' vanished into thin air, Had our paperwork but 'We cant accomodate you - have a magical day'

Thank Cthulu for those Marriott/Hilton points I had from business travel, Those and 2,500 bucks got me a grand villa at Marriott for the weekend. After that we immediately dumped our DVC points and hell will freeze over before we go back.

And we bought a Cessna 172 so now we can fly to all kinds of amazing places that only a small plane can get you and no TSA hassles (well yes they do exist but a different flavor and you get to keep your shoes and clothes on) and yet we are spending less even with the aircraft maintenance and insurance than we were with Disney.

A lot of us truly loved what Disney USED to be but we are choosing to spend our money ELSEWHERE as Disney is no longer providing VALUE for the money spent there.

Those DVC points gave us lots of priceless memories but there comes an inflection point where the GREED is far more obvious than the MAGIC! and I wish those early days were still something attainable at Disney. I guess you can say Disney left us, We never left Walt's ideals for the happiest place on earth. But today the only Disney at Disney is the name, Heck look what they did to the entrance arch. they removed 'where dreams come true'.

👍

What paperwork did you have? Weren’t reservations down through the website?

Disney isn’t down to the level of six flags at all and I think you know that.

Currently, it is.
I would have to politely disagree. Disney still has a sort of Aura going around the park still with it even if its brief character appearances and unscheduled parades. Six flags is strictly thrill rides which what they are known for and having the same food at each restaurant. Disney is still doing what they can for the hand they are being dealt. Of course its not the usual Disney but I will still take a 60% Disney over an 100% six flags experience

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter