• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
What paperwork did you have? Weren’t reservations down through the website?

At the time the DVC member website, CM at the desk tried to tell me that I cancelled our reservation. But I had printed everything out the morning I left. No use in rehashing it, Will not fix what happened nor will it prevent it from happening to someone else. It will not happen to US again as Disney's never going to see us again.

I would have to politely disagree. Disney still has a sort of Aura going around the park still with it even if its brief character appearances and unscheduled parades. Six flags is strictly thrill rides which what they are known for and same food at each restaurant. Disney is still doing what they can. Of course its not the usual Disney but I will still take a 60% Disney over an 100% six flags experience

Right there is the problem Burbank KNOWS many people will take the 60 Percent Disney vacation, So what is the incentive on the business side to provide a 100% Disney vacation, At what point do you call it quits on Disney because the vacation is no longer worth the pricetag. As it stands now Disney charges 100% of the Price and delivers 60% of the service. A great deal for executives and stockholders, Not so great for CM's and Guests.

If you dont have a backup free safety, you lose the game every single time.

The front line positions are more challenging to run in many cases, but a lot of people refuse to accept that because they are paid less. Bob Iger couldnt repair space mountain. Chapek couldnt be a voice of liberty. If youre cool being some 3rd rate rinky dink park then yes...the ceo matters most.

Here's the difference from a finance guy (Iger) to a real CEO (Eisner) Eisner could and did serve QS meals, wore fur and was a sweeper guy and attractions CM. Eisner knew what running the park actually took because he actually went out as a regular CM without an army of plaids surrounding him and interacted with the guests. Bill Hewlett and Walter Packard called this Management by Walking Around - yes and HP and its successors is another company where the founder's ideals which made it at one time the greatest engineering company every are well and truly dead killed off by finance types who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Yeah, I mean, come on, it ain't no Six Flags! I mean, even if you strip all entertaiment out it wouldn't quite be like that - there is a lot more theming. Six Flags will just paint a roller coaster black and gold and call it Batman!

And what do you call Slinky Dog coaster, Slap on some fiberglass heads and red paint and call it 'Slinky Dog'

Right there is the problem Burbank KNOWS many people will take the 60 Percent Disney vacation, So what is the incentive on the business side to provide a 100% Disney vacation, At what point do you call it quits on Disney because the vacation is no longer worth the pricetag. As it stands now Disney charges 100% of the Price and delivers 60% of the service. A great deal for executives and stockholders, Not so great for CM's and Guests.
absolutely true. I agree with everything you're saying. But with the turnout so far that they are getting and people still coming to the parks even knowing that shows, fireworks, and meet and greets are still on hold, It kind of shows the things people will do to get their Disney fix in anyway they can. Also people are wanting an escape from reality and Disney provides a quick small escape that makes people feel in dreamland for a couple days or weeks at a time. I even had a co-worker who has never been to Disney who just went this past weekend and she said she had so much fun she is ready to go back already. Imagine whenever she experiences Disney at its full potential. I also informed her before she went what to expect but she came back and everything far succeeded her expectations!

absolutely true. I agree with everything you're saying. But with the turnout so far that they are getting and people still coming to the parks even knowing that shows, fireworks, and meet and greets are still on hold, It kind of shows the things people will do to get their Disney fix in anyway they can. Also people are wanting an escape from reality and Disney provides a quick small escape that makes people feel in dreamland for a couple days or weeks at a time. I even had a co-worker who has never been to Disney who just went this past weekend and she said she had so much fun she is ready to go back already. Imagine whenever she experiences Disney at its full potential. I also informed her before she went what to expect but she came back and everything far succeeded her expectations!

What you are seeing now IS the full potential going forward. Compare what Disney is doing now vs Dollywood or Universal. (note have only seen the pictures I HAVE NOT BEEN THERE) I expect TS meals to be whacked next to be replaced by more 'financially efficient' QS meal locations as servers will be unecessary.

And what do you call Slinky Dog coaster, Slap on some fiberglass heads and red paint and call it 'Slinky Dog'

You see what you want to see. Not everything at WDW is as intensely themed as other things, but the singing Wheezy still brings it above your average Six Flags ride. You know that that lightly themed coaster is right next to Smuggler's Run and Rise of the Resistance, right? Show me something at Six Flags like that!

What you are seeing now IS the full potential going forward. Compare what Disney is doing now vs Dollywood or Universal. (note have only seen the pictures I HAVE NOT BEEN THERE) I expect TS meals to be whacked next to be replaced by more 'financially efficient' QS meal locations as servers will be unecessary.
Its obvious you’re not a Disney fan, and have stated you will never be returning to Disney, so why are you clogging up a a Disney planning website forum with your anti-Disney sentiment? You’re not going to convince anyone here over to your viewpoint, you’ll just get the 1-2 lurkers who negatively post on all of these threads. I just don’t understand why people who actively hate Disney would want to troll a Disney forum. I would never waste the time going onto a forum for something I so disliked.

The recent Employee Purge, for DW & I, has just about cemented cancelation of our DVC booked APR 2021 trip.

All personal opinion - our friends are gone, no restaurants, no fireworks ... pretty much "no nothing". No longer a COVID thing for us - far more "no legitimate vacation".

Being DVC owners? We have other issues. Planning on paying our 2021 dues, but seriously considering bailing on DVC, unless there IS a WDW to go to :(. 300 points sold at $1.00/point was always our exit , given that we hit "break even" in 2018.

There is a nightmare scenario for Disney DVC owners selling their points at 'below market' rates that forces them to burn cash to ROFR those points just imagine the result if 50K or so DVC members do this, The DVC price supports will collapse as Disney does not have the resources to absorb all those points. And of course Disney could not resist the urge to gouge the DVC members by maxing out the dues increase even though the resorts were closed for months.

There is a nightmare scenario for Disney DVC owners selling their points at 'below market' rates that forces them to burn cash to ROFR those points just imagine the result if 50K or so DVC members do this, The DVC price supports will collapse as Disney does not have the resources to absorb all those points. And of course Disney could not resist the urge to gouge the DVC members by maxing out the dues increase even though the resorts were closed for months.
Well, considering DVC points are still being sold by Disney at a good clip, and there are still thousands upon thousands of DVC members that are more than happy to use their points, I really don’t think this will ever be an issue. There just isn’t going to be a rush of people looking to unload their points. If anything, there’s a rush of people looking to add on.

Its obvious you’re not a Disney fan, and have stated you will never be returning to Disney, so why are you clogging up a a Disney planning website forum with your anti-Disney sentiment? You’re not going to convince anyone here over to your viewpoint, you’ll just get the 1-2 lurkers who negatively post on all of these threads. I just don’t understand why people who actively hate Disney would want to troll a Disney forum. I would never waste the time going onto a forum for something I so disliked.

I am indeed a Disney fan, Someone who believes in the same things that Walt Disney did. If you recall Walt and the nine old men walked the park every day. And it was Walt himself who warned us not to listen to the 'Sharp Pencil Boys' as he called them who said the easiest path to profit was to cut quality.

Just wait till the 'Bob Iger Company' goes after your favorites, Dont come crying to me I tried to warn you.

I am indeed a Disney fan, Someone who believes in the same things that Walt Disney did. If you recall Walt and the nine old men walked the park every day. And it was Walt himself who warned us not to listen to the 'Sharp Pencil Boys' as he called them who said the easiest path to profit was to cut quality.

Just wait till the 'Bob Iger Company' goes after your favorites, Dont come crying to me I tried to warn you.
I won’t, don’t worry. I enjoy everything Disney does and will continue going to the parks on a monthly basis for years and years to come.

Well, considering DVC points are still being sold by Disney at a good clip, and there are still thousands upon thousands of DVC members that are more than happy to use their points, I really don’t think this will ever be an issue. There just isn’t going to be a rush of people looking to unload their points. If anything, there’s a rush of people looking to add on.

But with severely reduced park offerings you may see a lot of DVC owners reconsider, While WDW continues it's slash and burn of attractions and entertainment In Japan the parks have brought back nearly all of the entertainment and attractions and their executives have taken a second round of pay reductions. Seems like Walt's spirit is alive in Japan not so much in the united states.

There is a nightmare scenario for Disney DVC owners selling their points at 'below market' rates that forces them to burn cash to ROFR those points just imagine the result if 50K or so DVC members do this, The DVC price supports will collapse as Disney does not have the resources to absorb all those points.

I will be buying a ton of points if that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter