Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting Reddit forum discussion from cast members about Furloughs.

It’s a sad day in the world of Disney as you hear about so many of your friends like a family getting laid off.

Disney Cast Member Furlough Check-In

Posted by u/cmfurloughed

Like many here, I was furloughed from my job with Disney. Since then, I’ve been told... nothing. I’m completely in the dark.

I thought it might be helpful to anonymously compare notes. Could help give us a better idea of what’s happening.

If you’d like- please answer these questions.
  • When were you furloughed?
  • Have you returned to work?
  • If so, when did you return?
  • If not, have you been given a return date?
  • When was the last update given to you? (this could just be a leader checking in vs. official communication)
  • What is your role (be general/vague)?
  • Are you in a union?
  • Other thoughts and comments?

Help Give Back to Disney Cast & Community By Tom Bricker

I found the link from Josh's easyWDW website

Disney will terminate the employment of more than 28,000 domestic cast members across its Parks, Experiences, and Products segments. Many of them have been on furlough since March and have received virtually no communication from Disney about what’s happening in the interim or when their jobs may become available again. Most haven’t heard anything since early August, or nearly two months ago. Disney does point out that they used your tax money to pay the meager health benefits that most lower-level cast members carried. This thread on Reddit, posted three days and titled, “Disney Cast Member Furlough Check-In” ...you can read anecdotal stories about how Disney has treated its employees since the Parks closed back in March. Most have received the same poor treatment and lack of communication.

A lot of cast members make it work, one way or another, but it’s a struggle for most. With the hospitality market in Orlando in absolute shambles, there are few to no positions available for anyone who is about to be laid off.

The “escape from reality” that Disney so vehemently markets is inherently connected to these people. I will admit that when I visited Disneyland early last year, the thought of what any particular cast member had going on outside of work never entered my mind. I was on “vacation” like everyone else. When you visit Walt Disney World, you likely arrive with the same mindset. In Florida, where I know hundreds or thousands of cast members personally, the reality for me back home is quite different.

Disney is obviously not alone in laying off a substantial amount of its workforce. Neither is there anything particularly unique about making $12/hour working in costuming versus making the same money at any fast food restaurant? Both people endure similar struggles with making ends meet. Unfortunately, the economic climate in Orlando is particularly poor. We have the lowest wages of any major city in America. At least as recently as last year, rent in Orlando was also increasing faster than any other major metropolitan area. Apartments are also priced higher, as a percentage of the amount of money that you can expect to make, than any other city in the country. It is expensive to live here and there are very few jobs that pay enough to make things easy.

Bricker has a nice rundown of how you can help affected cast members in this post. If you are planning on skipping a trip this year, you might send along with the money you were planning on tipping housekeeping. Or the equivalent of a couple of Mickey Bars. Or more, if you can afford it.

Last edited:
It’s important to note that it’s not just parks Cast Members being laid off. Also includes Imagineering and other employees throughout Parks/Experiences/Products.

Evidently about 2/3 of the layoffs are part-time employees, and I’d wager many of them were furloughed and not expected back anytime soon.
Will this affect voice actors for cartoons in Disney Channel and Disney XD?

I know it's probably already answered. Can anyone tell me how to help with the cast members pantry or how to make a money donation. My heart is acttally "broken" over this.

these cast members have made our family vacations "magical" over the years. It 's time to support them.

View attachment 528821

I found this at https://www.scribd.com/document/478036967/Additional-Information-Cast-Resources-092920

I would be curious as to how many castmembers will actually be eligible for these benefits - especially the Disney Severance Pay Plan. I am guessing most are excluded.

What I'm reading from the last article is that WDC is providing the services of Randstad RiseSmart for 90 days after separation to assist with resume support, career coaching, etc., not 90 days severance pay. Is this where people are getting their "info" regarding 90 day severance pay? I still haven't found anything concrete to support that statement.

It’s so sad. This happens at WDI so frequently. Anytime there’s any financial hardship whatsoever within the Company, WDI bears the brunt of it because they’re not direct revenue-generators. It’s the first place they turn to make cuts (even when they’re not cutting in other divisions of DPEP). It’s got to be just so demoralizing each time it happens. It happens so much there that they even talked about it in the (Disney-sponsored) Imagineering Story docuseries.
I know various blogs and social media folks have put out various charities and the like, but based on my conversations over the past few weeks with CMs, the Pantry seems to be having the most direct impact, so if finances are tight and you can only swing a donation to one, I’d suggest looking to help out there. Certainly if it is within your means, please consider taking the money you would’ve spent on a Disney trip (or if you are already traveling to WDW, consider taking your PH refund) and help out some of these folks in need. I’m going to be honest that I’ve spoken to a number of CMs — both well-seasoned and younger CMs — and none of them have seen something like this before. While we all knew this was coming, I’m not sure I personally was prepared for just how sweeping the layoffs and cuts are. Needless to say, this will drastically affect the WDW experience for years to come. Last night was a very dark night and, as I’ve said before, fundamentally changed the Disney Parks experience permanently.

I know it's probably already answered. Can anyone tell me how to help with the cast members' pantry or how to make a monetary donation? My heart is actually "broken" over this. These cast members have made our family vacations "magical" over the years. It's time to support them.

Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida

Cast Member Pantry

Cast Member Pantry Amazon Wish List

Unite Here 737

The Community Hope Center

Lifting Lives Up in Orlando

Embrace Celebration

We just heard from a close friend of ours who is a VIP tour guide that she lost her job. She was actually called back to work last Friday but was notified today that her job was being eliminated.
That seems so weird and cruel. Looks like there is a lack of coordination in Disney.

That seems so weird and cruel. Looks like there is a lack of coordination in Disney.

It's not unheard of anywhere in the business world. I was hired by a company that paid a small fortune to hire me, move me from NYC to FL, rent me an apartment and car for 2 months, paid for all my meals over those 2 months and more incidentals. One week after all my stuff arrived and I was in my own apartment, the company was bought out and my division was eliminated.

To be hired, I was interviewed by the CEO, who knew the talks were ongoing, as well as him becoming the CEO of the new company. I figured out from receipts and my signing bonus, the company spent between 30 and 40K to hire and move me, plus almost the same more in the guaranteed severance in my contract.

It's small potatoes to a major corporation, so stuff like that happens when they aren't making big changes public knowledge. Due to Insider Trading Rules, and other business ethics, stupid stuff like this happens all the time. Yes it's cruel, I was now stuck in FL knowing pretty much no one, with a brand new car and a year long apartment lease, but there is very little companies can do about it. Plans have to go public at some point, and prior to that they have to be kept private, even from division heads making hiring and call back decisions.

Upper upper management doesn't communicate with any lower levels until the very last minute. It's been like this for a very long time
Unfortunately that’s true in a lot of workplaces. I’ve had that experience in local government employ, law firms, and my current occupation. Definitely not something unique to Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter