Disney Parts Ways With Beloved Hilton Head Island Resorts B’Lou and Shadow

As a gentle reminder for the public at large, please don't take out your frustrations regarding Disney's decision on CMs. While the situation has upset many guests, continuous questioning and, in some cases, badgering of CMs about the situation heightens the tension and could put the CMs in a precarious position. The best CMs in all of Disney work at HHI and most love their jobs. Complaining directly to them or asking their opinions on the matter definitely compromises their ability to provide the guest with the best possible service. Just a friendly PSA. ;)
Sorry that we need reminding. Hugs. :grouphug:
Happy Thanksgiving 🦃

Hi folks!

My family and I have been coming to Disney's HHI Resort for Thanksgiving since 2010 (BLT members since 2009). When we heard about B'Lou and Shadow being let go, we were beyond disappointed.

When we arrived on Monday, Shadow's dog house was still in front of the main building, however they removed it on Thanksgiving Day! Of all days! We asked about why it was removed and were told that it was being refurbished for Pluto. There was a Holiday Party today (Friday) and Pluto was in attendance. So, what this tells me is this is just another move to use more Disney IP, rather than local resort IP - which actually has a connection and history with the HHI resort.

I ask all or you to sign the petition linked above and reach out to the resort separately and ask for the GM's email and write her and urge her to reconsider this decision.

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with writing the GM, but keep in mind this was a corporate Disney decision. ;)

Yep, she really is in a no win situation.

I don't think she's the type to worry about winning either way. She's got many company years under her belt and is probably not that far from retirement. Seemed to me to be a very pleasant, down to earth individual who is enjoying the laid back lifestyle of the Low Country.

My family fell in love with B'Lou and Shadow 20 years ago on a cold and rainy Veteran's Day Weekend. We took a chance that the Magic Show in the Community Hall would entertain our toddler daughters. Little did we know that it would be the beginning of a wonderful family tradition. We have returned to HHI almost every years since because of B'Lou, and HHI isn't even one of our home resorts, we have to work at it. This brought my daughters to tears. B'Lou is one of the nicest, and most talented people I've ever met. Shame on Disney.

We purchased our first contract at DHHIR when the resort was still under construction. The Beach House foundation was being poured and the resort itself was a hard hat area. Our "tour" took place sitting on a grassy lawn area across the harbour - which is now home to a condo itself.

Over the last 25+ years, we have enjoyed getting to know both Shadow and B'Lou. They will be greatly missed by our grand children - four in college and one in HS, their parents, and us!

Shadow is part of the "history" of the HH resort - and the explanation for the paw prints in the entryway tile in each villa. Hopefully, that will remain.

Three generations of our family are glad we have those memories from the HH resort. The physical evidence may be removed, but fond memories of thousands of adults and children (of all ages) will remain.

We purchased our first contract at DHHIR when the resort was still under construction. The Beach House foundation was being poured and the resort itself was a hard hat area. Our "tour" took place sitting on a grassy lawn area across the harbour - which is now home to a condo itself.

Over the last 25+ years, we have enjoyed getting to know both Shadow and B'Lou. They will be greatly missed by our grand children - four in college and one in HS, their parents, and us!

Shadow is part of the "history" of the HH resort - and the explanation for the paw prints in the entryway tile in each villa. Hopefully, that will remain.

Three generations of our family are glad we have those memories from the HH resort. The physical evidence may be removed, but fond memories of thousands of adults and children (of all ages) will remain.

Doc, last week I was in a one bedroom for 2 nights and then a grand villa for the next 4 nights. The paw prints are gone. They replaced that tile and the hardwood some time back with the wood look vinyl plank flooring.

I've been in a villa at least once a year since 1997, and I'd actually forgotten about that refurb.

The tile is still in the bathrooms, although in the one bedroom it was cracked and seemed to be patched, but no paw prints there either. The grand villa tile in the bathrooms was in almost perfect condition.

These paw prints still remain on the paved paths throughout the resort:

Oh and I figured my grands wouldn't remember Shadow and they really did enjoy Pluto. But, when they removed the doghouse, the 5 year old asked, 'where's the little house?'.

Doc, last week I was in a one bedroom for 2 nights and then a grand villa for the next 4 nights. The paw prints are gone. They replaced that tile and the hardwood some time back with the wood look vinyl plank flooring.

I haven't stayed at the resort since we moved to HH in 2010 - sorry to hear the tile pawprints are now gone. :(

Thanks for posting the images.

I remember after they took out the tile paw prints. They could have sold them in the gift shop as souvenirs, but no-the Disney-hired workers just smashed them all up. B’lou used to kind of joke about it, but it was really sad.

The thing I love about Disneys HHI resort above all other DVC resorts is that when you pull in they wave and say “Welcome Home”. It DOES feel like home with the quaint setting and the familiar faces. B’Lou is one of those familiar faces that we’ve all come to love seeing and interacting with. This is The DVC resort that is special because of the interaction with the cast members. This isn’t a place to sleep between park visits. The resort IS the vacation and losing B’Lou and shadow makes it a less desirable destination. B’Lou deserves better, and We deserve better. Very disappointed but not surprised given the new direction the CEO is taking Disney resorts and parks.

Has shadow ever been around since covid?
I was there in September 2020 no shadow.
it could be because of covid 19 and we all know covid is going to be around a long long time.

Has shadow ever been around since covid?
I was there in September 2020 no shadow.
it could be because of covid 19 and we all know covid is going to be around a long long time.

When COVID hit in March 2020, Disney laid off a vast majority of their entertainers in the theme parks and the resort.. B'lou (and Shadow) were part of that batch.. No one really questioned it.. Everyone knew Disney needed to keep costs low because of the shutdowns and frankly, with social distancing, it was probably the responsible thing to do.

Throughout B'lou's 20 month layoff, Disney had always indicated that they wanted to bring Shadow and him back to DHHIR. B'lou had a non-compete clause in his contract, and to his credit, he honored it and did not seek other work entertaining. Likewise, Disney paid Shadow's vet and grooming bills throughout that time, continuing to say that "They couldn't wait to have them back working with members and guests again, and that when more entertainers returned to the theme parks, that B'lou and Shadow would return as well."

A few weeks ago, B'lou (who's real name is Mick Ayres) received a phone call from DHHIR management. That manager read off of a corporate HR script and told him that he and Shadow would not be returning to the resort after 21 years. No reasons was given, other than there was a change in direction.

I, personally, have concerns for a few reasons..
1) B'lou was strung along through out this process.. After 21 years of working with Disney, he deserved better than that..

2) Shadow and B'lou are central to the cultural anthropology and iconography of the resort, and their presence ties into the "low country" history of the area and overall theming of the resort as a 1940's hunting and fishing lodge. Sure, Disney can try and swap in the character of Pluto for Shadow, but there's nothing specifically about Pluto that ties to the resort theming and history of the area, which is part of the attraction for spending time in HHI. If Disney wants to add more character experiences with Pluto, I have no problems with that, but don't use Pluto as a substitute for Shadow or B'lou.

3) If Disney can make this significant of a change to one of the original four DVC resorts, what's next? As our contracts get nearer to the 2042 date, what more will Disney cut in the name of cost savings or corporate homogeniality? Eliminate the Friendship boats at BWV and BCV and push everyone onto the busses? Remove the Community Halls because they distract guests from spending money at the theme parks? Close down the "Top of the World Lounge" at BLT? Close the Savannah at AKV because maintaining the animals is expensive? etc. etc. When does it stop?

For those that don't own at DHHIR or haven't stayed there, I can understand how you may be wondering, "Why the heck are they getting SO upset about Disney firing a man and his dog?!" What you should be asking yourself though as a member is, "What would I do if Disney, for no publicized reason, eliminated the most favorite thing about my favorite resort? The one thing that really made that resort feel like home.."

I'm a 20+ year member of DVC.. The motto used to be "If you believe in magic.. You Belong..." What happens then if Disney is cash strapped and starts removing those things that make our "homes" feel "magical"? Those things that make the resorts stand out from Marriot or Hilton Vacation clubs.. How do we handle that?

#bringbackblouandshadow #DVC #disneyvacationclub

Last edited:
Wasn't Shadow and B'Lou paid for from the DVC HHI dues budget, not DVD/Disney directly? If so, then shouldn't this be reflected in the budget and the owners should see an adjustment accordingly to their dues?

I'm not a HHI owner, but we have stayed once (DVC Bucket List) and saw Shadow. Nice but not important enough for us to lament over. Heck it wasn't even the original Shadow, maybe #3 or #4 clone. Personally, I empathize for those who will miss these 2 beloved HHI icons, as I know it's often the little things that mean the most. Best of luck with your petition.

As far as our home resorts BLT and BWV, we knew up front that TOTWL (a perk) was not part of the POS. Friendship boats at BLT are part of the transportation cost in our dues. Yes I know things can change, but it's still our Happy place, even with the changes.

Wasn't Shadow and B'Lou paid for from the DVC HHI dues budget, not DVD/Disney directly? If so, then shouldn't this be reflected in the budget and the owners should see an adjustment accordingly to their dues?

That's the weird thing... I completely agree with you.. If B'lou and Shadow were funded out of the DVC HHI dues/operational budget, then the proper thing to do would have been to have this as a topic at the annual meeting on December 9th. State that with the increased costs due to COVID and inflation, that DVC proposes either raising dues enough to cover the costs for on-property entertainment, or eliminate the entertainment and minimize the increase of dues... DVC could make the proposal and have a discussion with the members that own at HHI, instead of arbitrally making the decision without soliciting input of feedback.

I do not have a contract at HHI, though I have many other contracts at other resorts, and have stayed at HHI many times. Many of the HHI owners though that I chat with are are expressing concerns because, for them, not having B'lou and Shadow, impacts their overall experience. Like OKW owners, many HHI owners have had their contracts since the mid to late 90's, and for them, they have twenty years worth of memories with Shadow and B'lou. Twenty years of memories of kids and grandchildren growing up listening to B'lou perform, petting Shadow, and both of them being a fixture at the resort.

One HHI member told a story about how his son fell at the pool, hurt himself, and had to go to Urgent Care. After the family returned from Urgent Care, B'lou and Shadow paid a visit to their room to see how he was doing.. They stayed for about an hour talking with the young boy, playing the banjo and harmonica in the family's living room, all while Shadow serving as a bit of a therapy dog. That's a memory that that family will treasure forever.. That's an experience that you just won't get any other resort, including most Disney resorts.

All some of the HHI owners are asking for now is that DVC discuss this as an agenda topic at the Annual meeting and to come back with a proposal to bring B'lou and Shadow back. The petition, the media activity, and the B'lou and Shadow FB group are all tools to help drive that dicussion on the December 9th meeting.

#bringbackblouandshadow #DVC #disneyvacationclub

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter