Disney paying a “living wage”. Sigh…

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Work harder and get ahead" is absolutely the opposite of reality for the majority of people. Some of the hardest working people are the ones at the bottom of the totem pole of society, in the sevice industry/sector (public and private), and no amount of working harder ever translates into making more money for themselves.

The concept of "I suffered and therefore so should you" is outdated and selfish. It reeks of martyrdom.
People like you can never argue in good faith. Disneys not ever paying a living wage argument done.

Do people really know what Disney pays it's cast members or are they just repeating what they have been told or heard.
Has anyone besides me even looked at the union negotiated contract I mentioned several post ago?
Someone posted a cost of living calculator and I quoted cost for the four county's most Disney cast members come from.
This is what I posted for those of you who might not be able to find it.
There are jobs at Disney that the starting pay is close to or more the the information listed.

So taking into account the following county's that as far as I understand where most cast members live.
This would be the information as to what a minimum living wage would be for a single person with no children.
Orange $18.19 an hour
Lake $18.19 an hour
Polk $16.30 an hour
Osceola $18.19 an hour
With that information, a single person with no kids making what Disney starts new cast members at,($15.00 Dollars an hour is the lowest starting pay, there are jobs that start higher) to come close to that they would have to live in Polk County.
For that cast member living in Polk county, to surpass that number they would have to have at least three years or more with the company or have moved to a better paying job.
For cast members living in the other three county's they would have to be close to the top pay for that job I used as an example. As of this contract that would be $19.37 an hour.
The job I am using as an example would be for an Attractions host. Pay scale would be $15.00 minimum to $19.37 maximum.
I have heard the union covering most cast members is looking to up the starting wage to I think around $18.00 an hour.
By the way anyone looking at what the cast pay contract says for the many jobs this one union covers, search for the following,
This would be local 362, then under the Walt Disney World Bar, click WDW Full Time then scroll down and look for the 2017 Walt Disney Worlds Full Time Contract.
I would post a link but I am not sure if I an aloud to.

Yes. Burger King. And during college, I sold waterless cookware out of hotel conference rooms all over the midwest. I was in South Bend, Indiana 3 times before seeing Notred Dame.

The biggie though was I worked 3 years at a grocery store. Produce. Local #880 UFCW. I worked almost every Friday and Saturday night there during high school because my parents didn't want me working during the week. I couldn't play soccer (the coach asked me personally to try out) because I needed to keep the job.

Hardest worker I ever met in my life worked there. Pete Prcela. He was in his 20's, single, still living at home. They begged him to go into management but he refused. Just worked super hard, picked up as much overtime as he could, trained young guys, and never complained.

When he was 35, he left for a far better job, bought a house here in Cleveland...and a small vineyard and some property in Italy.

Nothing at all got him there other than hard work.
Lol. I feel like there a lot missing between working at a grocery store until you're 35, getting a better job and buying a vineyard 😳

I don’t think anyone would argue that hard work is essential to success (unless you’re born into it) but it’s also not a guarantee. There are plenty of hard workers who never get out of the daily grind of just making ends meet. It usually takes some luck, meeting the right people, being in the right place at the right time etc. Also avoidance of bad luck like illness, accidents, legal trouble that can wipe out someone who doesn’t have supports in place.

There really should be a solid path to success for anyone willing and able to work hard but it doesn’t always work out.

Lol. I feel like there a lot missing between working at a grocery store until you're 35, getting a better job and buying a vineyard 😳

I don’t think anyone would argue that hard work is essential to success (unless you’re born into it) but it’s also not a guarantee. There are plenty of hard workers who never get out of the daily grind of just making ends meet. It usually takes some luck, meeting the right people, being in the right place at the right time etc. Also avoidance of bad luck like illness, accidents, legal trouble that can wipe out someone who doesn’t have supports in place.

There really should be a solid path to success for anyone willing and able to work hard but it doesn’t always work out.
No one is promised or guaranteed anything. All we can do is increase our odds. Best way to do that: hard work.

The story I told here is 100% true. From high school to his 30's all he did was live at home and save money.

By the way the highest starting pay per the contract would be for the following

ENTERTAINMENT TECH RIGGER, Staring pay $24.25 minimum to $31.07 maximum

The truth is they don’t redistribute wealth very well. They take it from everyone and give it to everyone, and average Nordic person has a lower standard of living than the average American. Except maybe for Norway because they built lots of oil rigs off their coasts.
Where are you getting the standard of living stat from? All the Scandinavian countries have significantly higher qualities of life than the USA.

Do people really know what Disney pays it's cast members or are they just repeating what they have been told or heard.
Has anyone besides me even looked at the union negotiated contract I mentioned several post ago?
Someone posted a cost of living calculator and I quoted cost for the four county's most Disney cast members come from.
This is what I posted for those of you who might not be able to find it.
There are jobs at Disney that the starting pay is close to or more the the information listed.

So taking into account the following county's that as far as I understand where most cast members live.
This would be the information as to what a minimum living wage would be for a single person with no children.
Orange $18.19 an hour
Lake $18.19 an hour
Polk $16.30 an hour
Osceola $18.19 an hour
With that information, a single person with no kids making what Disney starts new cast members at,($15.00 Dollars an hour is the lowest starting pay, there are jobs that start higher) to come close to that they would have to live in Polk County.
For that cast member living in Polk county, to surpass that number they would have to have at least three years or more with the company or have moved to a better paying job.
For cast members living in the other three county's they would have to be close to the top pay for that job I used as an example. As of this contract that would be $19.37 an hour.
The job I am using as an example would be for an Attractions host. Pay scale would be $15.00 minimum to $19.37 maximum.
I have heard the union covering most cast members is looking to up the starting wage to I think around $18.00 an hour.
By the way anyone looking at what the cast pay contract says for the many jobs this one union covers, search for the following,
This would be local 362, then under the Walt Disney World Bar, click WDW Full Time then scroll down and look for the 2017 Walt Disney Worlds Full Time Contract.
I would post a link but I am not sure if I an aloud to.
IOW, Disney pays about what the state actually pays the average EMT ($37.7K/yr - 18.26/hr). You know, the people with serious medical training who go out daily trying to save people's lives.

Maybe in Florida they consider someone starting and stopping Peter Pan or Small World the same as someone trying to save someone from an OD or getting someone to not bleed out in a car wreck.

What's missing from this whole thread is value for service rendered, relative worth, and considering the scope outside of just Disney.

Just sayin' . . .

The US has a much higher GDP per capita than most European countries.

If innovation is a factor, the US has more patents granted per year than all of Europe combined.

Happiness is subjective- very tough to gauge what that means.

IOW, Disney pays about what the state actually pays the average EMT ($37.7K/yr - 18.26/hr). You know, the people with serious medical training who go out daily trying to save people's lives.

Maybe in Florida they consider someone starting and stopping Peter Pan or Small World the same as someone trying to save someone from an OD or getting someone to not bleed out in a car wreck.

What's missing from this whole thread is value for service rendered, relative worth, and considering the scope outside of just Disney.

Just sayin' . . .
Typically, the majority of EMT’s in most communities are fire fighters.

How much do they make in Florida?

Thanks for the insult. It was.

But I won't stoop to that level- what was your larger point?

What insult?

The larger point is that working harder and working MORE are not the same thing. The entire discussion is that no one should have to work overtime or numerous jobs just to make ends meet.

And also, in your story about the guy who worked so hard, it doesn't sound like he worked any harder than anyone else, he just worked more, and saved up enough money to buy himself a house. Good for him.

But did he really get ahead? You say he refused to move into management. So he didn't ever get ahead, even though he could have taken a management role and likely cut his hours down. This is not an example of someone working harder and getting ahead. It's an example of someone working more and saving up to buy a house that probably cost well under a million and a half dollars, which is the median price of houses in my area right now.

Let's remember in 2022, it's a lot harder for someone working a service industry job to do what this man in your story did.

I can tell you lots of stories of hard working people who worked so hard day after day, but they were still on food stamps despite it, and then died young from having broken bodies and minds. My father in law was one of them. But you want to pretend those people don't exist.

What insult?

The larger point is that working harder and working MORE are not the same thing. The entire discussion is that no one should have to work overtime or numerous jobs just to make ends meet.

And also, in your story about the guy who worked so hard, it doesn't sound like he worked any harder than anyone else, he just worked more, and saved up enough money to buy himself a house. Good for him.

But did he really get ahead? You say he refused to move into management. So he didn't ever get ahead, even though he could have taken a management role and likely cut his hours down. This is not an example of someone working harder and getting ahead. It's an example of someone working more and saving up to buy a house that probably cost well under a million and a half dollars, which is the median price of houses in my area right now.

Let's remember in 2022, it's a lot harder for someone working a service industry job to do what this man in your story did.

I can tell you lots of stories of hard working people who worked so hard day after day, but they were still on food stamps despite it, and then died young from having broken bodies and minds. My father in law was one of them. But you want to pretend those people don't exist.

Let’s start at the bottom and work up:

Of course there are many people who work hard and can’t get where they want. I don’t deny it and I don’t pretend they don’t exist.

There are always conditions- internal and external- that make success difficult.

I fully stipulate this. Now- can we agree that there are many people who are where they are today primarily because of hard work?

Working harder is kind of a misnomer. It is really working smarter. An example is not just taking on more projects but taking highly visible projects to put yourself in line for promotions. Real success, outside of people born into it by circumstance, is about being strategic and looking a few moves down the road. Taking a job but looking at what the next few steps up the ladder will be, accepting lateral moves if it puts you in line for faster advancement, even taking steps back if it will lead to better positions down the line.

A career takes a lot of time and planing and a little luck but you have to put yourself in the place to benefit from the luck. A metaphor I use a lot is you are lucky if the guy leading the race pulls a muscle and drops out so you can win but you had to put yourself in second place in order to benefit from that luck.

Working harder is kind of a misnomer. It is really working smarter. An example is not just taking on more projects but taking highly visible projects to put yourself in line for promotions. Real success, outside of people born into it by circumstance, is about being strategic and looking a few moves down the road. Taking a job but looking at what the next few steps up the ladder will be, accepting lateral moves if it puts you in line for faster advancement, even taking steps back if it will lead to better positions down the line.

A career takes a lot of time and planing and a little luck but you have to put yourself in the place to benefit from the luck. A metaphor I use a lot is you are lucky if the guy leading the race pulls a muscle and drops out so you can win but you had to put yourself in second place in order to benefit from that luck.
Agreed. Another analogy I like is that you never know when you’ll get a winning lottery ticket, but you can scratch as many of them as you desire.

His are objective. Yours are subjective.
Yours equates GDP to happiness, which is not true.

The GDI inputs several objective, measurable statistics into a formula to get the number: https://hdr.undp.org/data-center/human-development-index#/indicies/HDI
Gross income per person is one factor, but not the only one.

The happiness index uses survey data combined with other objective factors, so there is a little bit of wiggle room, but everything is one with significant sample sizes and confidence intervals.

Yours equates GDP to happiness, which is not true.

The GDI inputs several objective, measurable statistics into a formula to get the number: https://hdr.undp.org/data-center/human-development-index#/indicies/HDI
Gross income per person is one factor, but not the only one.

The happiness index uses survey data combined with other objective factors, so there is a little bit of wiggle room, but everything is one with significant sample sizes and confidence intervals.
Now you’re equating quality of life with happiness. The fact is there’s no single factor to determine whose quality of life is best.

Perhaps people vote with their feet- what countries do people most come to and leave from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter