Disney Photography Tips

Thanks for this great site. I have disney pictures that total 10's of thousands, but I am always trying to improve on my amateur techniques.

I also have a point and shoot camera that we bought especially for our trip in September-October, and I am really worried that I am going to get it all wrong and the shots of spectro and fireworks will be really poor. Just like the above poster, I would welcome and appreciate any and all help you might be able to give. I don't trust the 'heart' setting on this thing but I do usually use auto mode for things and they come out very well, just highly doubt this will apply to night shots. I have a Canon Powershot SX120 IS -

http://www.photographyblog.com/review/canon_powershot_sx120_is_review/

Many Thanks in advance

Just so you know.... you'll be shooting the Main Street Electrical Parade now. It has been extended for a while.

If you want fireworks pictures, you're going to need to bring your tripod.

Does any one have a quick photo tip guide. Something small like one page that just gives so basic tips like pictures at night, f/stop, etc. I will be leaving in two days, so sorry for the short notice.

What a great thread! :goodvibes

I'm wondering what some of you use as your 'walking around' settings. Do you switch from manual to another mode so your always ready to capture an unexpected moment? Or have you found a 'magic' setting that keeps your camera ready for those moments when you're more focused on your vacation than on pictures but want to be ready just in case.

What a great thread! :goodvibes

I'm wondering what some of you use as your 'walking around' settings. Do you switch from manual to another mode so your always ready to capture an unexpected moment? Or have you found a 'magic' setting that keeps your camera ready for those moments when you're more focused on your vacation than on pictures but want to be ready just in case.

Walking around, I use the P Program mode on continuous (no continuous AF). If I get a surprise shot to take, I whip up the camera, get an auto-focus on the first shot, get myself still, and take a burst of shots. Here the camera is somewhat automatic, but you can tweak a couple of settings to your taste.

Some shots you just have to cross your fingers on because you won't have time to set up manual settings. For me, Auto and P seem to work best for surprise shots. I usually burst, correct position, burst, correct, burst as if I were taking 3 single shots. It gives me around 9 well placed photos to choose the best of later on my computer. How often does a pic look great on the camera LCD, and blurry at home? This increases your odds of a good shot.

Walking around, I use the P Program mode on continuous (no continuous AF). If I get a surprise shot to take, I whip up the camera, get an auto-focus on the first shot, get myself still, and take a burst of shots. Here the camera is somewhat automatic, but you can tweak a couple of settings to your taste.

Some shots you just have to cross your fingers on because you won't have time to set up manual settings. For me, Auto and P seem to work best for surprise shots. I usually burst, correct position, burst, correct, burst as if I were taking 3 single shots. It gives me around 9 well placed photos to choose the best of later on my computer. How often does a pic look great on the camera LCD, and blurry at home? This increases your odds of a good shot.

I rarely like the quality of my shots on auto so I just took a few shots in my living room to compare and the program mode is much better! Thank you!

Just so you know.... you'll be shooting the Main Street Electrical Parade now. It has been extended for a while.

If you want fireworks pictures, you're going to need to bring your tripod.

Haven't checked this thread for a while sorry! I recently purchased a gorilla pod so I am hoping to just stake out a good spot. We are there for 14 nights so I think I am going to go in on the first few tries and experiment with what works and go from there. I am going to read up a little bit first but I don't have high expectations with this point and shoot, I will get an SLR camera one day though :goodvibes

Hi all

First time on this part of the site so apologise if this questino has already been answered.

There are lots of fantastic photos on this sitem, and being a budding photographer I can clearly see that most of them have been taken on DSLRs. My question is though, if you take your SLR into the parks to get those great photos, where do you put it when you are on rides? The only reason I ask is because at theme parks here in the UK I wouldnt dream of leaving my camera by the side of the ride whilst I am on it.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Hi all... where do you put it when you are on rides?

I bought a backpack/camera bag. Top part is compartment for perosnal stuff, bottom well insulated camera bag, Tamrac. it fit my Nikon D60, a point and shoot, video camera and two lenses. Bought for around $80 at Ritz Camera. Most rides have spot to put the bag in while riding. (Mesh compartment) If I am riding Splash Mountain, usually I leave with a trusted person, wife/ inlaws, etc. when i ride. This trip i was able to bring the camera bag on almost everyride, except the thrill rides like rollercoasters.

This is my favorite thread as I am learning how to take better pictures. One question: Are you shooting in RAW while taking these shots? The slower interval between shots seems like you might miss a good opportunity on occasions.

This is my favorite thread as I am learning how to take better pictures. One question: Are you shooting in RAW while taking these shots? The slower interval between shots seems like you might miss a good opportunity on occasions.

If you're talking about holding down the shutter release while in Continuous Mode, most cameras still shoot fairly quickly to where you won't miss out on something. But if you're trying to go too long during a stretch, the buffer might get too full, and the camera will hang up some. But mostly, you should be alright. And if you're doing quick single shots, you won't have any problems.

Also, getting a faster memory card will help for those Continuous shots.

Hey all,
My girlfriend and I are leaving in 9 days for Disney and just wanted to revive this thread in hopes of some last minute tips!

I'll be bringing my Olympus XZ-1 w/ a 16gb memory card, an extra battery, and an SLR style gorillaPod.

-General tips would be awesome!!(I did read the entire thread so no need to repeat)
-I'm also wondering about how Disney feels about photos/videos on rides. Is it allowed? What about in shops, restaurants, queues, shows, etc...

Thanks all!

Hey all,
My girlfriend and I are leaving in 9 days for Disney and just wanted to revive this thread in hopes of some last minute tips!

I'll be bringing my Olympus XZ-1 w/ a 16gb memory card, an extra battery, and an SLR style gorillaPod.

-General tips would be awesome!!(I did read the entire thread so no need to repeat)
-I'm also wondering about how Disney feels about photos/videos on rides. Is it allowed? What about in shops, restaurants, queues, shows, etc...

Thanks all!

Here's a question I can answer!

Most rides are allowed, some are just no flash. Others, they don't mention it at all. I've taken pictures in restaurants, queues, shows, outside, inside etc. Most of WDW is very accepting of photography. In fact there are threads here on the Dis of pictures of restaurants (and food), stores in the parks, stores in the hotels, and there are many ride and show pictures as well. Good luck and have fun!

That sounds perfect! Thanks!

I thought of another question...

This will be my first time carrying something other than a pocketable point and shoot. Do you all find it somewhat inconvenient to carry your cameras or is it fairly easy to tote it around on rides? I have a strap and small bag to store everything. I'm just a little worried it might end up being a hassle.

That sounds perfect! Thanks!

I thought of another question...

This will be my first time carrying something other than a pocketable point and shoot. Do you all find it somewhat inconvenient to carry your cameras or is it fairly easy to tote it around on rides? I have a strap and small bag to store everything. I'm just a little worried it might end up being a hassle.

I am going to WDW Friday for the Night of Joy. This will be my first trip with a RapidStrap and I am eager to see how it works with my Sony A580. It has pockets for extra batteries and cards. I like how the camera hangs so that it is in the small of my back and protected when I carry it. I will post a comment about it when I get back on the 9th. I have had trips where I carried just the camera itself because of the heat, and it wasn't bad. I just couldn't change lens from my 18-200mm lens to my 50mm prime for the dark rides. I did ok on the rides without a bag for my camera, but did make sure I held it to try to protect it as much as I could. On my last trip for my birthday in July, I took a waterproof point and shoot and left my Sony at home. I much prefer having my Sony!! I will carry a plastic bag in my pocket to protect it on water rides, etc. I like the flexibility of my DSLR.

Hey all,

Thanks all!

If the ride states no flash photography, I don't do it. I did get yelled at over the loudspeaker on Dinosaur for having my DSLR out and I was NOT taking flash pictures. If the ride states no photography, I follow their rules. I have an alien from Toy Story that I take with me and I take pictures of my LGM everywhere. Most castmembers and guests are so cool with this, and it makes for great pictures too. I have a picture of my LGM on the front door of the haunted mansion at Disneyland and the castmember helped me get it. They are great about photos as long as you respect their requests regarding flash/no flash (POTC and Haunted Mansion) or NO pictures (Monster's Inc Laugh Floor). They will let you know if you are not following the rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter