~~~Disney pin exchange time!!~~~.....CLOSED!

We'd like to trade. How does this work?

And DD has a collection off of CM lanyards. I am not an expert and I can't tell scrappers from non-scrappers.

Specifically though, I found a "fake" one today in our collection ONLY because my daughter traded for a Minnie pin yesterday (that I couldn't talk her out of) and we happen to have a duplicate at home. I compared the two and noticed that Minnie's legs showing through the dress was pink rather than black. It's one of those artistic skinny Minnie pins. That's the 1st time I've noticed a pin that was fake and it was VERY disappointing that we got that off the CM Pin board. It was actually the CM who suggested this pin to my daughter since the CM thought it was girly. :(

Sorry Jessica I dont...
Lilpooh, that stinks about the Minnie pin! But it sadly happens alot. The very first pin I traded for was a counterfeit but I have kept for my own use because of its memories :)

It does happen a lot................I just look on pinpics and go by their description. They usually say if there is a warning of a lot of scrappers circulating.

As to how it works, you get a name......send that person 2 pins and some one else will send you two pins (or with this small of an exchange could be the same person sending).
Each exchange you sign up for is for 2 pins.

Thanks everyone for checking! It is amazing how hard it is to find boardwalk pins.

As for scrappers, one of my easiest ways to figure it out in the park is the coloring.

To my fellow pin traders... Is it proper to ask a cast member to take off the pin to look at it before you trade? I know I got a few scrappers last year trading and realized it because of the back of the pin.

Thanks for the info!!

So looking forward to this exchange!

Thanks everyone for checking! It is amazing how hard it is to find boardwalk pins.

As for scrappers, one of my easiest ways to figure it out in the park is the coloring.

To my fellow pin traders... Is it proper to ask a cast member to take off the pin to look at it before you trade? I know I got a few scrappers last year trading and realized it because of the back of the pin.

Thanks for the info!!

So looking forward to this exchange!

What do you look for in terms of coloring? I usually look at the eyes and the lines...sometimes I feel the pin and see if it's flat v. raised. I'm still new to this though.

Meriweather...I think I will skip out this time, but will join in on the next exchange. I realized that I have too much to do for our FE exchange and I was just being optimistic. Thanks to everyone for the scrapper pin lesson!

I was looking at my pins, and have a Donald 2010 pin that is skinnier than the others. Then I have some that are even thicker. This Donald Pin was off a board at OKW. Do all scrappers feel thin?

So excited!

Does anyone on here happen to have boardwalk pins? When we were on our honeymoon all of wdw including boardwalk were out of there own pins last year. Check out Jessica527 on pinpics for my collection. I would be willing to really trade anything!

Looking forward to our normal exchange too!

I might have a boardwalk pin, need to check. I had one last week but not sure if I traded it out or not. Send me a PM to remind me. I am a bit scatterbrained this week with all the appointments I have going on. It's spring break so I try to cram everything in when the kids don't have school so I don't have to pull them.

I would like to do this. I will send in my info.

What do you look for in terms of coloring? I usually look at the eyes and the lines...sometimes I feel the pin and see if it's flat v. raised. I'm still new to this though.

Meriweather...I think I will skip out this time, but will join in on the next exchange. I realized that I have too much to do for our FE exchange and I was just being optimistic. Thanks to everyone for the scrapper pin lesson!

I will send some examples tonight. Sometimes a red is more of a pink. I know I received a grumpy one once that was more pink then red, but didn't realize it till after I traded it. I will put some examples up so you know what I mean.

I might have a boardwalk pin, need to check. I had one last week but not sure if I traded it out or not. Send me a PM to remind me. I am a bit scatterbrained this week with all the appointments I have going on. It's spring break so I try to cram everything in when the kids don't have school so I don't have to pull them.

I would like to do this. I will send in my info.

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing what you have!

Everyone is welcome to join!!

Bobbi, not all scrappers are thin...........and some "real" pins are thin too.

Everyone is welcome to join!!

Bobbi, not all scrappers are thin...........and some "real" pins are thin too.

Scrappers can be hard to detect. A really good indication is brush strokes in the paint. If you tilt them in the light, they are pretty obvious, whereas genuine Disney pins tend to be more smooth and you are less likely to see those. Another good indication of scrappers are rough, sharp edges, pieces of paint missing, wrong colors (very obviously wrong - like greenish skin hues, etc.), deep divets in the paint and things like that. However, genuine Disney pins can have those as well. I bought some Hollywood Studios mystery boxes with the clapboard pins direct from Disney and opened them to find Divets in a couple of my pins. I had an Epcot 30th anniversary mystery box with a heavily scratched pin in it that should never have gotten past quality control. Not all Disney pins are perfect, and sometimes scrappers look better than the originals. But, generally, they are pretty easy to spot if you spend enough time looking at Disney pins. It took me years to learn about scrappers and to tell the difference because I didn't even know they existed, but once I knew what to look for, they got pretty easy to spot. I think we all have scrappers in our collections, whether we know it or not. I know I do, but won't part with them because I don't have a legit pin to replace them with.

Scrappers can be hard to detect. A really good indication is brush strokes in the paint. If you tilt them in the light, they are pretty obvious, whereas genuine Disney pins tend to be more smooth and you are less likely to see those. Another good indication of scrappers are rough, sharp edges, pieces of paint missing, wrong colors (very obviously wrong - like greenish skin hues, etc.), deep divets in the paint and things like that. However, genuine Disney pins can have those as well. I bought some Hollywood Studios mystery boxes with the clapboard pins direct from Disney and opened them to find Divets in a couple of my pins. I had an Epcot 30th anniversary mystery box with a heavily scratched pin in it that should never have gotten past quality control. Not all Disney pins are perfect, and sometimes scrappers look better than the originals. But, generally, they are pretty easy to spot if you spend enough time looking at Disney pins. It took me years to learn about scrappers and to tell the difference because I didn't even know they existed, but once I knew what to look for, they got pretty easy to spot. I think we all have scrappers in our collections, whether we know it or not. I know I do, but won't part with them because I don't have a legit pin to replace them with.

Great post, thanks for sharing your insight.

only a few more hours...........anyone else?

ZoeisMommy...........are you going to join us?? I need your info within the next few hours.

Thanks for the information about scrapers.

I'm looking forward to this exchange!

Bobbi:goodvibes

I will close it at 7:30 pm ..............so hurry and get those names in........that's only 3 3/4 hours.

Hello again!

I found a great you tube to explain the different between the actual pin and scrapper. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKHFqqfE1J8

It is amazing how hard it is to tell sometimes but I have learned some specific things over the years:

1) Scrappers mickeys on the back don't go to the edge.
2) The color can be slightly different
3) Some backs are silver vs. they were supposed to be another color
4) Color can be different vs. actual
5) The edges can be rough

Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter