Disney pro - clueless about Universal

Studios94

Mouseketeer
My family (me, husband, 3 kids age 16, 14, 11) have been planning to do a resort only trip 3/24-4/1. We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge in the Bolder Ridge DVC villas.

Just yesterday, we started to think about going to Universal. We’ve done Disney dozens of times but have never been to Universal. The kids love roller coaster and we’re all big HP fans.

We can’t change our hotel reservation to one of the Universal hotels that offers Express Pass as we’d lose DVC points. If I buy 1 day / 2 park tickets with Express Pass the cost is $2,204 (yikes!). Universal has a deal to buy a 3 day / 2 park ticket with 2 free days for a total of $1,634.

For you Universal experts, I have several questions:
1 Am I better off buying the multi day ticket and going during the less busy times of the day over several days rather than shelling out $$$ for the one day Express Pass option?

2. Is Universal like Disney in that if you get their way before park opening you can beat the worst of the crowds? We have been the first family on FOP, TT, 7DMT many times so we know how to bust it in the morning. :)

3. Or, would we be better off going in the evening each day in the hope the crowds will die down?

4. We are good with using single rider lines whenever that is an option. Knowing we’ll be there during a busy time, would we be okay relying on single rider rather than getting Express Pass if we did a single day at Universal?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Hi
Not an expert,,, still learning myself but
we did a trip a few years ago and did one night at Royal Pacific Resort for 1 night which gave us Express Pass to the parks for two days...(day of check in,,, hoped an uber over from Disney at 6:30 am checked in and left a couple bags with Bell services),,we then headed to the Parks.
Stayed one night ,,again dropped our bag off at Bell services in the morning and head out to the Parks.. when we got back we just uber over to Disney's Old Key West.
You could also just use the room as a throwaway room. (As in check in /check out but don't actually stay in the room. I know expensive room ,,, but those passes (room keys) are priceless.
Feel free to ask questions and Best wishes
Mel

P.S
I personally don't find the crowds die down,,, more ebb and flow all day/night.

P.S.S.
I am also going to warn you that once you come over to the Darkside there maybe no return ...lol.
I love going to Universal now more than Disney.

Last edited:
We can’t change our hotel reservation to one of the Universal hotels that offers Express Pass as we’d lose DVC points. If I buy 1 day / 2 park tickets with Express Pass the cost is $2,204 (yikes!). Universal has a deal to buy a 3 day / 2 park ticket with 2 free days for a total of $1,634.
You might consider a "split stay" situation. The Uni hotels that give you EP do so for both your check-in and check-out day... so one night gives you two days of EP, often enough to ride pretty much everything.
1 Am I better off buying the multi day ticket and going during the less busy times of the day over several days rather than shelling out $$$ for the one day Express Pass option?
Hm, tough one. The tipping point might have to do with crowd level. There are definitely crowd levels at which you don't "need" EP. But we probably visited at that kind of level and still appreciated it.
2. Is Universal like Disney in that if you get their way before park opening you can beat the worst of the crowds? We have been the first family on FOP, TT, 7DMT many times so we know how to bust it in the morning. :)
YES: Like disney, the "turnstiles let you through" time is often before the stated time, like by as much as 15 minutes. And rope drop means being there in time to be toward the front of the crowd. Some differences: Although Disney's security has gotten easier, Universal has airport-style metal detectors and makes you put bags through a scanner. Allow some time simply for security. You can get a shorter security line when waiting for the water taxi, but then the water taxi probably takes longer to get you to the park.

As far as the value of rope drop, yeah, it's universally (heh) true that folks sleep in and afternoon crowds are higher. As at Disney, you can get a lot of value out of rope drop by not going where everybody else is, but somewhere else. You can enjoy the Wizarding World areas with more room to see everything instead of elbow-to-elbow hordes, or ride pretty much any second-string ride with a walk-on.

The two big rope-dropping rides are Hagrid's and Velocicoaster, which don't accept EP. But everything is thrown for a loop now because Hagrid's is down, and Velocicoaster is accepting EP as a consolation. Even at normal times, it was actually a bad idea to rope-drop Velo, as its times actually go down as the day goes on. I'm guessing this change will just exacerbate that. Looks like Hagrids' closure ends just after your visit. A pity, it's a genuinely great ride; if I were you I'd actually change my dates if I could (unless you foresee a second visit in your future).
3. Or, would we be better off going in the evening each day in the hope the crowds will die down?
Yes, evening is also nice. Not as good as morning, but you can do the familiar trick of hopping on a ride at park close. We went on a 40-degree winter evening and found Diagon Alley near empty.
4. We are good with using single rider lines whenever that is an option. Knowing we’ll be there during a busy time, would we be okay relying on single rider rather than getting Express Pass if we did a single day at Universal?
I didn't test out a lot of single rider, but it does definitely help. I got separated from my party when rope-dropping Hagrid; with our timing, the wait was about 90 minutes, and I shaved ca 20 minutes off it. You can't always count on the single-rider line being open at rope-drop, though.

BTW, see these two threads for similar "long time disney, first time uni" folks:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...inute-please-help-with-your-best-tip.3910575/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/sons-first-trip-help.3909801/

I would 100% do several days w/o EP vs 1 jam packed EP day trying to cram in as much as possible.
However, if it's an option to book one night at an EP resort, that would be most ideal (whether or not you actually enter the room - 2 days of EP for 5 people would be worth the cost of the room).

But without EP, I'd still go even during a crazy busy spring break time. Popping in for the morning, going back to rest for the afternoon, and coming back for the evening will allow you to skip the busiest times, and to keep everyone from tiring out too much.
Mornings & evenings are your friends. Poor forecast days are also your friends...
The Universal Orlando App is your friend - it'll have the wait times, the show schedules, park hours, maps, restaurant menus/prices, etc.
The single rider lines are your friends also, especially if the family splits up for certain rides / re-rides (of the big coasters, Hulk in particular has a very productive single rider line).

Also, do the math - you might save money upgrading one person to the Preferred AP to get free parking - then you'd also get discounts on food/merchandise throughout the resorts.

Single rider lines at Universal, all subject to availability:
Men in Black (usually walkon)
Forbidden Journey (usually very short, and you can't see/interact w/ each other on the ride anyways - however you miss the entire queue so this is best for rerides)
Gringotts (miss queue & preshow, best for rerides)
Mummy
Spiderman
Transformers
Velocicoaster (hit or miss, can be quite slow)
Hagrids (not very fast, almost always end up in the sidecar)
Rip Ride Rocket (slowwww)

We often keep our WDW hotel room but book HRH for one night during our stay. We get an Uber/Lyft over at 6am, check in/pick up our express passes, drop our bags and then use EE for Hagrids. The great thing about UOR is that you can be bag free and just use a lanyard, and the parks are a very short and safe walk from the premier hotels. Easy to have a break mid afternoon or let your children visit the parks alone for a while. We tend to focus on Studios one day and IOA the other, but you can skip from one to the other either using Hogwarts Express or the short walk between the main entrances.

Forbidden Journey (usually very short, and you can't see/interact w/ each other on the ride anyways - however you miss the entire queue so this is best for rerides)
Gringotts (miss queue & preshow, best for rerides)
Oh yeah; strongly discourage using single-rider on the first time through these rides, as the queue amounts to an attraction in itself. Forbidden Journey is basically an opportunity to tour Hogwarts castle. For that matter, even if somebody winds up not riding it (it's possibly the worst offender for motion sickness), it's nice to walk the queue and exit before the ride.

Since everyone else has already given you great advice (especially to get a throwaway room if possible In the budget, and available, since you have 5) I will give my opinion on the length of stay, since you are willing to be there early and you said you are big HP fans I would choose length of days over one day with Express. The Express pass doesn’t help with magic windows or just wanting enough time to enjoy the HP areas (they are amazing) or shopping…or food lines… all of those are very crowded at busy times. Its better to have more days to prioritize rides, HP lands, single rider lines for re-rides.

I'm not a Universal expert in the slightest (first trip this summer!), but I've read that buying your tickets through a travel agent is another way to get Early Admission, so that might be something you could look into.

Another vote for more days! I enjoy Universal but it is much smaller than the Disney universe so in 5 days you will have plenty of time to ride the hit attractions. Agree with the previous posters on early mornings with a return in the evening. We just got back from a trip to Universal for my son’s 16th birthday. I had surgery not too long ago so mostly relaxed in the room. They had fun! If we come back and don’t stay on property, would definitely take the ferry to one of the resort hotels for a lunch or snack and to cool off. The lines for snacks were pretty crazy this past Saturday. Portofino Bay had a nice looking gelateria plus a bar and sit down restaurant right in the little harbor where the ferry arrives. We’ve eaten at Royal Pacific too. The only park where I’ve ever gotten heat exhaustion was Islands of Adventure. So stay cool when you can and hydrated!

Last edited:
If you stay at one of the resorts that gives you "free Express pass", your planning is get in line early for hagrids and Velocicoaster, and plan the meals where you want reservations.
Noting else matters. Every other ride/attraction uses Express Pass, so you skip most of the line. Compared to WDW, going to Universal is stress free.

Last edited:
And actually dining reservations aren’t as stressful as WDW. For cheap and cheerful outside the parks the premier hotels have nice pool bars serving food, and SSprings has a good tapas bar. Bubba Gump doesn’t take reservations and gives priority seating to Landry members and the outside aeroplane area of Margaritaville, or the bar tables inside always has tables. In the parks, I have always been able to get a walk up table at Lombards, which does a decent lobster roll (nice sitting out on the balcony if it’s open). Maybe book The LC/3 BSs if you want to eat at a particular time. You can really just go with the flow at UOR.

My family (me, husband, 3 kids age 16, 14, 11) have been planning to do a resort only trip 3/24-4/1. We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge in the Bolder Ridge DVC villas.

Just yesterday, we started to think about going to Universal. We’ve done Disney dozens of times but have never been to Universal. The kids love roller coaster and we’re all big HP fans.

For you Universal experts, I have several questions:

Thank you in advance for any help!
Get annual pass. This gives you park hopper and Harry Potter train.

Do Bounre Stuntacular early in trip. It’s the best thing there and you may want to watch it again.

Do Hagrid during day and also once when it is dark.

Take ferry to Porto Fino bay and eat at pizza cafe. Great view of harbor.

Do diagon alley first then train to Hogwarts like in movie.

Learn strategy for men in black shooting game on internet

have been planning to do a resort only trip 3/24-4/1. We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge in the Bolder Ridge DVC villas.
Unfortunately, you are just outside the 30 day cancellation period. I’d have suggested a 50-50 split trip & to bank the remainder of your points.
Tickets:

Assume you don’t have a “grandfathered’ DVC discounted WDW AP in hand.

IMO Genie+ is not comparable to the onsite EP

Using UT pricing:

WDW cost of five day base tix Starting 3/25 is $584 pp, not including genie +. PH is $652.

U five day P2P tix is $335...giving you substantial savings to add on EP for at least one or two days, if desired.

Park Entry Strategy:

Don’t underestimate the amount of time it will take you to reach the U gates from WLV. I’d start out in whatever park doesn’t have onsite EE your first day.

if you have a car:

I-4 can be wildly busy in the AM to point traffic crawls along. Suggest taking surface roads, map it out beforehand, several different routes available.

the entry to the U parking garage is the largest I’ve seen, can also get backed up with those trying to make rope drop.

If you want to rope drop U your first day, I’d allot 1.15 hours from the time you leave your resort to the park gates, if not longer. you can adjust your departure time accordingly the following days. If early, can browse citiwalk and get a lay of the land for the rest of the trip.

If you are driving, I’d normally suggest upgrading at least one tix when you arrive at Guest Services, the power pass generally works. However, your trip falls over power pass black out dates at studios.

Believe you’d need to bump up to Preferred. You’d need to run the numbers & verify if it would work for you @ Guest Services. If you do decide to upgrade while in the park, don’t waste the time to do it in the morning as there is usually a long line. While they won’t refund your first day parking fee, you won’t have to pay parking the rest of the vacation.

Have fun exploring the dark side ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter