Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Perhaps when cables are being installed they would block certain areas. But they're taking their time to get to that point.
Yes when cables need to be installed sure. Towers shouldn't need road closures though. They are actually ahead of schedule with the skyliner so they aren't really taking their time. They will wait until each station is ready for cables most likely and do them all at once since there are only a so many people who install gondola cables.

He said because they will be very close to the road. For safely while working
If I am thinking correctly these are the closest towers to actual roadways.

5C95AEC8-611F-49A6-B2B0-CB9FE9D5264E.jpg

That area shouldn't require a road closure until they are putting up the cable over the road.

They didn't much of any of the parking lot while putting them at DHS and most of those were done during the day.

Yes when cables need to be installed sure. Towers shouldn't need road closures though. They are actually ahead of schedule with the skyliner so they aren't really taking their time. They will wait until each station is ready for cables most likely and do them all at once since there are only a so many people who install gondola cables.

The cable shouldn't even cause closures for long if they need to, can't say I've ever watched a lift being installed over a popular road before, but the towers aren't really close enough to roads to require closing them. Minne Van driver is probably just concerned of getting messed up.

The time comment was just because I'm used to ski resorts and at those gondolas and lifts go up in a matter of weeks, where Disney is doing it in over the course of many months. Different type of projects, just this one seems slow to me solely for that reason.

The cable shouldn't even cause closures for long if they need to, can't say I've ever watched a lift being installed over a popular road before, but the towers aren't really close enough to roads to require closing them. Minne Van driver is probably just concerned of getting messed up.

The time comment was just because I'm used to ski resorts and at those gondolas and lifts go up in a matter of weeks, where Disney is doing it in over the course of many months. Different type of projects, just this one seems slow to me solely for that reason.
Yeah Ski resorts can get them up pretty quickly. Here it’s going to be a mass transit situation.

I have found this thread interesting and informative. I wasn't sure how this thing would work out when I first heard about it, but all the knowledge I have picked up here has really made me excited for the project. I'm so interested in it, I'v started having dreams about getting to be in the first group to ride it!

I don't understand the distinction.
A ski resort will get a gondola system up during the summer months while there is no snow.

The Disney Skyliner is a mass transit system It stretches across WDW, farther than some ski resort systems. The Disney system also has three distinct lines with several stations. Usually with a Ski resort you have a stop at the top and the bottom. The skyliner will also be moving a lot more people than a ski resort.

I don't understand the distinction.

The size and scale of this system is much bigger then anything at the ski resorts with a lot of things being added just for disney. The stations alone are much much bigger to start with and then the double loop thing that has been added, multiple stops and line. This is a far far bigger project then any ski resort plus having to do all the work while the parks are open and running and operational (ski resorts can often work on these during off season).

The size and scale of this system is much bigger then anything at the ski resorts with a lot of things being added just for disney. The stations alone are much much bigger to start with and then the double loop thing that has been added, multiple stops and line. This is a far far bigger project then any ski resort plus having to do all the work while the parks are open and running and operational (ski resorts can often work on these during off season).
Yep the stations are some of the longest ever built.

A ski resort will get a gondola system up during the summer months while there is no snow.

The Disney Skyliner is a mass transit system It stretches across WDW, farther than some ski resort systems. The Disney system also has three distinct lines with several stations. Usually with a Ski resort you have a stop at the top and the bottom. The skyliner will also be moving a lot more people than a ski resort.

Sorry guys, I wouldn't say Disney's lines are "way longer" than any ski resorts - there are gondolas that run 1-3 miles up the side of mountains, and they also have mid-point stations as well. An example that I've ridden is the Whistler Village gondola - which stretches 4998 meters (3.2 miles if you convert it) and rises 3,800 feet from base to top. It takes 18 minutes to ride bottom to top, and has a 1-way capacity of 2,640 people with 8 person cars. It also has a mid-point stop - which is the location of the child-care service center - you actually drop your kid off at the base - and they heard the little ones onto the gondolas and up the mountain. So to say Disney's routes are more intricate than what is already done isn't really the case.

The big thing to me that Disney has that you don't see a ski areas is adding the capacity for wheelchairs and ECVs. It's pretty rare that ski areas worry too much about mobility issues in the design of there ski lifts. I mean, yes there are people that are paralyzed that ski, but they have pretty good mobility.

Sorry guys, I wouldn't say Disney's lines are "way longer" than any ski resorts - there are gondolas that run 1-3 miles up the side of mountains, and they also have mid-point stations as well. An example that I've ridden is the Whistler Village gondola - which stretches 4998 meters (3.2 miles if you convert it) and rises 3,800 feet from base to top. It takes 18 minutes to ride bottom to top, and has a 1-way capacity of 2,640 people with 8 person cars. It also has a mid-point stop - which is the location of the child-care service center - you actually drop your kid off at the base - and they heard the little ones onto the gondolas and up the mountain. So to say Disney's routes are more intricate than what is already done isn't really the case.

The big thing to me that Disney has that you don't see a ski areas is adding the capacity for wheelchairs and ECVs. It's pretty rare that ski areas worry too much about mobility issues in the design of there ski lifts. I mean, yes there are people that are paralyzed that ski, but they have pretty good mobility.
They are some of the longest ever built according to lift blog.

From what I've read, the lift stations are the longest on record, with thetCBR station being one of the most complicated, and the line from CBR to Epcot through Riveria with a turn is one of the longest, most complex lines ever built.

Fingers crossed that it opens Memorial Day next year. We will be there probably the week after that, and I'd love to ride it. Especially like the idea to possibly just roll a stroller on since we will have the then 18 month old for his first WDW trip.

Looks like the Reedy Creek fire department is beefing up their aerial apparatus for potential rescues off the Gondolas. This was on display at the recent FDIC in Indianapolis: http://www.e-one.com/fdic-2018-141735 Lots of region flexibility it can reach 116' Up, out or any combination thereof.

Might also be needed because of the new hotel towers at Riviera and Coronado.

Yes these runs are some of the longest ever made and the stations are some of the most complex ever made. However, his entire system is flat, most of the systems at ski resorts are built on the side of the mountain which makes access even to put the towers into place extremely difficult. Many times, helicopters even have to be used to lift the completed towers into position. I think if you look at the overall complexity of the system construction this is probably one of the easier ones to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter