• Controversial Topics on DISboards.com. Several months ago I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in opt-out. Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

CBR is a like a hub - everyone will have to get off at CBR and change lines (unless you are getting on at CBR they you go right to your final destination after picking which of the 3 lines you want)

So in your above scenario option 3 is correct

Since there appears to be a "split" at CBR, how will Epcot guests get to DHS vs Pop?

1. Gondolas will go to DHS first, then loop to Pop, then return to CBR
2. Gondolas will alternate DHS vs Pop. Guests boarding at Epcot or Riviera will be told "this is a DHS gondola" or "this is a Pop gondola". <-- I'm hoping they don't do this
3. Guests going to Pop will get off at CBR and board a different gondola.

As others have said - three separate lines with CBR the hub. If you want to get from Epcot to DHS - go to CBR hub. The only "Direct" park routes will be (a) CBR to either Epcot or DHS and (b) Riviera to Epcot.

Nice. Looks like those really head down fast at the end, should be fun.

Yes, the DHS station always looked like they would have a fast rise out of the station. This is not uncommon at ski areas either. The idea here of course is to get them up above the buses and the parking lot.

If this information was posted elsewhere in this thread, I apologize. I found an example of an urban gondola system in a warm weather climate. In La Paz Bolivia, there is a 6 line (more lines to open in in the future), 20 station gondola system built by Doppelmayr and looks to have the same cars as Disney is using. The La Paz cars have solar panels but only for lights and wifi. The average temperature in Bolivia in July is 86 degrees. In the 141 reviews on TA, only one review mentioned anything about the cars being hot and that was only in the mornings when the sun was shining directly into the car. My belief is that due to the short amount of time between stations, there isn't enough time for heat to build up in the cars. The La Paz system is a huge success on several fronts. The La Paz system is also very safe with no operational mishaps to date.

Actually LaPaz is high in the mountains and the temperature rarely gets over 70 degrees F. Average temp for Bolivia and average for La Paz are completely different. So the weather is nowhere near the same.

My wife and I spent the night at the Waldorf Astoria for her Birthday and on the way home this morning we drove along Buena Vista Drive. I was able to get a good look at the towers for the stretch of the skyliner that parallels this road from the RCID Fire Station to the Boardwalk turn. They really aren't that tall in that stretch and considering that the cars themselves will hang below the cable they really aren't going to be very high off the ground. Also noted that there is a screen of trees between the skyliner route and the back stage areas of Epcot.

This almost makes me want to change my hotel to the CBR, just because I love new things and these look like they'll be super-fun. But if nothing else, I can always just take a ride on them anyway when I go resort-exploring.

This almost makes me want to change my hotel to the CBR, just because I love new things and these look like they'll be super-fun. But if nothing else, I can always just take a ride on them anyway when I go resort-exploring.
If it's convenient enough and quick enough I could see it being a new way of exploring resorts that would otherwise be more difficult (through busses or having to drive or uber) similar to how people go resort monorail hopping.

If it's convenient enough and quick enough I could see it being a new way of exploring resorts that would otherwise be more difficult (through busses or having to drive or uber) similar to how people go resort monorail hopping.

Those resorts will have to add some neat Lounges if they ever want something akin to the monorail pub crawl though......Sure Riviera will have something along that lines (if everyone can get in in is another question).

Those resorts will have to add some neat Lounges if they ever want something akin to the monorail pub crawl though......Sure Riviera will have something along that lines (if everyone can get in in is another question).
I was just thinking checking them out in general rather than something uber special.

For instance the first time I was inside Poly and the Grand Floridian was because we opted to do a quick resort monorail hopping on our most recent trip; the most I had seen of the Contemporary was when the monorail stopped there on the way to MK until we did the resort monorail hopping. We checked around the shops and explored a tiny bit but we weren't there for food, lounge or otherwise. It was an opportunity to see something we wouldn't have before in an easier way. That's what I was more thinking about with the Skyliner.

The resorts won't have the same draw necessarily as the Deluxe ones do aside from Riviera but nonetheless a way for some to explore what they may not otherwise explore if it proves to be convenient enough.

I was just thinking checking them out in general rather than something uber special.

For instance the first time I was inside Poly and the Grand Floridian was because we opted to do a quick resort monorail hopping on our most recent trip; the most I had seen of the Contemporary was when the monorail stopped there on the way to MK until we did the resort monorail hopping. We checked around the shops and explored a tiny bit but we weren't there for food, lounge or otherwise. It was an opportunity to see something we wouldn't have before in an easier way. That's what I was more thinking about with the Skyliner.

The resorts won't have the same draw necessarily as the Deluxe ones do aside from Riviera but nonetheless a way for some to explore what they may not otherwise explore if it proves to be convenient enough.

I think this would be a great idea if the Gondolas were more central to the main area of the resort. The Old Port Royale is going to be an awful long way from the Gondola, and even the Pop and AoA food courts won't be all that close to the gondola, so mostly it would be about if there was something worth visiting at the Riviera.

I think this would be a great idea if the Gondolas were more central to the main area of the resort. The Old Port Royale is going to be an awful long way from the Gondola, and even the Pop and AoA food courts won't be all that close to the gondola, so mostly it would be about if there was something worth visiting at the Riviera.

Its arguable that the Cars section of AoA is a must-see for fans of the franchise. Lifesize replicas of all the characters are a great photo op. And only a quick walk from the Generation Gap bridge.

I agree -- but it seems the exploring will be people staying at pop and CBR heading over to the boardwalk area to explore BW, yacht and beach--Which is great for them... but anyone who is expecting their typical easy paced BW experience might be disappointed....

I agree -- but it seems the exploring will be people staying at pop and CBR heading over to the boardwalk area to explore BW, yacht and beach--Which is great for them... but anyone who is expecting their typical easy paced BW experience might be disappointed....

I applaud anything that makes it easier to get to the Boardwalk. I've always thought Disney has done a poor job of getting people to the Boardwalk.

Love the Boardwalk!. Like all DVC resorts but the Boardwalk is great

When is this project slated to be completed, and the gondolas up and running? (sorry if it's been posted, but I read through several pages, and couldn't find it).

My wife and I spent the night at the Waldorf Astoria for her Birthday and on the way home this morning we drove along Buena Vista Drive. I was able to get a good look at the towers for the stretch of the skyliner that parallels this road from the RCID Fire Station to the Boardwalk turn. They really aren't that tall in that stretch and considering that the cars themselves will hang below the cable they really aren't going to be very high off the ground. Also noted that there is a screen of trees between the skyliner route and the back stage areas of Epcot.

People don't seem to want to believe this for some reason - but they really can keep them pretty low to the ground and fairly inconspicuous. Obviously the ones travelling above the DHS parking lot won't be hidden, but they still likely won't be more than 20 feet off the ground (the bottoms of the buckets.) The tallest of RVs/Buses are only about 15 feet high (not counting double deckers) so they just need to look at maximum heights and go 5-6 feet above that.

When is this project slated to be completed, and the gondolas up and running? (sorry if it's been posted, but I read through several pages, and couldn't find it).

The short answer: No one on here knows. The long answer: Most likely sometime in 2019, and probably by next summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter