Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I applaud anything that makes it easier to get to the Boardwalk. I've always thought Disney has done a poor job of getting people to the Boardwalk.

I always thought they did a good job of keeping people away from the boardwalk.... Good luck getting a seat in Abracadabar after this opens-- hard enough as it is with them having about 30 seats and all.... plus Big river is usually full just from the crowd staying at the resorts.... times they are a changing....

I always thought they did a good job of keeping people away from the boardwalk.... Good luck getting a seat in Abracadabar after this opens-- hard enough as it is with them having about 30 seats and all.... plus Big river is usually full just from the crowd staying at the resorts.... times they are a changing....

I actually took a survey once with a fine looking young lady holding an I Pad. Was walking in between ESPN and BWI when she asked me if I would like to answer some questions. First question was if I knew where the boardwalk was? pirate:
Now I drink, too much the Mrs. says but I think just about right, but that question had me stumped. I mean I was standing there in the middle of the Boardwalk. The survey continued and mostly it was about advertising for the Boardwalk. I was honest with them that I thought they didn't market it and they didn't get people over there but I still have to laugh at the first question to this day.

I actually took a survey once with a fine looking young lady holding an I Pad. Was walking in between ESPN and BWI when she asked me if I would like to answer some questions. First question was if I knew where the boardwalk was? pirate:
Now I drink, too much the Mrs. says but I think just about right, but that question had me stumped. I mean I was standing there in the middle of the Boardwalk. The survey continued and mostly it was about advertising for the Boardwalk. I was honest with them that I thought they didn't market it and they didn't get people over there but I still have to laugh at the first question to this day.
That's pretty funny-- chances are I would done a double take and questioned where I was.... wait--- I'm at the boardwalk, aren't I? Oh yeah, there's the bar...

That's pretty funny-- chances are I would done a double take and questioned where I was.... wait--- I'm at the boardwalk, aren't I? Oh yeah, there's the bar...

Oh man, I didn't think about more people with access to the boardwalk - though honestly this depends on how long they keep it running. If they close it down an hour after the parks close like they do with the buses, it really won't make a big difference to the Boardwalk. They would have to keep it running for a few hours to really spike this. Honestly I don't know how many more people they need at the Boardwalk, when we were there in February there sure seemed plenty of people around (our first of many stays there).

Oh man, I didn't think about more people with access to the boardwalk - though honestly this depends on how long they keep it running. If they close it down an hour after the parks close like they do with the buses, it really won't make a big difference to the Boardwalk. They would have to keep it running for a few hours to really spike this. Honestly I don't know how many more people they need at the Boardwalk, when we were there in February there sure seemed plenty of people around (our first of many stays there).
It's never been too crowded over the years (been going there since it was opened basically). And I've never had a slight issue getting into any of the restaurants. This significant boost to access could change all that.

People don't seem to want to believe this for some reason - but they really can keep them pretty low to the ground and fairly inconspicuous. Obviously the ones travelling above the DHS parking lot won't be hidden, but they still likely won't be more than 20 feet off the ground (the bottoms of the buckets.) The tallest of RVs/Buses are only about 15 feet high (not counting double deckers) so they just need to look at maximum heights and go 5-6 feet above that.
13'6" is actually the max height before you become over sized. So the gondolas only have to be that high. I'm sure they will be a little higher, but 20' at the most I think.

Back in the day they used to have a bus that ran from CSR to the Boardwalk in the evening. Their thinking was that since CSR was a convention resort that the guest would want to go hang out at the Boardwalk for the evening. This was 15-20 years ago and the Boardwalk was a hopping place at night with a bunch of performers, etc.

BW has been a favorite of ours for years...
Yeah closing after park close would help, but I'm thinking about non park days, evenings, or even afternoons-- MK in the morning, lets hit Big River for lunch and then go to Epcot....

If they take ubers back to their rooms it's wide open. Even though without the gondolas, people from other resorts certainly have the ability to leave epcot at closing and spend the evening at boardwalk and uber back, I think the addition of the gondolas will add a sort of awareness of the availability of access, since it will open up the IG to a large group that may not have even known it exists.

And as for as crowds for the boardwalk area, plenty of times there is standing room only at BRB, Abracadab, ESPN, and Jellyrolls.....

BW has been a favorite of ours for years...
Yeah closing after park close would help, but I'm thinking about non park days, evenings, or even afternoons-- MK in the morning, lets hit Big River for lunch and then go to Epcot....

If they take ubers back to their rooms it's wide open. Even though without the gondolas, people from other resorts certainly have the ability to leave epcot at closing and spend the evening at boardwalk and uber back, I think the addition of the gondolas will add a sort of awareness of the availability of access, since it will open up the IG to a large group that may not have even known it exists.

And as for as crowds for the boardwalk area, plenty of times there is standing room only at BRB, Abracadab, ESPN, and Jellyrolls.....

Really all they need to do is double the busses from BWI to Disney Springs. Because Springs is a bustling late night crowd, when we went to Boardwalk after park hours we would just take a bus to springs and catch a bus to our resort from their bus stop. Only problem is it seemed like there was only one bus on that route as we walked up once when it was leaving and then sat there for about 35-40 minutes (the bus also picked up Swalphin). If everyone knew that they had a direct quicker transport to the bus station at Springs, it might make a difference. Wonder if there is a closer place that they could do this though. Like maybe a "party bus" with it's own stop right by the ESPN. Link the two late night places together maybe...

upload_2018-7-28_8-35-43.png

I posted this on the news thread - but it's probably more appropriate here and I don't know if everyone reads both:

So - I saw this linked on FB - Riviera has received it's timeshare license. This is telling because the last three DVC Resorts got there licenses between 276 and 314 days of opening up the resort. If we assume a similar timeline - this says that Riviera is going to open up sometime around May or June of next year, which likely means it goes on sale shortly after the first of the year. This ALSO (to me anyways) indicates that the Skyliner system will be open by that point - May/June of 2019. That date is in-line with what everyone is thinking, but I think it really confirms the situation. It's unlikely they want ANYONE staying at Riviera that they have to bus to Epcot/DHS.

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resor...eshare-license-for-riviera-resort#prettyPhoto

I posted this on the news thread - but it's probably more appropriate here and I don't know if everyone reads both:

So - I saw this linked on FB - Riviera has received it's timeshare license. This is telling because the last three DVC Resorts got there licenses between 276 and 314 days of opening up the resort. If we assume a similar timeline - this says that Riviera is going to open up sometime around May or June of next year, which likely means it goes on sale shortly after the first of the year. This ALSO (to me anyways) indicates that the Skyliner system will be open by that point - May/June of 2019. That date is in-line with what everyone is thinking, but I think it really confirms the situation. It's unlikely they want ANYONE staying at Riviera that they have to bus to Epcot/DHS.

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resor...eshare-license-for-riviera-resort#prettyPhoto

Exciting

By the way, did snap a Skyliner pic of Walt's EPCOT model on MK's People Mover.

The far corner of the park, just like the current plans location.

enhance

I am glad to see Disney is going to attempt to theme/blend them in. They are definitely an eyesore in their current state.

There is no reason to believe they will be painted. The one by the IG was painted before it was put up, probably came from the factory that way. Since they pre-painted that one, it's unlikely they will paint the others now that they are up. The other are all galvanized steel which is hard to paint, but will require a lot less maintenance then the painted one.

The color is Disney's "no see green". I wish that all of the towers were painted but it seems that only the ones close to the stations will be.

:earsboy: Bill

There is no reason to believe they will be painted. The one by the IG was painted before it was put up, probably came from the factory that way. Since they pre-painted that one, it's unlikely they will paint the others now that they are up. The other are all galvanized steel which is hard to paint, but will require a lot less maintenance then the painted one.
You certainly get a nail on the head there. Galvanized steel is basically maintenance-free your most conditions and certainly will be here. Also once galvanized steel is extremely difficult to paint and even harder to get paint to adhere to it in the long term. I'm willing to bet that the towers that are painted aren't galvanized under the paint and instead are depending on the paint to protect the steel surfaces. Actually, over time the Galvanization will become somewhat dull instead of shiny and blend in quite well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter