Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Does anyone know if the spacing is a good approximation of what the finished product will be?

I’ve heard 14mph quoted - I think these are about that but just don’t want people to freak out if final is slightly faster or slower than videos

I’ve heard 14mph quoted - I think these are about that but just don’t want people to freak out if final is slightly faster or slower than videos
I was referring more to the distance between cars rather than the speed

I was referring more to the distance between cars rather than the speed

Oh, sorry, my bad. Honestly no one will know for sure. Based on other gondolas I have been on this spacing seems pretty so
Liar to others and definitely more on the “full capacity” side

I'm seeing ~12 1/2 seconds between cars. If cars can hold 10 people? Figure they will average 8, that's around 38 people per min, 2,280 people per hour. Each way on each line.

Let's ballpark some numbers.

Pop Century has 2880 rooms
Art of Animation has 1120 Family suites and 864 standard guest rooms.

Using and average of 5 for a family suite and 3 for a standard room.
Max guests between the two resorts is around 16,800
If half of them are going to Epcot or Studios, that's 8,000'ish guests.

which is something like 3 1/2 hours to move them all to the parks via the Skyliner

At 60 guests/bus the Skyliner will move the equivalent of 38 buses per hour.
Which is equivalent to nine buses/hour/park/resort.

Right now buses come every 20 min to each park at each resort. Three buses/hour/park/resort

The people the bus system can move in 20 min will take the Skyliner 7 min.

Last edited:
Dz4WyVQX0AE3ojH.jpg:large

This pic seems like something to specuate about...:rolleyes1

I'm seeing ~12 1/2 seconds between cars. If cars can hold 10 people? Figure they will average 8, that's around 38 people per min, 2,280 people per hour. Each way on each line.

Let's ballpark some numbers.

Pop Century has 2880 rooms
Art of Animation has 1120 Family suites and 864 standard guest rooms.

Using and average of 5 for a family suite and 3 for a standard room.
Max guests between the two resorts is around 16,800
If half of them are going to Epcot or Studios, that's 8,000'ish guests.

which is something like 3 1/2 hours to move them all to the parks via the Skyliner
I tried to do that math but it made my head hurt...it's a safe bet that they will not all make the trip in that time frame...maybe on the way back to their rooms.

So seeing the videos from higher speeds and from the station made me wonder--there appears to be a slight swinging motion when it takes off and then when it comes back into another station is that what would happen with people inside too?
Its a perfectly normal, expected motion due to the laws of physics. Remember our friend inertia? An object in motion tends to stay in motion and an object at rest tends to stay at rest.

What you see in the video when entering the station is the car coming off the haul rope and decelerating to station speed. At that point the car tries to keep moving resulting in the swing forward and then back. Similarly when departing the station, they clamp onto the haul rope and the top part starts to move faster while the car tries to stay at the same slow speed giving the back/forward swing. I'd guess the swing will actually be greater when loaded as there is more mass to accelerate or decelerate.

Its a perfectly normal, expected motion due to the laws of physics. Remember our friend inertia? An object in motion tends to stay in motion and an object at rest tends to stay at rest.

What you see in the video when entering the station is the car coming off the haul rope and decelerating to station speed. At that point the car tries to keep moving resulting in the swing forward and then back. Similarly when departing the station, they clamp onto the haul rope and the top part starts to move faster while the car tries to stay at the same slow speed giving the back/forward swing. I'd guess the swing will actually be greater when loaded as there is more mass to accelerate or decelerate.
Sir Isaac Newton at his finest ;)

So seeing the videos from higher speeds and from the station made me wonder--there appears to be a slight swinging motion when it takes off and then when it comes back into another station is that what would happen with people inside too?
I've been on similar systems. The feeling riding in a Skyliner car will not be all that different than what you feel inside a bus when it accelerates up to 12mph.

If you look at the images of the actual gondola on the first page those don't appear to be lights.
I agree that they look like just plastic bumpers to avoid damage from bumping into each other, but if they had some led lights they would look really cool flying thru the night.
The down side might be a lot of fender benders from people watching them at night from the parking lots and roads..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter