Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Going through the sheaves pretty smoothly. I'm assuming they don't have weight in them. Good to see them going. Have they run them on the Riviera line yet that anybody has seen?
Random question for you. Do they typically load test these systems with all the chairs/gondolas loaded? Seems like it would be a huge PIA.

I like the new signature too ;).

Yeah, looks like they are releasing every 12 seconds, which would give a capacity of 3000 people per hour.

By my numbers they are spaced further apart right now than they likely will be. They are probably pretty close to full speed, but not loading as many on the line. Should be spaced about 7-8 seconds apart when fully loaded.

By my numbers they are spaced further apart right now than they likely will be. They are probably pretty close to full speed, but not loading as many on the line. Should be spaced about 7-8 seconds apart when fully loaded.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. It'd also explain the wider spacing than normal in the station.

The Purple Line in La Paz, Bolivia, dispatches every 10 seconds, and is reported to have a capacity of 4000 pph. It's a Doppelmayr 10-MGD same as Skyliner, but I can't determine whether it's using D-Line technology.

Thoroughly enjoy how quickly they whisk away up and out of the station. That’s going to be amazing leaving the Generation Gap Bridge station.
Yeah, thats gonna make for some great videos!

The speed looks about right to be full speed. It's much like the speed of the Emirates Airline we have in London.

Do they typically load test these systems with all the chairs/gondolas loaded? Seems like it would be a huge PIA.
Testing needs to (eventually get to the point where it) simulate(s) operating conditions very closely. I bet they'll something like water barrels to simulate the weight of guests aboard.

I think we are also getting a glimpse of how the “double turnarounds” may function. Notice around the 50 second mark you glimpse a stationary carriage further back in the station that sits parked as the test units move continually through. I think as designed the station wheel system can vary speed through the station a bit to create the “hole” into which they could add the parked unit to the line. Pretty cool.

I think we are also getting a glimpse of how the “double turnarounds” may function. Notice around the 50 second mark you glimpse a stationary carriage further back in the station that sits parked as the test units move continually through. I think as designed the station wheel system can vary speed through the station a bit to create the “hole” into which they could add the parked unit to the line. Pretty cool.
Thats exactly right, the one in London does that for taking units out of the loop for less abled guests.

How does it work exactly when you get to the stations. So if I'm at AoA and want to go to Epcot, will I have to get off at carribean beach and get on another one and then get off at reviera and get on another one for epcot?

How does it work exactly when you get to the stations. So if I'm at AoA and want to go to Epcot, will I have to get off at carribean beach and get on another one and then get off at reviera and get on another one for epcot?

You will get off at CBR, you should not have to get off at Riviera.

What video shows this?

Yes, there is a cabin parked on the outer loop, but it looks like the spacing of the 3 cabins online is the same in the load area as it is in the unload. On both sides, the space between 1st & 2nd is about double as between 2nd & 3rd cabins.

What you are seeing is the cabins speed up as they enter the turnaround and slow down when they reach the load area. That makes them further apart in the turnaround than in the load & unload. I think that's designed to prevent them bumping as they rotate thru the turnaround. You'll see the same behavior if you look at videos of other similar systems.

They may be able to open up a hole to add in a cabin, but I don't think you're seeing it in this video. LiftBlog says most of the drive wheels run at a constant speed relative to the rope, driven by reduction gears, but certainly the wheels in the second loop would have to be separately controlled if they're going to stop a cabin for loading.

The other way to create a hole would be to take a cabin offline every time they add one online.

FYI - some fencing came down around one of the Skyliner poles near the International Gateway.

I will admit, as excited as I am about this project as a whole, I do think they could have made the actual poles a bit more attractive - at least the ones that are so prominent

upload_2019-2-21_10-27-49.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter