Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Yeah, you might also have people like me asking for an unwrapped cabin so they can see out the window. They say those perforated wraps are supposed to be see-thru from the inside, but I've always found them annoying when riding buses & monorails.

i agree - and with the windows already to have a reflective coating I wonder how that impacts things - like, will it now be even harder to see out with the wraps or will the wraps not impact things as much because there is already the coating on the windows?

Easily handled by the CM. They can just have that party step off to the side until the desired car comes around.

In theory that works - if it is one family. What if there are 15 or 20 families that each want specific ones?

(obviously I am playing it out to a bit of an extreme - but are the stations designed to have a "holding pen" for a few groups that are waiting for specific one?)

In theory that works - if it is one family. What if there are 15 or 20 families that each want specific ones?

(obviously I am playing it out to a bit of an extreme - but are the stations designed to have a "holding pen" for a few groups that are waiting for specific one?)

My guess is, if it's busy they won't allow waiting at all. If it isn't, they may not care if you'd rather wait for the next cabin or something. So, going back to your resort for an afternoon nap might be the best opportunity to get to choose your gondola cabin, but arriving in the morning or departing at park close time, they'll just want to keep the lines moving.

My guess is, if it's busy they won't allow waiting at all. If it isn't, they may not care if you'd rather wait for the next cabin or something. So, going back to your resort for an afternoon nap might be the best opportunity to get to choose your gondola cabin, but arriving in the morning or departing at park close time, they'll just want to keep the lines moving.

makes sense - and I could see that. Also suspect at peak times if you are a small party you may have to share a cabin with another small party, but mid-day they won't require that

Admittedly this is reaching a bit, but I was thinking they could have a token board for the most popular characters. If a family wants a particular character, they would be given the token with that character's picture. When that cabin arrives, a cm could easily look to the board to see if that token is out, and if it is, then call for the family to surrender the token and get on board. If a family asks for a character and the token's already out, they'd be out of luck.

Admittedly this is reaching a bit, but I was thinking they could have a token board for the most popular characters. If a family wants a particular character, they would be given the token with that character's picture. When that cabin arrives, a cm could easily look to the board to see if that token is out, and if it is, then call for the family to surrender the token and get on board. If a family asks for a character and the token's already out, they'd be out of luck.

I think a lot will depend on where the demand is. if it turns out that a lot of people really want to be in very specific cabins, then maybe they do something like this. If it is more that people just want to be in a cabin with characters on it (but not particular about which) then maybe they do a "sub-line" like they do for people who want to sit in the front of some rollercoasters

But mom! Look! Two cars back is Elsa! I want that one. You know it's going to happen.

Easily handled by the CM. They can just have that party step off to the side until the desired car comes around.
We kinda have the opposite problem in our home in that my daughter is petrified of the Haunted Mansion. (Yes we've talked about it, watched YouTube, etc. I just go with it as it's not something worth stressing over.) She has already asked me if we can let others pass us if we're supposed to get a cabin with the HM characters on it. I'm sure there would be many who would love to take one of those. :)

We'll also chat through though that if it's not possible we'll take what we're given and we'll be fine. Looking forward to hearing how they handle things. For us, we'd be happy with anything other than HM and if that's what we get then we'll be fine with it too.

We kinda have the opposite problem in our home in that my daughter is petrified of the Haunted Mansion. (Yes we've talked about it, watched YouTube, etc. I just go with it as it's not something worth stressing over.) She has already asked me if we can let others pass us if we're supposed to get a cabin with the HM characters on it. I'm sure there would be many who would love to take one of those. :)

We'll also chat through though that if it's not possible we'll take what we're given and we'll be fine. Looking forward to hearing how they handle things. For us, we'd be happy with anything other than HM and if that's what we get then we'll be fine with it too.

One thing to consider is that if she is IN the HM cabin, then she can't SEE the HM cabin. If she takes the next one, then she'll have to face away from the HM cabin the whole time you're moving. I do understand her concern though and for the most part, I can't imagine her not being accommodated.

I hope that they simply say no, you take the next cabin in line. No need for holdups over something like this (yes I know some people will try).

I hope so too - like a lot of things, depends how much people insist/complain/demand and Disney wanting people to be happy. Like has been mentioned I can see it being easier for them to say "no" during busy times

That's an intersting point I hadn't thought of ... I would think the CMs would want to do what would be best for your daugther or others who would be scared / upset by being in a particular one

Seriously though, I would be much less annoyed by a child needing to AVOID a certain gondola than a kid screaming because they didn't get to ride in a particular one of their choosing. I think most would agree with me there. It should be fairly easy as you approach the station to see which cabin you'll be riding in and perhaps let the folks behind you go ahead if you see the undesirable gondola heading your way. There might only be one HM gondola cabin on the entire system (when you consider the plethora of characters and themes they have to choose from, it doesn't make much sense to have many duplicates). I hope you find it easy to avoid!

Seriously though, I would be much less annoyed by a child needing to AVOID a certain gondola than a kid screaming because they didn't get to ride in a particular one of their choosing. I think most would agree with me there. It should be fairly easy as you approach the station to see which cabin you'll be riding in and perhaps let the folks behind you go ahead if you see the undesirable gondola heading your way. There might only be one HM gondola cabin on the entire system (when you consider the plethora of characters and themes they have to choose from, it doesn't make much sense to have many duplicates). I hope you find it easy to avoid!
Thank you!! She's an amazing kiddo who just does not like the HM and I don't push it. I'm hoping you're quite right and I think it will be easy to avoid that/those cabins. If it's not possible she can bury her head into me for the quick trip to our next station, just like she does when we walk by HM on our way from A to B.

But mom! Look! Two cars back is Elsa! I want that one. You know it's going to happen.
Nope Disney is going to play off the transportation cards and turn this into Gondola Bingo collector card. Characters instead of numbers and you can mark the ones you ride.

I have heard that you will need to book your character gondola 180 days out. ;)

I have heard that you will need to book your character gondola 180 days out. ;)
Sorry bud you have this wrong. I don't blame you though, it's not mentioned in the permits. It's more of a DVC thing, you understand? At least 7 months out to book your Gondola if it's not your home resort.

Thank you!! She's an amazing kiddo who just does not like the HM and I don't push it. I'm hoping you're quite right and I think it will be easy to avoid that/those cabins. If it's not possible she can bury her head into me for the quick trip to our next station, just like she does when we walk by HM on our way from A to B.
I promise I'm not judging, just curious, how old is your daughter? I'm picturing a 13 yo burying her face walking by HM and it is cracking me up :).

I never minded haunted house rides as a kid, but really hated most other scary things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter