Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

We booked CBR for our Feb trip largely for the Skyliner. If it isn't running for them we may just move offsite
We're sort of stuck. I've actually looked to see if we could move but slim pickins for the second week of December! Also, we booked this as a free dining bounce back in Oct 2018 and I'd hate to lose that benefit. Let's just hope the Skyliner "growing pains" are over.

I think one smart thing they did was put up signs reminding/warning people that the system will make short stops on a somewhat regular basis. That way people aren't getting nervous over the run of the mill 2 minute stops while someone is needing additional load time somewhere along the line.

I also think loading smaller groups is smart. I think it's always just faster to load less people, no matter who they are. And, if there are a few groups who don't know one another, as others said, they may be more moving around to find a balanced, yet comfortable seating arrangement for everyone. Some kids (or even adults) won't want to sit next to someone they don't know, so they'll be taking longer while they try to swap spots, etc.

Last edited:
I'm betting Disney doesn't want big numbers on the bottom of the cars. So people don't look up and wonder why they need numbers.

I thinks guests on the ground would actually like the numbers on the bottom. They could easily identify their favorites, ones they had been on before, ones they still want to ride on someday. Folks working on spreadsheets could get info from the ground instead of only by actually riding, etc.

I think one smart thing they did was put up signs reminding/warning people that the system will make short stops on a somewhat regular basis. That way people aren't getting nervous over the run of the mill 2 minute stops while someone is needing additional load time somewhere along the line.

I also think loading smaller groups is smart. I think it's always just faster to load less people, no matter who they are. And, if there are a few groups who don't know one another, as others said, they may be more moving around to find a balanced, yet comfortable seating arrangement for everyone. Some kids (or even adults) won't want to sit next to someone they don't know, so they'll be taking longer while they try to swap spots, etc.

Yeah, having that sign from the start would have helped - also with all the reports coming out after expectations (be they right or wrong) that there wouldn't be any/many cast a bit of shade on the efficiency of the system and made people worry it wouldn't function as expected

I thinks guests on the ground would actually like the numbers on the bottom. They could easily identify their favorites, ones they had been on before, ones they still want to ride on someday. Folks working on spreadsheets could get info from the ground instead of only by actually riding, etc.

Heck, they could probably theme them for the character cars too with images or like a font that fits the theme

Sure, but it also accentuates the need to find certain cars in an emergency. And that makes them think about emergencies. And I still think they won't do it.

Sure, but it also accentuates the need to find certain cars in an emergency. And that makes them think about emergencies. And I still think they won't do it.
I don’t believe that the gondolas being numbered on the bottom (if they choose to do this) will be related to emergencies in people’s minds for long. It is very common for transportation vehicles to be numbered for general identification, not just for emergencies. Very soon it would just be part of the gondola similar to bus, plane and train car numbering.

I'm sure those will be repaired, there wasn't that much damage.
Good point, not as severe as the monorail incident. I just didn't know if Disney would want those number and color combinations still running after the pictures circulated. I was wondering if they would be recolored, renumbered, or wrapped differently once repaired or taken out of circulation completely.

I don’t believe that the gondolas being numbered on the bottom (if they choose to do this) will be related to emergencies in people’s minds for long. It is very common for transportation vehicles to be numbered for general identification, not just for emergencies. Very soon it would just be part of the gondola similar to bus, plane and train car numbering.

They're so clearly numbered on the sides and inside, I think that having numbers on the bottom is just one more way to identify them for maintenance and other reasons, not just emergencies.

Good point, not as severe as the monorail incident. I just didn't know if Disney would want those number and color combinations still running after the pictures circulated. I was wondering if they would be recolored, renumbered, or wrapped differently once repaired or taken out of circulation completely.

I don’t think those are the only teal and yellow gondolas in the system, and how many people are going to remember the numbers? Besides, the gondolas themselves didn’t have anything wrong with them that caused the accident, so it’s not as if riding in them puts anyone in any greater risk of being involved in a future incident.

Watching videos, it looks like the gondolas are coming into the station a little differently - slowing a bit sooner when entering the station. They used to come in so fast, it looked like you were about to hit the car ahead of you, but not now. Much gentler stop/approach.

Watching videos, it looks like the gondolas are coming into the station a little differently - slowing a bit sooner when entering the station. They used to come in so fast, it looked like you were about to hit the car ahead of you, but not now. Much gentler stop/approach.
Makes me wonder how much they have slowed the entire system down to do that.

Here is the original post about the cabin numbers being a problem.
Never “officially” documented.
So possibly not a big problem

Oops can’t get it to show the quote. Here is a picture of it. It’s post #9859
87B4B0BC-C571-42A5-825E-29D562E4A1B6.png
BA2B3911-5C5A-4AE0-A0BF-638D71D652C2.png
C93AA2A1-A0C0-4A5E-899B-E3B2276E7BD7.pngC93AA2A1-A0C0-4A5E-899B-E3B2276E7BD7.png

(Meant to quote the post wondering if they had slowed down the system.)

It didn't look to me like they had slowed the system. The main line still came toward the station at a good clip, it was like the braking IN the station that was different.
Think of cars approaching traffic at a stop light, and the difference between the guy who barrels up to the car ahead of him and slams on the brakes just before hitting it vs. the guy who takes his foot off the gas and gently applies the brakes to stop smoothly. It's like that.

And for what reason, since the accident happened on departure anyway.
I would say they are slowing them on entrance strictly for a better guest experience, not because it was mechanically necessary. There were lots of reports of worried / anxious riders due to the cabins coming in so fast and stopping just short of hitting other gondolas at the stations. This will calm those complaints.

More time for boarding and disembarking can be had by,
1. Slowing down to an even lower crawl to pass along the platforms,
2. Allocating more length of the platform as boarding space and disembarking space.
This is probably why it seems as if the gondola system seems slower now.

I am thinking now that pressing a stop button (anywhere) sets in motion a chain of events that results in the main rope (cable) stopping in about ten seconds if the start button is not pressed sooner. The stop and restart experienced by the guest is similar to what happens on Spaceship Earth or Haunted Mansion or similar rides when the system is stopped for someone who needs more time to board or disembark.

But I still think that, perhaps with considerable redesign and revamping of software and cotrols but without actually replacing the overhead track and friction rollers (tires) at Riviera station, a gondola could stop there between the disembarking and boarding zones for up to 60 seconds without the need to stop the main rope.

Oh, by the way, this past August I observed a stop of Peter Pan, which reputedly has been difficult to stop and restart. I saw the affected person stumbling and trying to catch the ride vehicle prior to landing in a lounge area with a sofa at the far end of the moving walkway. The ride started up smoothly after a few seconds and I did not see any fancy moves on the part of CMs..

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter