Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Disney: It's all about the small details and slowing down and taking in those magic moments

Also Disney: Now you have to use the app or internet to make/changing dining reservations, we just pushed 17 alerts to your phone, oh and we have a genie coming so you can use your phone even more!!!!
I feel like after we’ve used our 3rd fp, I’m constantly using my phone to refresh and refresh... looking for more fast passes. I want to stop and enjoy my family and the atmosphere but I also get determined to find something so we can go on more rides and make good use of our time.

Here's a screen cap of P2P's video showing spacing in the load area at CBR for DHS yesterday. Are they slightly farther apart? I can't decide.

Here is P2P from his first time riding, from CBR to DHS, definitely looks like there is a spacing change (more distance between cars now). Tried to get a screen shot of roughly the same anglegondola.PNG

hard to tell when not at exact same angle. If they are different, doesn't seem to me to be too big of a change

If there were to change, wouldn't it be so they go even slower in the stations to allow more time to load and thus would be closer together not further apart? :confused3
I'll be the first to admit that I don't truly understand how these work but, if they went slower through the station, wouldn't that mean they would have to slow down the main line too so that they didn't start to bunch up at the entrance to the station?

I compare it to traffic at an intersection. If the traffic is moving slower across the intersection, then fewer cars can enter the intersection as there isn't room on the other side for them to safely enter.

LOL, there is a reason I'm in IT and not gondola construction and calculations!

I'm just glad they've opened it up again. I wonder if we'll be able to figure out what additional work they're going to do later this week. Probably not.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't truly understand how these work but, if they went slower through the station, wouldn't that mean they would have to slow down the main line too so that they didn't start to bunch up at the entrance to the station?

I compare it to traffic at an intersection. If the traffic is moving slower across the intersection, then fewer cars can enter the intersection as there isn't room on the other side for them to safely enter.

LOL, there is a reason I'm in IT and not gondola construction and calculations!

no, as the cars detach from the main line when in the station ... so if the main station has 100 ft of room and each car now takes slightly longer to get through those 100 ft (b/c they are moving more slowly) there would be more cars in the station at any one time, and thus they would be closer together

no, as the cars detach from the main line when in the station ... so if the main station has 100 ft of room and each car now takes slightly longer to get through those 100 ft (b/c they are moving more slowly) there would be more cars in the station at any one time, and thus they would be closer together
And therein is the challenge and it appears that the gondolas in the station are now farther apart then they were before the accident.

Good point, not as severe as the monorail incident. I just didn't know if Disney would want those number and color combinations still running after the pictures circulated. I was wondering if they would be recolored, renumbered, or wrapped differently once repaired or taken out of circulation completely.
There are several previously crashed aircraft flying around, including both of the SW planes that have killed someone. Those get much more press than this event and no one was seriously hurt. I also didn't know the numbers until you posted them and I've spent hours reading about the incident.

*I think the Chicago aircraft is now retired, but flew for years after it killed the boy in Chicago.

And therein is the challenge and it appears that the gondolas in the station are now farther apart then they were before the accident.

right, so if they are in fact further apart that means they have to cover that 100 feet (or whatever it is) in less time as few cars in the station at once and thus would be moving more quickly than before

In the end, I don't think it is a big change either way spped wise, but maybe these slightly larger gaps make it safter / less chance of collision ... probably will never know the truth though (at least not directly from Disney)

right, so if they are in fact further apart that means they have to cover that 100 feet (or whatever it is) in less time as few cars in the station at once and thus would be moving more quickly than before

Unless they are able to move ~10% slower than before while adding spacing because there's ~10% fewer cars in the station at a time? 🤔Hard to say.

I recall them never being really bunched up around the "U", only on the unloading and loading straightaways, implying there's some play in the spacing.

Unless they are able to move ~10% slower than before while adding spacing because there's ~10% fewer cars in the station at a time? 🤔Hard to say.

I recall them never being really bunched up around the "U", only on the unloading and loading straightaways, implying there's some play in the spacing.

true, if there was a larger gap around the U then they could just be having more even spacings and not impact the speed. Either way, I don't think it would impact speed that much with just a little more or less room, but maybe this just gives a bit more clearance for when they "take off and land"

I’m not sure if this is important, but when we came into the CBR station from the Studios we saw a number of buckets hanging on a metal track in the storage area. I wonder if they took those buckets offline to make more room between the ones that were flying.

The gondolas look farther apart now.
Hint: Compare the separation of the open door panels at the cabin doorways with the separation of the door panels between adjacent cabins, at least two doorways and two cabin gaps in a row alternating.
Note: If cabins are not uniformly spaced on the cable, then they would not be uniformly spaced in a station.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if this is important, but when we came into the CBR station from the Studios we saw a number of buckets hanging on a metal track in the storage area. I wonder if they took those buckets offline to make more room between the ones that were flying.

was that the blue and yellow ones that were involved in the incident? I saw a report those were taken off the line and being stored at CBR

I had said on a thread somewhere that they needed fewer cars on the line or more spacing.

Also, they should never make people share cabins. I know it's unrealistic but it should be 1 party per cabin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter