Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Someone who works for a lift at a ski resort said that it takes them a couple days to train new people who have no prior experience. Yes, there will be higher level positions that require more training, but most can be trained quickly.

We have also heard that it's very likely to open well before the "Fall" date Disney has been saying.
The operators can be trained quickly. The maintenance crew need a bit more training and experience. You can train a desk jockey how to operate them in a few hours in most cases. The loading will be more complex than the average ski area, so that will add time, but it's not a months long training.

I guess I'm just being greedy as I will be at POP at the end of July and was really hoping to get to go for a ride on the new Gondolas. I guess it will be high hopes.

i said this on a different thread, but it deserves to be here: Come on, guys, you are making it sound like Disney and Dopplemeyer are like a bunch of kids building a tree house with a rope between it and the next tree. You make it sound like engineers, very smart people, have never considered the problems that might come with gondolas. But that isn't the case, even if this first system is really just the 'technology demonstrator model' for Disney World.

The first, PASSENGER Gondola systems were built in the 1930s. Dopplemeyer, the company Disney has selected has been building machinery for 120 years and specializing in gondolas for decades. They are definitely recognized as some of the world leaders in Gondola technology. Disney knows where Disney World is. They have half a century of dealing with the weather here. They know it is hot in summer. And that there is lightning. And that some storms bring a pretty good wind component. They even know that once in a while, the hurricanes also want to visit Disney World. So, I am sure they took ALL of that into account. You need to realize that Disney is NOT just building more transportation. It is building THE transportation system of the future. If any of those things was going to be a significant problem, and they couldn't design or build around it, then they would NOT have chosen this.

I mean, like wow. Have you ever heard the saying that you don't know what you don't know? Well most people DON'T really KNOW about gondolas. But they STILL think that they DO know about gondolas. And they are wrong.

It's probably worth noting that Doppelmayr has vested interest in making the Disney World project a rousing success. Here in the United States, gondolas are primarily known as something found at a ski resort. Few people would consider them to be appropriate for an actual mass transit system.

Doppelmayr wants to sell their products in urban areas in the United States. If vacationers have a positive experience using the gondolas at Disney World, those people are far more likely to support gondola projects back in their home towns.

I completely agree with everything you wrote. But given what I wrote, I'm certain that the leadership at Doppelmayr has gone out of their way to make the Florida Project a success.

Someone who works for a lift at a ski resort said that it takes them a couple days to train new people who have no prior experience. Yes, there will be higher level positions that require more training, but most can be trained quickly.

We have also heard that it's very likely to open well before the "Fall" date Disney has been saying.

I've been watching like a hawk :magnify: for any and all tidbits I can pick up that might point to me possibly getting to ride this on our trip in May. Every time I ask the insiders to just tell it to me straight and confirm that it WON'T be open during my trip, they simply won't do that. So yeah, they're sayin' there's a chance. Does that mean I expect it? Nope. Am I even really hoping for it? Nah, not really. But you'd better believe I'll be keeping my eye on Generation Gap Bridge every day of our trip JUST IN CASE! :worship: popcorn::

My family will be at Pop Century the 1st week of September. I would love to see a gondola in action.

Leslie

My family will be at Pop Century the 1st week of September. I would love to see a gondola in action.

Leslie

I would be shocked if you don't have the opportunity to ride them to the parks!
Unless Disney changes ‘Fall 2019’ I’m not convinced they’ll be running until late September at the earliest. We're at Pop mid-September but as it stands I’m hoping but not convinced the Skyliner will be open to guests by then.

At least at 49 degrees they weren't missing AC...

My assumption is that the Skyliner will have heat and light reflective coatings built into the artwork to negate the need for AC. That and 30-50 feet up has much more airflow than ground level.

My assumption is that the Skyliner will have heat and light reflective coatings built into the artwork to negate the need for AC. That and 30-50 feet up has much more airflow than ground level.

I believe the reflective coating is separate from the artwork - assuming you are referring to the artwork of the characters as I understand not all of the cars will have characters on them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter