• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

This is slightly OT but I figure it’s a good place to get some feedback...

We were planning a trip in the fall for something between value/moderate. My family is excited about the gondolas, though we don’t know if they’ll be open by the time we go.

We tend to stay at AoA for value so that’s what I was leaning toward since it has the best of both worlds. However, with the gondolas’ main hub being at CBR we thought we might change things up and stay at CBR which would also take advantage of the minor time savings between AoA and CBR gondola ride.

So those of you who have stayed at AoA and CBR, did you prefer one over the other?

We have stayed at CBR and AoA and Pop. CBR is actually our least favorite mod, but that was before they did all the renovations. All other aspects we actually liked Pop better, especially considering the price but we are not pool people either. To us, the only place that we stay that really makes much of a difference in time getting to parks is if we stay at the Epcot resorts and walk to both Epcot and Studios and for that we prefer the BWI. All others are longer to get to one park and shorter getting to another so it evens out.

Evacuations should be exceedingly rare. Each line will have a backup generator. So, the only reason an evacuation will occur is if the main power goes out and the backup generator also fails.

Remember, many gondola lines transverse inaccessible areas like steep mountains or huge bodies of water. Any evacuation at Disney World will be child's play when compared to other gondola lines. For example, here's a gondola in Hong Kong:

hongkong-gondola-overwater.jpg

Image Courtesy Gray Line: https://www.grayline.com.hk/ticket/1/ticketfulllist/65

It's also common to have a gas engine connected directly to the drive in case the electric motor that normally drive the line fails. This would also cover the scenario you mention.

We tried to stay at CBR in August and moved to AoA. Yes, this was during construction, but it was the lame buses that drove us away. The resort is HUGE and you practically need to take an internal bus to get anywhere. Pool, food court, you name it, you are on a bus, and it takes time - a lot longer than you might think. We moved to a 1br @ AoA (we are a family of 5) and LOVED IT! The food court, atmosphere, shops, everything was better at AoA. Busses far exceeded our expectations - we rarely waited more than 15 minutes going to or coming from the parks. One negative, the pool is very popular and doesn't have a slide. I'd give the nod to CBR pool, but that's it. Personally, we will NEVER go back to CBR, but AoA is at the top of our list now.
I suppose it's really an individual thing....like the amount of people and ages of your party. But for us with older children, CBR wins. Dh and I even stayed there without kids a few years ago when they were doing bridge construction. We were in Jamaica and had to walk around the lake to get to OPR. It was a beautiful walk and wasn't a big deal at all. We were 50ish years old and not necessarily in the best of physical shape. We never took the internal bus and it never took more than 10 minutes to get anywhere.

I think people like the resorts that they like and no reviews will sway anyone from their favorites...and that is fine because we are all different. What I like might not be what everyone else likes and visa versa. It's what makes the world go 'round :grouphug:

I just wanna make sure I am understanding how the gondolas will run exactly.
I am staying at Pop! Century Resort... If I get on a Gondola and want to go to Hollywood Studios it would take me to Caribbean Beach first, would I physically get off and stand in line to board to go to Hollywood Studios or would it be a continuous ride over to Hollywood?
I am wondering the same thing with Epcot... More so i'm confused how the gondola knows if I want to go to Epcot or Hollywood? lol

I am staying at Pop! Century Resort... If I get on a Gondola and want to go to Hollywood Studios it would take me to Caribbean Beach first, would I physically get off and stand in line to board to go to Hollywood Studios or would it be a continuous ride over to Hollywood?
I am wondering the same thing with Epcot... More so i'm confused how the gondola knows if I want to go to Epcot or Hollywood? lol
You get off and transfer. Caribbean Beach will have 3 lines in and 3 lines out. One gondola line to Pop/AoA, one separate line to DHS, and one separate line that will pass through Riviera on its way to EPCOT. You will need to physically transfer at CB for any destination besides CB.

Last edited:

Everyone on the Skyliner must disembark at CBR and then reboard either the DHS or Epcot line.

You get off and transfer. Caribbean Beach will have 3 lines in and 3 lines out. One gondola line to Pop/AoA, one separate line to DHS, and one separate line that will pass through Riviera on its way to EPCOT. You will need to physically transfer at CB for any destination besides CB.

Everyone on the Skyliner must disembark at CBR and then reboard either the DHS or Epcot line.

That is what I have read, too. I guess that is why the Disney Caribbean Beach Resort Skyliner Gondola Station is so large with three different paths and a large storage area in the rear.

I can't wait to see photos.

That is what I have read, too. I guess that is why the Disney Caribbean Beach Resort Skyliner Gondola Station is so large with three different paths and a large storage area in the rear.

I can't wait to see photos.
You can see all of that in the aerial images thread.

Thank you.

I really want to see the second loop in the Disney Skyliner Station and a wheelchair entering and exiting.

I also want to see the three loading stations at the Disney Caribbean Beach Resort Skyliner Gondola Station and others.

I also want to see the queue lines for both the first and second loops.

You can see all of that in the aerial images thread.

That makes sense, In my head I was trying to imagine how they would know where I wanted to go or if it would be a continuous loop between them like the resort monorail loop, which would be so time consuming. LMAO

Thank you.

I really want to see the second loop in the Disney Skyliner Station and a wheelchair entering and exiting.

I also want to see the three loading stations at the Disney Caribbean Beach Resort Skyliner Gondola Station and others.

There is a video showing that in this thread, posted around the end of February.

There is a video showing that in this thread, posted around the end of February.

Hi, OSUZorba. Thank you, I saw that video that you directed me too.

But it doesn't show what I wanted to see. For a couple of seconds, if you look real hard, you can see on the roof where the second-row gondola might travel.

When I go down next week, I don't think that I can take any better photos with the tall fence, but maybe there might be a bench that I can try and fall off of to take some photos at Pop Century and DHS.

Gondola travel times published:
"Disney has just revealed the approximate ride times:
Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort to Disney’s Hollywood Studios: 5-6 minutes
• Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort to Disney’s Pop Century Resort or Disney’s Art of Animation Resort: under six minutes
• Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort to Disney’s Riviera Resort: about 5 minutes • Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort to International Gateway at Epcot: approximately 15 minutes

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-gondola-transportation-at-walt-disney-world/

Gondola travel times published:
"Disney has just revealed the approximate ride times:
Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort to Disney’s Hollywood Studios: 5-6 minutes
• Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort to Disney’s Pop Century Resort or Disney’s Art of Animation Resort: under six minutes
• Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort to Disney’s Riviera Resort: about 5 minutes • Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort to International Gateway at Epcot: approximately 15 minutes

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-gondola-transportation-at-walt-disney-world/
Interesting. Seems like it could be quite a long travel time (if, for example, you're staying at POP) to get to Epcot when considering getting off and reloading in addition to those travel times. Could be 30 minutes to get there - longer than bus travel...

Interesting. Seems like it could be quite a long travel time (if, for example, you're staying at POP) to get to Epcot when considering getting off and reloading in addition to those travel times. Could be 30 minutes to get there - longer than bus travel...
It might be longer ride than bus travel, but you won't have to wait on the gondolas to arrive like you would a bus, and you won't have to wait for the ECVs to unload/load the bus adding more to your travel time.

I'm a bit surprised at this one. Is there some delay at the Riviera stop that makes this so long? Or is the route just that long?
These are just approximations. It will slow down at the boardwalk turn and in the riviera station so that will slow things a little bit. It is the longest line of them too.

These are just approximations. It will slow down at the boardwalk turn and in the riviera station so that will slow things a little bit. It is the longest line of them too.
Are the gondolas going to slow down at the boardwalk turn? I didn't realize the turn had the capacity to uncouple the gondolas from the cable. I thought it was just a plain turn the cable changed direction around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter