Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

The article implied that everyone would have to get off at the Riviera station, and then get back on.

While this would be one way of handling those waiting to board at Riviera, it seems to me it would be better if, based on the real time demand at the Riviera station, the stations at Epcot and CBR will send out x and y percentages of empty cars, so those at Riviera can board (like 1 out of every 3-4 cars, or whatever works).

This would make the actual line at Riviera shorter, in terms of numbers waiting to board, but, if done correctly, the actual wait time for those boarding from Riviera would be the same. And, much better for all those not wishing to get off at Riviera.

The article implied that everyone would have to get off at the Riviera station, and then get back on.

While this would be one way of handling those waiting to board at Riviera, it seems to me it would be better if, based on the real time demand at the Riviera station, the stations at Epcot and CBR will send out x and y percentages of empty cars, so those at Riviera can board (like 1 out of every 3-4 cars, or whatever works).

This would make the actual line at Riviera shorter, in terms of numbers waiting to board, but, if done correctly, the actual wait time for those boarding from Riviera would be the same. And, much better for all those not wishing to get off at Riviera.
No you shouldn’t have to get off at Riveria. It’s a turn station with boarding.

As @rteetz said you don't have get off at Rivera, but I do think it will work as you suggest. Riviera will either communicate to CBR when empty cars are needed, or the will always send a certain number of emptys at certain times of the day. I think going to Epcot in the morning is when this will be needed the most. Coming back from Epcot at night shouldn't be as big a problem since there would be very few people getting on at Riviera, and even if there are, there will probably be far more getting off.

As @rteetz said you don't have get off at Rivera, but I do think it will work as you suggest. Riviera will either communicate to CBR when empty cars are needed, or the will always send a certain number of emptys at certain times of the day. I think going to Epcot in the morning is when this will be needed the most. Coming back from Epcot at night shouldn't be as big a problem since there would be very few people getting on at Riviera, and even if there are, there will probably be far more getting off.

I think what the article I posted was implying was that people on the Riveria side of CBR shouldn't have to walk or be transported to the CBR station and could potentially walk to the Riveria station.

Based on the calculations I did a few pages ago, I'm starting to doubt there will ever be a time that every car leaving CBR towards Epcot will be full. So it may work out without direct intervention. If not, I'm sure they'll be told to leave every fifth or so open if it doesn't happen naturally.

The capacity of this system is going to so far exceed anything else on property, I don't think you could get people to it fast enough to fill every car for a significant amount of time.

Thinking that another use for a similar system would be at DL/DCA. A skyliner from the parking structure to the DTD entrance. Or from the Paradise Pier resort?

Thinking that another use for a similar system would be at DL/DCA. A skyliner from the parking structure to the DTD entrance. Or from the Paradise Pier resort?
Interesting thought but I’m not sure it’s really needed. I'm also not sure how it would work with the city of Anaheim. They of course would be involved in such a project.

Interesting thought but I’m not sure it’s really needed. I'm also not sure how it would work with the city of Anaheim. They of course would be involved in such a project.

Knowing the little I do about the Disneyland resort layout, I feel like a wedway peoplemover would be a more feasible/easier to install system. In fact I think back in the 90s when they turned it into a “resort” that was in the cards

Bus drivers are hard to find, and buses don't hold many people and have to fight traffic.

Any old cm can drive a parking tram, and the DL Supertrams move a ton of people on a path separated from traffic.

Plus, with the new pedestrian bridge, they can just let everyone walk, or if they wanna be nice design in moving walkways like UO.

Last edited:
Bus drivers are hard to find, and buses don't hold many people and have to fight traffic.

Any old cm can drive a parking tram, and the DL Supertrams move a ton of people on a path separated from traffic.

Plus, with the new pedestrian bridge, they can just let everyone walk, or if they wanna be nice design in moving walkways like UO.
This is why the Eastern Gateway project would have been so nice! Allowing another parking structure on the east side of the park with access via a pedestrian bridge avoiding traffic! I still have a hope (though no actual rumors or info) something like that could be added. Or even just elevated pedestrian bridges along Harbor Blvd. One of the reasons I hate parking at the Toy Story Lot is the delays in driving back to the freeway-lots of long signals to allow pedestrians to cross the streets. Couldn’t you imagine how awesome something like what they have in Vegas would be!

I was just thinking about the routing process this morning and here we are chatting about it.

We will be at HS for the morning / early afternoon, but will be heading to Epcot after that. I really wanted to try the skyliner, but was conflicted if the logistics would be too much. So, would we have to get off at all on route to Epcot?

I was just thinking about the routing process this morning and here we are chatting about it.

We will be at HS for the morning / early afternoon, but will be heading to Epcot after that. I really wanted to try the skyliner, but was conflicted if the logistics would be too much. So, would we have to get off at all on route to Epcot?

To go from Hollywood Studios to Epcot via the Skyway, you will have to get off and back on at the CBR station.

There would be a line change at the CBR station.

Edit: I see IowaMom beat me to the answer ;)

So the skyliner could take just as long as the bus, depending on the number of people waiting at CBR to get on ahead of us.

Edit to add: Actually it would likely still be faster, as you wouldn't have to deal with road traffic, etc.

So the skyliner could take just as long as the bus, depending on the number of people waiting at CBR to get on ahead of us.

Edit to add: Actually it would likely still be faster, as you wouldn't have to deal with road traffic, etc.
That would probably depend more about how long you would need to wait for the bus. Also playing into this scenario is where you want to go at Epcot as the Skyliner and bus will drop off at completely different locations.

It would still be faster as it’s a continuous loader vs. a bus.

That would probably depend more about how long you would need to wait for the bus. Also playing into this scenario is where you want to go at Epcot as the Skyliner and bus will drop off at completely different locations.

Yes, thought of that too. I know it would be drop off at the IG, but we still might venture down to test track and soarin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter