Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Thanks for sharing!

I don't think I realized how close some of the buildings will be to the towers/lines - definitely going to create a different view to see the cars going by!

img_6617-jpg.314959

I was also struck by how relatively low that tower is in my pic you grabbed. Trying to picture that specific spot with a gondola car hanging doesn’t really look like a ton of clearance.

I was also struck by how relatively low that tower is in my pic you grabbed. Trying to picture that specific spot with a gondola car hanging doesn’t really look like a ton of clearance.

I noticed that too in some of the other pictures as well - specifically the ones with the towers going through the DHS parking lot (I tired to find one quick but this thread has gotten long!)

I always suspected they would be lower than a typical gondola system (it doesn't need to get over moutains or valleys or anything - just needs to be a bit higher than any traffic it might be going over) when people were worried about ruined views and seeing them from inside EPCOT, etc. - but based on the pictures so far it seems even lower than I thought - if anything, it looks like it will largely be even lower than what the Monorail gets to at times

I noticed that too in some of the other pictures as well - specifically the ones with the towers going through the DHS parking lot (I tired to find one quick but this thread has gotten long!)

I always suspected they would be lower than a typical gondola system (it doesn't need to get over moutains or valleys or anything - just needs to be a bit higher than any traffic it might be going over) when people were worried about ruined views and seeing them from inside EPCOT, etc. - but based on the pictures so far it seems even lower than I thought - if anything, it looks like it will largely be even lower than what the Monorail gets to at times
The ones in the DHS parking lot are higher than others. The closer the poles are to the station the lower they are because they are going down to the station.

The ones in the DHS parking lot are higher than others. The closer the poles are to the station the lower they are because they are going down to the station.

oh yeah, get that - and I think that is what stood out to me - some of the ones that weren't that close to the station still seemed pretty low to the ground (relatively speaking at least)

oh yeah, get that - and I think that is what stood out to me - some of the ones that weren't that close to the station still seemed pretty low to the ground (relatively speaking at least)

Agreed, I imagined them being up a lot higher. I think people assuming it will be scary and vowing to never ride might want to wait and see what it looks like before rushing to judgement.

Doppelmayr is saying capacity is 4K an hour per line. Disney is saying they expect to be able to move 3,200/hr per line which is 80% of capacity. This board is throwing around 5K an hour which is 62% of capacity. That doesn't seem like people are expecting flawless operation at full capacity.

You also keep talking about waiting in line for these. They can move a bus load of people in 60 seconds. Unless more than 60 people arrive within a few seconds of each other it is very unlike for it to take more than 90 seconds to get loaded. Also, keep in mind Disney likely drops bus service from this resorts to once an hour to these parks. Or puts them all on one loop making it a really long trip.

This all reminds of the post, a few months back, about in the opinion of posters on this board this will be either the worse gondola system ever or the most efficient one ever.

It is amazing that people can; ride parking lot shuttles, the MK train, walk, stand in lines, and stand for parades and shows in the heat for hours on end but a 10 minute gondola ride is going to be the death of everyone. How many times have we waited longer than 10 minutes for a bus in that heat?

Ryan might as well close this thread, for comments, until there is any new news as at this point we are just rehashing the same points over and over.

That would actually mean the board is throwing out 125% capacity.

I will be stunned if Disney drops bus service that much. They could, since the parks are way overcrowded, and need a thinning of the herd, but that would be a PR nightmare.

You wouldn't be wanting in line. You'd be in a small box, hanging in direct sun light. If the line stops, you'd be in a small broiler.

Most systems have all cars load in a FIFO line. One group having problems will stop the line. Ski lifts stop all the time.

As for closing the thread, this is a rumors board. Your comment fits every thread. Unless you only want threads where everybody gets on and says "this is awesome, Disney does perfection once again".

-J

Interestings systems. However, I hold Disney to higher standards than Columbia and Venezuela. The Emirates one in London does say strollers and wheelchairs must be flattened before riding.

The Singapore system has no A/C, and Singapore is brutal hot. But a friend of mine who went said that is the reason he chose not to ride it. As it goes to the island Universal Studios is on, it is slightly comparable. But, locals are used to the weather. Many Orlando visitors are not. It also says it can operate in basically 30 mph winds. Of course, how many folks would get on them with 20 mph winds at Disney is another story.

You could see some othershave solar panels and what looked to be filter intakes, so I'd assume they have A/C, but maybe not. But regardless, I doubt sweaty parents will take consolation in knowing the Disney system is just as good as some in South American's poorest countries.

It will be interesting. I think Disney is going to have to do some serious pushing to get folks to leave A/C'd busses to ride in a hot sweaty gondola six months out of the year.

The solar panels do not provide enough power for A/C, they are used to power things like lighting and information screens. This is one of the reasons that AC in gondola is very rare, the problem of how to power it. The London system has AC that is powered with ultra-capacitors which quickly charge in the stations. My understanding is that this system doesn't work very well.

Agreed, I imagined them being up a lot higher. I think people assuming it will be scary and vowing to never ride might want to wait and see what it looks like before rushing to judgement.

There is no reason for the bottoms of the gondolas to be more than 18' off the ground. Now going over roads they may want them higher so people don't worry about traffic below striking a gondola. They could actually be lower than the monorail track as oversized loads could be moved between cars or at night when it is shut down.

That would actually mean the board is throwing out 125% capacity.

I will be stunned if Disney drops bus service that much. They could, since the parks are way overcrowded, and need a thinning of the herd, but that would be a PR nightmare.

You wouldn't be wanting in line. You'd be in a small box, hanging in direct sun light. If the line stops, you'd be in a small broiler.

Most systems have all cars load in a FIFO line. One group having problems will stop the line. Ski lifts stop all the time.

As for closing the thread, this is a rumors board. Your comment fits every thread. Unless you only want threads where everybody gets on and says "this is awesome, Disney does perfection once again".

-J

2 lines X 4K/hr= 8K/hr. 5/8=62.5%

They all seem pretty low. My guess is to decrease the fear factor. And perhaps for evac planning.

https://news.sky.com/story/ski-lift-fault-strands-up-to-200-in-french-alps-11184193

If Disney hasn't sat in a meeting, discussing a situation like this for hours, they have failed. I do process safety analysis for a living, and a worst case scenario like this would be discussed as a very low probability, multiple hospitialization possible fatality scenario. And a solution would be needed. My guess is Disney is not going with a helicopter scenario, but instead will purchase some lift trucks capable of reaching the fairly low gondola cables.

-J

There is no reason for the bottoms of the gondolas to be more than 18' off the ground. Now going over roads they may want them higher so people don't worry about traffic below striking a gondola. They could actually be lower than the monorail track as oversized loads could be moved between cars or at night when it is shut down.

I notice in the aerial images over on that thread, most of the line going behind WS is actually cutting through trees. My guess is that they will have the gondolas riding pretty level with tree tops to cover up some of the backstage area at WS. And in areas like that, they don't have to be that high off the ground.

I notice in the aerial images over on that thread, most of the line going behind WS is actually cutting through trees. My guess is that they will have the gondolas riding pretty level with tree tops to cover up some of the backstage area at WS. And in areas like that, they don't have to be that high off the ground.

You could absolutely run this with the bottoms just 8' off the ground, except for crossing roads, as long as humans can't get underneath them to do stupid human things.

They all seem pretty low. My guess is to decrease the fear factor. And perhaps for evac planning.

https://news.sky.com/story/ski-lift-fault-strands-up-to-200-in-french-alps-11184193

If Disney hasn't sat in a meeting, discussing a situation like this for hours, they have failed. I do process safety analysis for a living, and a worst case scenario like this would be discussed as a very low probability, multiple hospitialization possible fatality scenario. And a solution would be needed. My guess is Disney is not going with a helicopter scenario, but instead will purchase some lift trucks capable of reaching the fairly low gondola cables.

-J
As previous posters have noted, the gondolas can be pulled into the station. Some gondola systems like this also lower to the ground.
Doppelmayr builds these for a living. They are going to ensure it's as safe as can be. They know their product and they know cable car and gondola systems.

You really think Disney hasn't looked at the safety aspect? The evacuation aspect would be RCFD's job and they have vehicles to help with monorail evacuations I would imagine they have a way to evacuate these.

You really think Disney hasn't looked at the safety aspect? The evacuation aspect would be RCFD's job and they have vehicles to help with monorail evacuations I would imagine they have a way to evacuate these.

It is clear folks don't understand risk analysis and crisis situation. Saying "Dopplemeyer knows gondolas". Of course they do. And they know they fail, like the news article from December I posted. That same type of failure in August would have vastly different consequences, especially on the PR side.

Here's another recent failure: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...s-after-langkawi-cable-car-disruption-9969768

Kuka knows robot arms. But how many videos are on YouTube of folks stuck on Forbidden Journey? Premier knows coasters, but I was stuck on Mummy for about 20 minutes my last visit.

When Mummy breaks down, the Mummies don't eat the guests. When an enclosed gondola system in 110 degree heat index breaks down, heat stress/stroke becomes a very real concern.

And of course Disney's Fire Department would have rescue vehicles. A lot of your posts are sort of "Captain Obvious" in nature. However, they don't have a teleportation system, and they will only have a few. Response time will not be 1-5 minutes.

-J

It is clear folks don't understand risk analysis and crisis situation. Saying "Dopplemeyer knows gondolas". Of course they do. And they know they fail, like the news article from December I posted. That same type of failure in August would have vastly different consequences, especially on the PR side.

Here's another recent failure: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...s-after-langkawi-cable-car-disruption-9969768

Kuka knows robot arms. But how many videos are on YouTube of folks stuck on Forbidden Journey? Premier knows coasters, but I was stuck on Mummy for about 20 minutes my last visit.

When Mummy breaks down, the Mummies don't eat the guests. When an enclosed gondola system in 110 degree heat index breaks down, heat stress/stroke becomes a very real concern.

And of course Disney's Fire Department would have rescue vehicles. A lot of your posts are sort of "Captain Obvious" in nature. However, they don't have a teleportation system, and they will only have a few. Response time will not be 1-5 minutes.

-J
Like another poster said they can manually pull the gondolas into the station. I was stuck on Spaceship Earth a couple weeks ago does that mean anything? No. I am not sure what you're trying to get at with these posts other than being extremely pessimistic and negative about the project. I am not saying you have to be all positive either but every post is how these are going to fail or what could go wrong. Why not wait and se how the operation works when it opens?

My overall ending thought is that maybe there is a reason Gondola systems aren't used for transportation in the US. What can be used, with associated failures, may survive in Singapore or Columbia. We all know how sensationalized the first failure will be for the first Disney Godola system failure.

All the "everything will be fine" folks could be right. It all comes down to chance, and what sort of early mortality issues they have with the equipment. That is risk analysis. Most likely the worst case won't happen. However, even a not worst case failure for this system could be a bad PR situation, and result in injuries/deaths.

Disney isn't infallible. I am quite confident they never sat in a meeting discussing What If a monorail door opens half way between Epcot and the TTC. And they likely never imagined a wheel failure killing a guy on Big Thunder either. And those were shoddy maintenance, plain and simple.

-J

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter